Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidoo)
    Well your getting 20 times the capability for something not much larger than a Kindle, your already gonna spend £90 on a Kindle, you might as well pay £200 and invest in an Ipad 1 which will be far more useful.
    iPads are everything but useful for most people, they're just a bit of fun. The OP wants an e-reader and iPads are the worst e-readers about.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your replies!

To those telling me to get an iPad, yes i'm aware iPads exist and it would be nice if fanboys weren't trying to ram them down everyone else throats all the time.If i wanted an iPad i would have asked about iPads. They cost at least £300 more then an e-reader and the screen would just reflect in the sun - one big thing i want to avoid. Plus all the other features of an iPad are irreverent when i have a smart phone.

Anyway I went in town today and had a play with the Kobo's. I did find the touch screen one a bit weird, there was no back button when you were going through settings and stuff (from what i could tell anyway) so i had to keep going into the home screen. The buttons on the Kobo wireless were much better and its £30 cheaper. Everyone seems to love Kindles but the basic one is 20quid more than the Kobo and i'm not really sure abut the look of it. Definitely wouldn't be worth me paying 150quid for the Kindle keyboard.

It's such a hard decision ahha, because i don't want to buy it then end up reading a lot less than anticipated, especially once i get back to uni and assignments start coming in again someone help me decideee!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    Kindle Fire Kobo is a fake kindle.
    The Kindle fire isn't available in the UK! and the colour screen instead of e-ink means its no anti glare

(Original post by lauraaaa.xo)
      The Kindle fire isn't available in the UK! and the colour screen instead of e-ink means its no anti glare
      Says e ink on amazon

ReputationRep:

To those telling me to get an iPad, yes i'm aware iPads exist and it would be nice if fanboys weren't trying to ram them down everyone else throats all the time.If i wanted an iPad i would have asked about iPads. They cost at least £300 more then an e-reader and the screen would just reflect in the sun - one big thing i want to avoid. Plus all the other features of an iPad are irreverent when i have a smart phone.

Anyway I went in town today and had a play with the Kobo's. I did find the touch screen one a bit weird, there was no back button when you were going through settings and stuff (from what i could tell anyway) so i had to keep going into the home screen. The buttons on the Kobo wireless were much better and its £30 cheaper. Everyone seems to love Kindles but the basic one is 20quid more than the Kobo and i'm not really sure abut the look of it. Definitely wouldn't be worth me paying 150quid for the Kindle keyboard.

It's such a hard decision ahha, because i don't want to buy it then end up reading a lot less than anticipated, especially once i get back to uni and assignments start coming in again someone help me decideee!
      I do believe that if you order a kindle off of Amazon, you have 30 days in which you can return it and have it, and any e-books you bought, refunded. You could always buy one and try it out.

I have just bought the cheaper kindle, and thought I would hate it as I was very much of the opinion that you can't beat the feel of a book etc. but I actually love mine, it's really nice to read on and the pages look just like that of a book.

The main thing I like about it is that you can choose a book, download it and start reading within seconds, no more waiting for them to come in the post or having to go to the shops to get them.

I've noticed, though, that a lot of e-books are actually more expensive than their paper versions, which is annoying considering it doesn't make much sense, no binding, paper costs etc. but there are ways of downloading books for free, so you can easily get over that.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by blueray)
      Says e ink on amazon
      Where haha, pretty sure it doesn't?
      How can it be e-ink and colour screen?

ReputationRep:
      May be a stupid question, but once you buy a book on the Kindle can you sync it to laptops, iPhone (with Kindle app) etc?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jess Holly)
      May be a stupid question, but once you buy a book on the Kindle can you sync it to laptops, iPhone (with Kindle app) etc?
      Yes you can - it even keeps track of where you are in the book from various devices, so if you started the book on your Kindle and then wanted to read some more on your phone, it would be able to sync through an internet connection and prompt you to go to the appropriate page - and the same when you got back to your Kindle. Works very well on first read through (though it doesn't seem to support re-reading at the moment).

ReputationRep:
      I got the kindle 4 for christmas off my mum and I love it. I spend a lot of time between mine,my mums, my dads and my sisters house and its easier than carrying a couple of books with me. I originally had the reading app on my laptop but it can be awkward to curl up on sofa to read while balancing a laptop on me so I wanted to get the kindle instead. I transferred my books on christmas morning and presently lost my kindle for the day to my mum,who now wants one despite saying she didnt see the appeal as she likes books. I never saw the appeal till I played on my dads a few months ago. I will still buy normal books as theres certain sets I want properly,like the terry pratchett and karen slaughter ones,and I would love to have a huge library of proper books one day,but for now my flat is too small for lots of books so that plan is on hold till I have more money and a bigger house that will hold more than 2 bookcases.

ReputationRep:
      I got a Kindle for Christmas and fell in love with it. So easy to read on and so simple to use.

I somehow managed to trip over and drop it in the kitchen sink today though...and the 1 year warranty doesn't cover accidental damage turned it off fast and now I'm leaving it to dry in a bag of rice but I'm pretty sure it won't have survived. I'm going to be lost without it.

I could kick myself :mad: I've only had it for a few days and I've already broken it

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheQuietOne)
      I got a Kindle for Christmas and fell in love with it. So easy to read on and so simple to use.

I somehow managed to trip over and drop it in the kitchen sink today though...and the 1 year warranty doesn't cover accidental damage turned it off fast and now I'm leaving it to dry in a bag of rice but I'm pretty sure it won't have survived. I'm going to be lost without it.

I could kick myself :mad: I've only had it for a few days and I've already broken it
      It sounds like it would take serious skill to accomplish that manoeuvre so err.. well done?

Drying it out probably won't work as I imagine immersion would utterly screw with the screen. Worth a try, though.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Darren-M)
      It sounds like it would take serious skill to accomplish that manoeuvre so err.. well done?

Drying it out probably won't work as I imagine immersion would utterly screw with the screen. Worth a try, though.
      Thanks I guess wasn't really skill though, just idiocy. I slipped on the wet floor and went to grab the sink edge to stop myself falling. Unfortunately my Kindle was in that hand...so it went in the sink.

I was going to take the back cover off it and dry it out that way, until a friend told me that might void the 1 year warranty it came with and stop any chance of help from Amazon. (Apparently they're often nice and offer money off replacements even though they don't technically cover accidents.) Decided to try putting it in some rice instead.

ReputationRep:

I find my Kindle really useful for uni actually, as you can read journal articles from JSTOR & the like on them, saving you both having to print them out, or trying to read them on a computer screen, which strains the eyes. I also read books from the likes of Early English Books Online (I'm a historian), as they're all PDF format, and it's saved me a ton of paper & printer ink already. Just another thing to consider about Kindles/e-readers

ReputationRep:
      I've recently brought a kindle and are very pleased with it, there are loads of free books (the majority of classics are free) and its much easier to hold than a heavy book (:

ReputationRep:
      Is there an easy way to download entire papers, etc. from sites like RefWorks? I would get a Kindle if this could be done! At the moment each chapter is an individual file which is a pass in the ass.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by gutenberg)
      I find my Kindle really useful for uni actually, as you can read journal articles from JSTOR & the like on them, saving you both having to print them out, or trying to read them on a computer screen, which strains the eyes. I also read books from the likes of Early English Books Online (I'm a historian), as they're all PDF format, and it's saved me a ton of paper & printer ink already. Just another thing to consider about Kindles/e-readers
      Sorry, forgot to quote you with my above post!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheQuietOne)
      Thanks I guess wasn't really skill though, just idiocy. I slipped on the wet floor and went to grab the sink edge to stop myself falling. Unfortunately my Kindle was in that hand...so it went in the sink.

I was going to take the back cover off it and dry it out that way, until a friend told me that might void the 1 year warranty it came with and stop any chance of help from Amazon. (Apparently they're often nice and offer money off replacements even though they don't technically cover accidents.) Decided to try putting it in some rice instead.
      Whenever my iPhone is water damaged I stick it in some rice and it always comes out good as new, so you never know! Seriously though, this is why I'm never getting a Kindle. I wouldn't trust myself with it

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by la-dauphine)
      Whenever my iPhone is water damaged I stick it in some rice and it always comes out good as new, so you never know! Seriously though, this is why I'm never getting a Kindle. I wouldn't trust myself with it
      There are water-proof cases and whatnot if you want to read it by the pool. on holiday. Some even have floatation devices attached so it doesn't fall to the bottom.

Saying that though.. a Kindle is definitely one of the cheapest pieces of tech to replace if you have to. I certainly wouldn't fancy dropping an iPad in the sink!

ReputationRep:
      Just means I read (and spend) a LOT more..

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by la-dauphine)
      Ooooh nice! I hope the rice trick works that well for me too then.

How long do you leave the iPhone in the rice? I've heard anything from a few hours to a fortnight so I'm not sure how long to wait for my Kindle. Nervous about turning it on too soon

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2012
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.