Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    but it didn't have any questions on the heart or bohr shift (if you don't include the fill in the gaps question) which is what I revised...
    I wanted some more stuff on the Bohr Shift and the heart and stuff. Shame such a decent topic was wasted on a fill the gap question. I could have done more on that one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimmey)
    for the histamine one did u have to talk about the receptor site having a complementary shape to a trigger and triggering a chemical response inside the cell ????????
    I did that too but I specifically mentioned about the complementary shape and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    This test was so unexpected. Like omg. Too many synoptic questions! The past January papers were a lot easier!!! The questions are quite vague as well. ( I wanna cryyy!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cor898)
    What was the last question about? I'm worried now
    it was on the the water potential experiment..i hope am i right? and where there ANY questions on the heart?? i feel like iv missed out some questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cor898)
    What was the last question about? I'm worried now
    The features of the neutrophil and how it helps its function. Something like that? LOL. I places the lobed nucleus, the flexible cytoplasm so it can engulf the cell and the presence of lysosomes with enzymes that can destroy unwanted substances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabers)
    I wanted some more stuff on the Bohr Shift and the heart and stuff. Shame such a decent topic was wasted on a fill the gap question. I could have done more on that one.
    I had finally learnt the chemical reactions and it all made sense. Now it won't be on another exam :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    felt pretty confident with this paper. finished about 20 minutes early, and i was taking my time with it. hopefully this will boost my 240 UMS up to about 260+ (got a mid C in the june '10 of this paper, due to a very stressful morning and nearly missing the exam)

ReputationRep:
    THIS YEAR they tried to confuse us,

specially on the water potential on the cell surface membrane
    but when you read again it ask which ROUTE does it go trough.

ReputationRep:
    meh... it wasn't too bad tbh. certainly easier than june 2010 but too many 'suggest' questions so everyone was like wtf.

what did everyone write for the question asking why the bunch of flowers would survive longer if the stem was cut? i wrote some random crap about how it ensured there was nothing to impede the flow of water in the xylem, as it has been freshly cut, so any potential blockages at the bottom had been removed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaez121)

yeah, i think everyone was confused on that question. i was getting all geared up to write about the apoplast/symplast pathway until i read the question again and realised it was talking about the cell surface membrane. so i wrote about how its uncharged and small, it can diffuse through the phospholipid bilayer and to get the other mark i wrote some stuff about aquaporins. then i squeezed in some stuff about how its osmosis, from high to low water potential etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CullenLoverX)
    meh... it wasn't too bad tbh. certainly easier than june 2010 but too many 'suggest' questions so everyone was like wtf.

what did everyone write for the question asking why the bunch of flowers would survive longer if the stem was cut? i wrote some random crap about how it ensured there was nothing to impede the flow of water in the xylem, as it has been freshly cut, so any potential blockages at the bottom had been removed.
    I said cutting the stem would reduce the distance water had to travel to the flowers, so it could photosynthesise at a faster rate. Somehow, I think your answer makes more sense.

ReputationRep:
    [/QUOTE]

Well the roots actively transport minerals into the xylem, and water follows by osmosis.., and as there are not any mineral to actively transport in just water, then water can pass through by osmosis, so cutting the ends means water can directly get to the xylem, so its quicker,.. this is basically what i wrote, but i should have talked about water potential more.., cant remember how many marks it was though :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by villegasdianne)
    The features of the neutrophil and how it helps its function. Something like that? LOL. I places the lobed nucleus, the flexible cytoplasm so it can engulf the cell and the presence of lysosomes with enzymes that can destroy unwanted substances.
    lol no that was the second to last question, the last one was about the osmosis experiment.
    but for the neutrophil i only wrote about the lobed nucleus and the lysosomes and i totally forgot what else it has lol
    but it was 4 marks, 1 mark for QWC so i think i must have *hopefully* got the 3 marks for describing the 2 adaptations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaez121)

I realised it was cell membranes, just put too polar to diffuse through so uses channel proteins.

ReputationRep:
    for the one when it asked why doesnt the plant cell burst, did u guys put cus of the cellulose cell wall ??????????

ReputationRep:
    any guesses at what the grade boundary will be for an A this year?

my guess is at 44

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demesto)
    I said cutting the stem would reduce the distance water had to travel to the flowers, so it could photosynthesise at a faster rate. Somehow, I think your answer makes more sense.
    I pretty much wrote the same, except left out "so it could photosynthesise at a faster rate" just wrote that water can travel to the leaves faster. Probably wrong - might get 1 mark for it XP

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Sam S)

Well the roots actively transport minerals into the xylem, and water follows by osmosis.., and as there are not any mineral to actively transport in just water, then water can pass through by osmosis, so cutting the ends means water can directly get to the xylem, so its quicker,.. this is basically what i wrote, but i should have talked about water potential more.., cant remember how many marks it was though :P
    yeah that question was weird because everyone wrote something different for it... hopefully the mark scheme will allow some leeway

ReputationRep:
    any guesses at what the grade boundary will be for an A this year?

my guess is at 44
    Just took a look at last years and the previous year grade boundaries and judging everyones performance on this exam, I would be looking at a grade boundary of 40-44 (imo).

ReputationRep:
    That exam had some crazy questions. For histamine I put it inflammes and irritates the muscle and also receptors in muscle cause it to contract in presence of histamine. I have no idea if its right becuase answer is so ambigous, plus there is nothing in text book about histamine I can find.

I feel so annoyed though becuase for label plant I put xylem as centre and phloem and cambium as bits right outside and now I realised it was vascular bundle and not root! ahh lost some easy marks on that one.

Time seemed to go quickly too for me, I had to rush last question so probably made some mistakes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.