Turn on thread page Beta

Anti-Americanism watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robot Chicken)
    doi, miami is in florida then yeh?
    well for someone who has never even left the country i think i did pretty well.
    am going to be spending 4 days in miami this summer en route to ozzie and am well psyched. i think its cos of all the CSI miami i watch.
    G-d forbid Florida had double the Senators. Where did you hear about the non-prominent states if you don't mind me asking?

as for sicilians, am curious. do you calss someone born in america of sicilian born parents as sicilian? cos personally i don't. (same with brits born of indian parents here). So how many 'sicilian' people are there in new york these days - when did the mass immigration stop?
    No I don't. There aren't too many Sicilians in the US (quite a few people are descended from them though; the Italian Mob, which has its origins in Sicily, was quite useful in providing intelligence to the US military during WWII), but a lot do visit their relatives, and there are still Italian bars, cafes, and pizzerias on almost every block in areas that used to be predominantly Italian. And it's traditional for Italian-Americans to go to Italy to find a bride and then come back. I think the mass migration stopped in the early 20th century.

Its quite curious how it is much mroe acceptable to have dual identities in amerca than britian. there you can be much mroe open in calling yourself a smaller group like 'irish-american' or italian-american. suppose its a size thing.
    It's because when an American claims to be Irish-American (of which there are as many as 40 million!) or an Italian-American, they're making a cultural, not a political statement. This is beginning to change with the Mexican immigrants however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Miami isn't a state. The ignorance of the British race is proven once again. :rolleyes:

I was being sarcastic you know. I mean if a New Yorker knows someone from Sicily, despite Sicily being about 4,000 miles away, and a Brit doesn't know any Sicilian, despite Sicily being at most 1,000 miles away, clearly one is geographically challenged.

And you probably haven't met any Sicilians because they're either making pizza in New York or serving time for being in the Mob. Aren't stereotypes cool?
    Wow, you really know how to make a point. I've never known anybody from Sweden, Norway, Finland, Russia, Portugal, All African Nations, Pakistan, Switzerland,...the list goes on. So I guess I must be really ignorant.

Your logic is frightening at best. I think it shows a great deal of ignorance that the American president doesn't even know where Wales is, despite Britain being America's closest Ally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djchak)
    "the woman in the article, from the evidence there appears to be an attention whore trying to promote her new business. "

Well, it appears she gave up "her business" over in London....it reports that she returned to the US with a black eye after crying for 2 days.... wow, what an dumb attention whore :rolleyes: Next time the ***** better know her place in the UK, huh? :eek:
    Re-read. Carefully...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robot Chicken)
    doi, miami is in florida then yeh?
    well for someone who has never even left the country i think i did pretty well.
    am going to be spending 4 days in miami this summer en route to ozzie and am well psyched. i think its cos of all the CSI miami i watch.
    Ugh, why does everyone go to Florida in the SUMMER! It's going to be hotter than the hinges of hell. You should go there from september-early may when there is zero humidity and the temperature is 71 degrees F, and there isn't a cloud in the sky every day!

Oh well, if you can cope with the heat, there are still a lot of things you can enjoy. I would make an effort to get to south beach and enjoy the scenery. They've got really nice, well-preserved, art deco buildings from the 1920s. You're going to need sunglasses because the sun is quite strong and you don't want to make a spectacle of yourself staring at all the georgeous women. :cool:

(Original post by allymcb2)
    Oh, not to mention the fact that less than 1/3 of the nation owns a passport.
    Um, no offense, but where I live, I can actually back my car up a few feet and not be in another country. :rolleyes:

(Original post by ninman)
    Wow, you really know how to make a point. I've never known anybody from Sweden, Norway, Finland, Russia, Portugal, All African Nations, Pakistan, Switzerland,...the list goes on. So I guess I must be really ignorant.

Your logic is frightening at best. I think it shows a great deal of ignorance that the American president doesn't even know where Wales is, despite Britain being America's closest Ally.
    you've never known a single african? good lord.

As for knowing where Wales is. I don't think that's terribly important. So long as someone has a basic understanding that it is assoc with the UK.

G-d forbid Florida had double the Senators. Where did you hear about the non-prominent states if you don't mind me asking?

No I don't. There aren't too many Sicilians in the US (quite a few people are descended from them though; the Italian Mob, which has its origins in Sicily, was quite useful in providing intelligence to the US military during WWII), but a lot do visit their relatives, and there are still Italian bars, cafes, and pizzerias on almost every block in areas that used to be predominantly Italian. And it's traditional for Italian-Americans to go to Italy to find a bride and then come back. I think the mass migration stopped in the early 20th century.

It's because when an American claims to be Irish-American (of which there are as many as 40 million!) or an Italian-American, they're making a cultural, not a political statement. This is beginning to change with the Mexican immigrants however.
    Hmmm, well alot of american states lend their name to various brands like maryland cookies, mississippi and songs like sweet home alabama. others i guess i still remember from just various TV shows and the presidential elections.
    Also when i started planning my elective i looked into going to america, so i now have a pretty good idea of what states are where too, minus a few blanks...

ReputationRep:
    I dont think we can equate the leader of the most powerful country in the world knowing next to nothing about the world when he came to office, with an english student's inability to name all fo the states in the US.

Intellectual curiosity about the world is an important thing IMO, and is a MUST Have in a national and international leader.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I dont think we can equate the leader of the most powerful country in the world knowing next to nothing about the world when he came to office, with an english student's inability to name all fo the states in the US.

Intellectual curiosity about the world is an important thing IMO, and is a MUST Have in a national and international leader.
    The story about him saying the French don't have a word from entrepreneur was a lie, so was a story about something Bush said to Abbas. Is there any proof from a credible source that Bush didn't know where Wales was? I know the Welsh teen pop star Charlotte Church had this to say about September 11th:

"I went to Ground Zero just as an ordinary person. It was awful, people taking debris to sell. They were really rowdy, climbing on police cars to get pictures. Everyone there has to relate themselves to it. They are like [mimics American accent], 'Yeah, my neighbor's dog's owner's sister's dog was involved, but he got out just in time'. It was a sick. People overdramatize. (Firefighters) went from here in society to celebrities [ED: except the dead ones]. They are even invited here to present television awards [as opposed to pop tarts] ... There was Paul McCartney saying, 'I witnessed the crash.' Who cares? Thousands witnessed it."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/1682860.stm

If she's going to say something this stupid, why does she have any credibility when she tells people Bush thought Wales was a town? Was there any other witness to her conversation with Bush about Wales? I'm not saying it's not true, I'm just a bit skeptical after that entrepreneur BS story.

ReputationRep:
    Not that it matters whether Wales is a city or not. Bush only has to deal with sovereign countries, and whichever way you look at it, Wales is not one and is thus outside of Bush's area of concern. Can everyone here name the biggest regions in Malaysia or Nigeria? If not, why should people know the name of the regions (even if they have a unique culture) in Britain?

(Original post by Made in the USA)
    Is there any proof from a credible source that Bush didn't know where Wales was? I know the Welsh teen pop star Charlotte Church had this to say about September 11th:

"I went to Ground Zero just as an ordinary person. It was awful, people taking debris to sell. They were really rowdy, climbing on police cars to get pictures. Everyone there has to relate themselves to it. They are like [mimics American accent], 'Yeah, my neighbor's dog's owner's sister's dog was involved, but he got out just in time'. It was a sick. People overdramatize. (Firefighters) went from here in society to celebrities [ED: except the dead ones]. They are even invited here to present television awards [as opposed to pop tarts] ... There was Paul McCartney saying, 'I witnessed the crash.' Who cares? Thousands witnessed it."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/1682860.stm

If she's going to say something this stupid, why does she have any credibility when she tells people Bush thought Wales was a town? Was there any other witness to her conversation with Bush about Wales? I'm not saying it's not true, I'm just a bit skeptical after that entrepreneur BS story.
    I would describe Miss church as more the 'Chav next door'.
    real flag bearer of wales...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    The story about him saying the French don't have a word from entrepreneur was a lie, so was a story about something Bush said to Abbas. Is there any proof from a credible source that Bush didn't know where Wales was?
    I dont know if he thought that or not.

However there are numerous examples of Bush's paltry knowledge about other countries. I recall one invlving a Canadian comedian and a fake Prime Minister... hook line sinker.

if you are going to lead the most internationally influential country in the world, it would help if you had been outside it before you were president. A complete lack of intellectual curiosity about the world. It is worrying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I dont know if he thought that or not.

However there are numerous examples of Bush's paltry knowledge about other countries. I recall one invlving a Canadian comedian and a fake Prime Minister... hook line sinker.

if you are going to lead the most internationally influential country in the world, it would help if you had been outside it before you were president. A complete lack of intellectual curiosity about the world. It is worrying.
    I doubt there's a single person in the world who knows the names of every world leader...

ReputationRep:
    I doubt there's a single person in the world who knows the names of every world leader...
    Oh come on Bis... not EVERY country - but the one you share a massive 3000 mile border with... the one you have a free trade agreement with... its like a prime ministerial hopeful in the UK not knowing the name of the French President.

And as I said, for me, the fact that someone with that wealth, of that age, and those political aspirations had NEVER left the country is a worrying thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straas)
    Re-read. Carefully...
    Yes, you shold re -read the original article carefully. It seems like you just browsed through it and did not pick up on some major points about the treatment of this lady.

When you think about it, it's really nothing unusual. This woman probably started out as an enthusiastic anglophile...and we all see where it ended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Oh come on Bis... not EVERY country - but the one you share a massive 3000 mile border with... the one you have a free trade agreement with... its like a prime ministerial hopeful in the UK not knowing the name of the French President.

And as I said, for me, the fact that someone with that wealth, of that age, and those political aspirations had NEVER left the country is a worrying thing.
    Lawz, Canada doesn't actually matter, though. The Canadians thrive on no one noticing they're up there. Not knowing the prime minister's name is actually a compliment to their passive nature, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Lawz, Canada doesn't actually matter, though. The Canadians thrive on no one noticing they're up there. Not knowing the prime minister's name is actually a compliment to their passive nature, really.
    Lol .. ill remember to tell my friends from Kingston and Toronto that their insignificance is actually a compliment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Lol .. ill remember to tell my friends from Kingston and Toronto that their insignificance is actually a compliment.
    They're probably fans of the Toronto Maple Leafs, which makes them doubly insignificant.

ReputationRep:
    About 40% own a passport, and last time I checked 40% was larger than a third, but perhaps that's because American math is different from British maths.

And FYI, a roughly equal percentage of Canadians own a passport. Are they ignorant as well?

I wonder how many American states you could name off the top of your head.
    OK so maybe the stats changed since last time I checked, that is still ridiculously low for a country with america's GNP. Yes, some of them. More than 4, so I'm beating the President already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allymcb2)
    OK so maybe the stats changed since last time I checked, that is still ridiculously low for a country with america's GNP. Yes, some of them. More than 4, so I'm beating the President already.
    America has 300 million people, and 4 different time zones (and that's if you exclude Alaska and Hawaii). It's only 3% smaller than the entire European continent (I bet you knew that :rolleyes: ). Why would Americans want go to another country when they can travel thousands of miles in any direction and still be in the US?

ReputationRep:
    I can travel thousands of miles and still be in Europe. Never the less I have chosen to visit Australia, and America, and have aspirations to visit many other places which are not in Europe, because it would allow me to see a wide range of different cultures that we do not have in Europe. I find it astonishing that in the wealthiest nation there is, only 40% have the intellectual curiosity to do that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2008
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.