Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    It's not like cannibis is some perfect substance we are being cruelly separated from by it being illegal.

I actually disagree, cannabis is wonderful, and not allowing those who wish to take is cruel. I decide what's good and what's bad for me based on my own research, not someone else (ie, the government).

Can I ask why you are over protective of your body? This is a serious question, and I am not for one second saying there is anyhting wrong with doing this, but realistically, you don't have to never drink alcohol or never do any drugs to maintain a good body. I am still dubious about whether it's legality does play a part, whether consciously or not. Do you EVER take ANY drugs? I would be surprised if that answer was no, and if you do, it's just a contradiction of your second paragraph.

Well I obviously don't know the extent to which your mental health has suffered, but you seem to be assuming that I my self am perfectly sane, which I can tell you now, I am not. But I wouldn't quit driving if I had a car crash, I wouldn't quit walking if I fell over, I wouldn't quit eating if I choked, I still drink alcohol even though one of my family members committed suicide as a result of their alcoholism. The point is, just because cannabis has caused problems in some people, it is such a minority. Not smoking weed just because a few people have had bad experiences is no different to never crossing the road because a few people have been run over whilst doing it (a few is a massive understatement as well).

One man's trash is another man's treasure, so you might think it's wonderful but I remain it's just another intoxicant. The trouble with your own research is that I doubt you're going to pick up the bill for the mental health care, fertility problems and other health issues caused by the cannabis. As always, it will be picked up by the NHS, i.e. we the taxpayers.

Realistically my body is what keeps me alive, and I don't want my life to be hindered by avoidable health problems later down the line. You call it over-protective, I call it just sensible care. No, I never have and never will take leisure drugs and I avoid other drugs as much as possible.

My mental health is at the point now where I'm pretty much housebound, and having been in and out of mental health care for several years I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Whether one person or one million had been caused problems by cannabis that is enough for me to say it's not for me. Crossing roads is an occupational hazard of life, deliberately smoking a drug which is proven to be harmful and is completely avoidable is another matter entirely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    The trouble with your own research is that I doubt you're going to pick up the bill for the mental health care, fertility problems and other health issues caused by the cannabis. As always, it will be picked up by the NHS, i.e. we the taxpayers.
    Sorry, but could you please stop spouting this garbage as if it is fact? There are correlations between extreme cannabis use and schizophrenia. Yes. However:

a) This does not imply that one caused the other; they may be (and likely are) both brought on by compounding external factors. i.e. it is likely that one who is susceptible to mental health issues is also susceptible to becoming dependent on a drug. Alternatively, it may well be a case that the mental health issues lead to use of the drug. In fact, either of these hypotheses has more to back it up than the notion that a drug selectively induces a long-term health disorder for reasons unknown.

b) We are talking about very extreme usage here. Saying "you shouldn't smoke cannabis because it will give you mental health disorders" is much like saying "you shouldn't eat salt because you will have a heart attack."

The whole "you're costing the taxpayer money" argument is tripe, too. A sports injury costs the taxpayer money. Should we stop people playing sports? Or is it that you are sole the arbiter of what is a worthy health risk? Because I can assure you that your assessment is based on entirely arbitrary values.

ReputationRep:
    I sell most of mine to junkies in the first place and live off their addictive needs.

mwah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    One man's trash is another man's treasure, so you might think it's wonderful but I remain it's just another intoxicant. The trouble with your own research is that I doubt you're going to pick up the bill for the mental health care, fertility problems and other health issues caused by the cannabis. As always, it will be picked up by the NHS, i.e. we the taxpayers.

Realistically my body is what keeps me alive, and I don't want my life to be hindered by avoidable health problems later down the line. You call it over-protective, I call it just sensible care. No, I never have and never will take leisure drugs and I avoid other drugs as much as possible.

My mental health is at the point now where I'm pretty much housebound, and having been in and out of mental health care for several years I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Whether one person or one million had been caused problems by cannabis that is enough for me to say it's not for me. Crossing roads is an occupational hazard of life, deliberately smoking a drug which is proven to be harmful and is completely avoidable is another matter entirely.
    If I do fall victim to Mary Jane's schizo spell, I would happily pay for any costs. Anyway, why are you implying I am not a tax payer and you belong to a different group? My mum is a psychiatrist for the NHS, I probably know a lot more about the psycho-analysis of marijuana than you do, so I think I would be sorted if such a thing happened anyway. Also, I am slightly confused about your mental state, you seem to be implying it is marijuana inflicted, but you said you have never tried it, so if you're mental health state isn't related to cannabis I don't see how it is even relevant to this discussion? The views you have about weed are only there because people who smoke it are hence willing to break the law to do so, and consequently places many pot smokers in a certain category, and hence gives the drug a bad rep. The government made it illegal because it lowers productivity and hence anyone on weed would be of less use to them. You, like millions of others, are still victim to their psychological mind games. Ahh the beauty of having 2 psychiatrists as parents, you learn how to find **** out for yourself. Life is just a psychological mind game, and whoever is a step ahead of the other will come out on top.

"No, I never have and never will take leisure drug"

Ok so you are telling me you have never have a cup of coffee or a glass of coke? Rubbish. I'm surprised you don't avoid eating any sugars because you are scared of getting diabetes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    Sorry, but could you please stop spouting this garbage as if it is fact? There are correlations between extreme cannabis use and schizophrenia. Yes. However:

a) This does not imply that one caused the other; they may be (and likely are) both brought on by compounding external factors. i.e. it is likely that one who is susceptible to mental health issues is also susceptible to becoming dependent on a drug. Alternatively, it may well be a case that the mental health issues lead to use of the drug. In fact, either of these hypotheses has more to back it up than the notion that a drug selectively induces a long-term health disorder for reasons unknown.

b) We are talking about very extreme usage here. Saying "you shouldn't smoke cannabis because it will give you mental health disorders" is much like saying "you shouldn't eat salt because you will have a heart attack."

The whole "you're costing the taxpayer money" argument is tripe, too. A sports injury costs the taxpayer money. Should we stop people playing sports? Or is it that you are sole the arbiter of what is a worthy health risk? Because I can assure you that your assessment is based on entirely arbitrary values.
    I'm so with you on this one!:yy:

ReputationRep:
    'Life is just a psychological mind game, and whoever is a step ahead of the other will come out on top.'

and how exactly do you plan to come out on top if you've ****ed up your brain by smoking too much weed? Never mind whether weed gives you psychological disorders, it screws with your head in so many other ways. What about all the other side-effects which HAVE been proved?

People only like weed because it gives them a distorted sense of reality, I don't want that, i want to live in true reality, otherwise is it really living at all. At the end of the day on my death bed I want to know that i have experienced everything that life has to offer, that doesn't mean experimenting with crack or heroine, it means feeling all of life's emotions and turmoils and until you've faced them and come out on the other side you'll never feel like you've truly lived. However **** the world may seem sometimes, i still want the red pill or you're just kidding yourself and ignorance ain't always bliss.

Surely if you're parents are psycho....whatevers you should know even more about the obvious dangers of weed, i guess it's your choice though. And edd360, i think it's pretty stupid that you wouldn't realise the risk after having such a close personal loss, if you don't quit drinking for yourself then at least think of doing it for the sakes of the rest of your family?

ReputationRep:
    It stinks. Smoke it all you want, just don't come near me smelling of it. It's vilevilevile. >: (

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TinyTim322)
    'Life is just a psychological mind game, and whoever is a step ahead of the other will come out on top.'

and how exactly do you plan to come out on top if you've ****ed up your brain by smoking too much weed? Never mind whether weed gives you psychological disorders, it screws with your head in so many other ways. What about all the other side-effects which HAVE been proved?

People only like weed because it gives them a distorted sense of reality, I don't want that, i want to live in true reality, otherwise is it really living at all. At the end of the day on my death bed I want to know that i have experienced everything that life has to offer, that doesn't mean experimenting with crack or heroine, it means feeling all of life's emotions and turmoils and until you've faced them and come out on the other side you'll never feel like you've truly lived. However **** the world may seem sometimes, i still want the red pill or you're just kidding yourself and ignorance ain't always bliss.

Surely if you're parents are psycho....whatevers you should know even more about the obvious dangers of weed, i guess it's your choice though. And edd360, i think it's pretty stupid that you wouldn't realise the risk after having such a close personal loss, if you don't quit drinking for yourself then at least think of doing it for the sakes of the rest of your family?
    Your ignorance sickens me and I refuse to waste my time writing a meaningful response.

EDIT: Ok I may have been a bit hasty, and I feel bad because you seem like a nice person with good intentions, but seriously, you sound more deluded then a person with schizophrenia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Because no one has ever offered it to me without tobacco.
    To be fair, how many teens smoke weed in Lemmington Spa?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bongboy6969)

Obviusly weed is relativley harmless (compred to alcohol etc) so I don't understand the people that are so dead against it, they won't even try it!
    veeerrryyy debatable. depends who you listen to, and theres a lot of evidence both ways. very difficult to find anyone whose not got preconceptions before they start telling you its good/bad.

It is, however, definitely linked to schizophrenia if you use cannabis in your teens/early 20s and have a particular allele of a gene, so you can't say it's harmless. Unfortunately, it's also a very common mutation and there's not easy way of knowing if you have it

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...A3AEB95.d01t02

http://www.schizophrenia.com/prevent...reetdrugs.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...40-459184.html

And theres a lot of other evidence that its linked to various psychoses - this is also more debated though and I don't know that I believe it so much.

Similarly, yes alcohol can be bad - but its also got health benefits. I think for both its more about how much you drink/smoke. Though I don't know if cannabis has any positive health benefits?

Not against the stuff, never tried it, but never had the chance to, probably would if someone offered. But don't justify it as 'harmless'.

ReputationRep:
    If I want to be honest, it is because I can't be bothered to go out and waste energy on trying it. Though I've had cigarettes before, but that was given to me and I never liked the taste so I didn't get addicted to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hslt)
    It is, however, definitely linked to schizophrenia if you use cannabis in your teens/early 20s and have a particular allele of a gene, so you can't say it's harmless. Unfortunately, it's also a very common mutation and there's not easy way of knowing if you have it
    From your link
    "But the research was challenged by experts who said that there had been no increase in schizophrenia over the past 40 years, despite the explosion in cannabis use by young people. An estimated 6.2 million people take the drug.

The researchers led by Stanley Zammitt of Cardiff University say they cannot prove cannabis causes schizophrenia but the association is strong enough to warn young people of the dangers.

The findings imply that the lifetime risk of developing schizophrenia of 1 per cent in the general population would be raised to 2-3 per cent among regular cannabis users."

(Original post by hslt)
    Similarly, yes alcohol can be bad - but its also got health benefits. I think for both its more about how much you drink/smoke. Though I don't know if cannabis has any positive health benefits?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4491314.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountMancula)
    To be fair, how many teens smoke weed in Lemmington Spa?
    I wouldn't know, I've never been a teenager in Leamington Spa.

ReputationRep:
    Because I am totally happy with legal substances such as alcohol and cigarettes.
    I get offended when people are like 'Really?! You've never touched drugs?!' Apparently I just seem like the type.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    From your link
    "But the research was challenged by experts who said that there had been no increase in schizophrenia over the past 40 years, despite the explosion in cannabis use by young people. An estimated 6.2 million people take the drug.

The researchers led by Stanley Zammitt of Cardiff University say they cannot prove cannabis causes schizophrenia but the association is strong enough to warn young people of the dangers.

The findings imply that the lifetime risk of developing schizophrenia of 1 per cent in the general population would be raised to 2-3 per cent among regular cannabis users."
    Which link is that from?

There is fairly sturdy evidence that there is a gene x environment interaction with cannabis use in teens and this mutant:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...3&searchtype=a

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science.../sdarticle.pdf

The general population wouldn't have that much of a risk change as the general population doesn't have this mutation.

Also, schizophrenia has actually decreased in the last few decades according to this study:

http://assets.cambridge.org/97805217...21775403ws.pdf

So clearly there is more at work than just cannabis. Its a partly heritable condition, but vastly affected by various environmental factors which are hard to decipher from one another.

And theres actually not very much data on the use of drugs over the last few decades, so they're largely extrapolating from things like drug convictions, which again are subject to vast changes in policy/techniques/technological advances that aren't necassarily directly related to cannabis use. I agree that there probably has been a generally increased use, however, if you look at the following theres also been a large drop off. You can't really tell if the usage will have fluctuated like this for the last 30-40 years.

http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/situation/cannabis/3

And no, its very very hard to prove anything at all as far as psycological conditions go. We rarely understand much about their causality, we generally have various theories as to the dsyfunction but none 'correct' per se. The best we can do with most is to say that there is a strong link - here there is a specific strong link, and some other much more disputable links.

Fairdos. Though that doesn't say that there aren't health benefits, just that it gives both positives and negatives.

EDIT: in fact, if you read it, they're just disagreeing with the methodology used in one meta-analysis study. they say that there was a benefit produced, but they can't be certain that it was solely because of the alcohol consumption. They also say that there may only be a minor benefit in light to moderate drinking, and that this is probably outweighed by negatives in moderate to heavy. So it's in no way a black and white disagreement. It's simply saying that the study showed something that's probably due to alcohol but they haven't accounted for other variables that might be important.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's nowhere near as good as heroin and LSD.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't tried it because when I tried to try it, I discovered I was unable to inhale. This is not a joke, I really tried and failed lol, and haven't been able to get a hold of any more since then

ReputationRep:
    I just can't be bothered tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it is right to compare smoking weed to playing golf :/ two completely different things!

Weed comes with consequences, there are more fun ways to enjoy life rather than smoking drugs and not being able to remember your life....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hslt)
    Which link is that from?

There is fairly sturdy evidence that there is a gene x environment interaction with cannabis use in teens and this mutant:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...3&searchtype=a

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science.../sdarticle.pdf

The general population wouldn't have that much of a risk change as the general population doesn't have this mutation.

Also, schizophrenia has actually decreased in the last few decades according to this study:

http://assets.cambridge.org/97805217...21775403ws.pdf

So clearly there is more at work than just cannabis. Its a partly heritable condition, but vastly affected by various environmental factors which are hard to decipher from one another.

And theres actually not very much data on the use of drugs over the last few decades, so they're largely extrapolating from things like drug convictions, which again are subject to vast changes in policy/techniques/technological advances that aren't necassarily directly related to cannabis use. I agree that there probably has been a generally increased use, however, if you look at the following theres also been a large drop off. You can't really tell if the usage will have fluctuated like this for the last 30-40 years.

http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/situation/cannabis/3

And no, its very very hard to prove anything at all as far as psycological conditions go. We rarely understand much about their causality, we generally have various theories as to the dsyfunction but none 'correct' per se. The best we can do with most is to say that there is a strong link - here there is a specific strong link, and some other much more disputable links.
    Indeed. Just pointing out that, that is also debatable and not conclusive as you seemed to be suggesting

Usage of cannabis also varies greatly from country to country.

Nicotine also seems to have a strong link with schizophrenia.

Given the worst case scenario of a 2% - 3% rather than 1% its not overly worrying for the vast majority. Personally i am far more worried about the grit weed I have in the past smoked, which of course could be another factor not accounted for.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.