Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Exams are over. Now feels like I have so much time to just chill :proud:
    Lucky! Hope they went okay! Roll on 09/02. This month is ****.

How's your external application going? You going to the open day on the 27th?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i'm no superman)
    If you guys are going to the King's open day, let me know what it's like yeh? Travelling the full length of the UK for a 2 hour open 'day' is not really feasible
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Can anybody give me a simplified mechanism of action for lisinopril please? :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i'm no superman)
    Lucky! Hope they went okay! Roll on 09/02. This month is ****.
    One was ****, one was OK, the other was good. No idea how I've done at all.
    All the best for yours.
    For King's I'm just awaiting my referee to finish my reference, which could be any time over the next few weeks before the deadline, I guess. For Leeds, I want to wait until my results are out for this January and take it from there.

Nah, I won't be doing. I'm timetabled that day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Can anybody give me a simplified mechanism of action for lisinopril please? :puppyeyes:
    I'll try

Lisinopril binds to ACE (and so reduces the amount of Angiotensin I that can bind to ACE and be converted to Angiotensin II).

Angiotensin II normally causes:

vasoconstriction: decreased AII levels will mean this doesn't happen and so there is reduced total peripheral resistance -> lower BP.

aldosterone secretion and sodium/water reabsorption in the kidneys: which raises BP, so lower AII levels -> lower BP.

As an added extra the drop in BP causes baroreceptors to release kininase II (which acts like ACE) and tries to break down bradykinin (a vasodilator). ACEIs also prevent that degradation of bradykinin (relatively increasing levels) and that potentiates its vasodilatory effect, keeping the BP lower.

EDIT: I found it helps to look at diagrams of the Renin-Angiotensin system to see where ACEI, ARBs and Renin inhibitors act and then re-draw your own diagram with the effects of AII etc added so that you have it all there in one diagram...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubble Toes)
    I'll try
    I only need it for a logbook, so the information you provided was exactly what I needed. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Well I can tell you we have the same rotation pattern if that's any clue :p:
    Not really mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kanonoji)
    Not really mate
    Medicine's all about pattern recognition. :p:

If I say I have the same teaching pattern as him (not similar - the same), one might not be untoward in believing we go to the same university :p:

ReputationRep:
    Medicine's all about pattern recognition. :p:

If I say I have the same teaching pattern as him (not similar - the same), one might not be untoward in believing we go to the same university :p:
    Oh my badness. Didn't know where the other guy went either.

ReputationRep:
    Lost my USB.. which as all my work on it for the year.. and half of this weekends PBL.............. :sigh:

Might cry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    shoudl be drinking. obviously
    I do have whiskey in my cupboard... hmmm...

I wish it were!!!
    My sleep pattern would be considered pretty normal then
    My mistake :O Oops.

(Original post by Helenia)
    That is a sign you should be in bed. There comes a point when sleep is more important and more useful than trying to cram.
    Good point. Although I suppose when cramming it feels like I'm doing something! Sleeping, although amazing, feels like a waste of time at this stage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chernij)

My mistake :O Oops.

Dude that was so long ago I don't even know what my point was :p:

ReputationRep:
    Greetings one and all!

I've been away from TSR for a while, signed in today and realised there was something missing on my homepage - watching this thread. Hadn't subbed to it since the new one was created! Fail.

Busy busy term at the moment though. Two weeks in and I think I need another holiday.

ReputationRep:
    hmm..iBsc brochure, methinks I might be heading to Neuro...my worry is that I'll be very rusty on the pre-clinical science compared to all the second years - there is also the inkling of fear at having to do neuroanatomy, again.

ReputationRep:
    Our iBSc deadline is on the 7th Feb. Neuro is in my shortlist. Kinda swaying towards Med Ed though. There aren't many choices here tbh. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    hmm..iBsc brochure, methinks I might be heading to Neuro...my worry is that I'll be very rusty on the pre-clinical science compared to all the second years - there is also the inkling of fear at having to do neuroanatomy, again.
    Dude you saw what people wrote about neuro on your FB wall - if you choose this nightmare haha you have no right to complain next year :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    Oh dear god who would voluntarily put themselves through that torture!

All neuro has done is convince me I have UMND and caused a mental breakdown due to its total incomprehensibility.

ReputationRep:
    Anatomically, when something is described as proper as in 'Notice that this is only a short distance and that the artery proper is not very long' - does it just refer to the main bulk of the thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    Anatomically, when something is described as proper as in 'Notice that this is only a short distance and that the artery proper is not very long' - does it just refer to the main bulk of the thing?
    It's the use of it as in everyday (well well-spoken everyday) English.

So my guess is that you're talking about one of the coronary arteries right?
    The blah proper is it in its full self in that case, before it branches off into e.g. Left anterior descending etc.

ReputationRep:
    I have never heard proper used and I have only not done the lower leg and intrinsic muscles of the hand

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.