The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by Epic Flawless
I'm on my third draft at the moment but I'll be able to talk about meaningful things in it once next week is over because I'll have finished my work experience at JP Morgan in Bournemouth. Also, as I'm pretty much alone this week (without parents and staying at a B&B by myself), I'll likely be able to make some good progress on my wider reading.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wondering, whats the JP morgan institute at ol Bournemouth like? :smile:
Original post by Jkizer
Wondering, whats the JP morgan institute at ol Bournemouth like? :smile:

I don't know yet as I've just been enjoying the beaches but I'm excited to find out and I'll be sure to tell you tomorrow! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm on my third draft at the moment but I'll be able to talk about meaningful things in it once next week is over because I'll have finished my work experience at JP Morgan in Bournemouth. Also, as I'm pretty much alone this week (without parents and staying at a B&B by myself), I'll likely be able to make some good progress on my wider reading.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't realise they had a JP Morgan office in Bournemouth! Do you know how big the office they have there is?

As far as I was aware (from what my dad has told me) all the big banks had their main offices in London and I didn't realise any multinational banks had offices in cities other than London, Birmingham or Edinburgh...
Reply 423
I don't know yet as I've just been enjoying the beaches but I'm excited to find out and I'll be sure to tell you tomorrow! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My school isnt too far from the place, could pop down :wink: (Creepy stalker wink)
My friend did the work experience thingy there a couple weeks back, apparently theres lots of talks, team building and the best part is the catering :smile:
Original post by Jkizer
My school isnt too far from the place, could pop down :wink: (Creepy stalker wink)
My friend did the work experience thingy there a couple weeks back, apparently theres lots of talks, team building and the best part is the catering :smile:

You know what I wouldn't mind some company and it would be nice to talk to another prospective economics (potentially Oxbridge) candidate...

Anyway, I'm just looking forward to bring able to go to the beach everyday after work. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys im such a dopey ****- i applied to UCAS 2014 today and have already lost my details- i know them- its just i lost the piece of paper it was on so need to change my password quickly in case it gets into the wrong person's hands- how do i change my password please?
Original post by nahomyemane778
Guys im such a dopey ****- i applied to UCAS 2014 today and have already lost my details- i know them- its just i lost the piece of paper it was on so need to change my password quickly in case it gets into the wrong person's hands- how do i change my password please?

You an Econ applicant? Thought you were going for Maths...

Try 'forgotten login'.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
You an Econ applicant? Thought you were going for Maths...

Try 'forgotten login'.

1) ah problem solved- just went to options. thanks anyway

2) this was first thread that came up when i typed ucas 2014- i am applying for maths. I hope the TSR thread police dont come and arrest me now:tongue:
Reading through the Economics applicant thread for 2013 entry is making me so nervous for results day!!!
If I don't get AAAAA then I'm going to have to have a serious think about my choices!! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloxorus
Reading through the Economics applicant thread for 2013 entry is making me so nervous for results day!!!
If I don't get AAAAA then I'm going to have to have a serious think about my choices!! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

5A's? I'm sure you won't need all them at an A grade, but if you do congrats.

What are your choices, out of curiosity?
Original post by NedStark
5A's? I'm sure you won't need all them at an A grade, but if you do congrats.

What are your choices, out of curiosity?

My subjects are Maths, Further maths, Physics, Economics and General studies however I'm now dropping general studies and doing an EPQ.

The only thing is my GCSEs are far below average for economics (1A*, 5As, 5Bs, 1C) so I really need to make up for them in other parts of my application to stand a chance at decent universities :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 431
Anyone can give me a few pointers on how to show interest of a specific article in the economist?
I tried something like 'I also enjoy reading the economist, specifically the GB section which shows the development the domestic economy is taking to end its bust phase' But i think it sounds a bit wishy washy :frown:
Reply 432
Original post by Jkizer
Anyone can give me a few pointers on how to show interest of a specific article in the economist?
I tried something like 'I also enjoy reading the economist, specifically the GB section which shows the development the domestic economy is taking to end its bust phase' But i think it sounds a bit wishy washy :frown:

It's a tough one to be honest. I know people always say give examples of things that you have enjoyed reading about, but saying I read The Economist to keep up to date with current affairs can be enough imo. If you have space, go for it and expand upon this. But if not, I wouldn't bother too much. There is no point saying something that doesn't contribute and if you can find another use for those characters that will put you across better in the eyes of an admissions tutor, go for that instead.
Reply 433
Ok i appreciate it bud :smile:
I got to fit in another sentence mentioning the essays comp i did anyways, so hey ho got stuff to include hehe
My subjects are Maths, Further maths, Physics, Economics and General studies however I'm now dropping general studies and doing an EPQ.

The only thing is my GCSEs are far below average for economics (1A*, 5As, 5Bs, 1C) so I really need to make up for them in other parts of my application to stand a chance at decent universities :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess I'm doing the exact same. With my school, general studies was hated from day one (by everyone) so I never bothered with it. It's good that it's not looked at.

But which Universities are you looking at? (If you don't mind me asking) :rolleyes:
I guess I'm doing the exact same. With my school, general studies was hated from day one (by everyone) so I never bothered with it. It's good that it's not looked at.

But which Universities are you looking at? (If you don't mind me asking) :rolleyes:

Yeah both general studies and critical thinking are hated at my school too.

I'm looking at Bristol, Nottingham, Bath, York and Surrey. Staying well away from LSE and Warwick with my poor GCSEs. However my choices almost 100% depend upon my AS results, if I do achieve all As then I may switch Surrey for UCL as a long shot because I'd like to at least try, even if my chances are low from my GCSEs.

How about you? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah both general studies and critical thinking are hated at my school too.

I'm looking at Bristol, Nottingham, Bath, York and Surrey. Staying well away from LSE and Warwick with my poor GCSEs. However my choices almost 100% depend upon my AS results, if I do achieve all As then I may switch Surrey for UCL as a long shot because I'd like to at least try, even if my chances are low from my GCSEs.

How about you? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Slightly scary but once again exactly the same, except for Surrey I'm looking at UCL.
If I do extremely well in AS, then I'm going to aim higher for Warwick/Cambridge but I've got a similar problem that my GCSE's aren't good enough for Warwick. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I got 5A* 4A 1B, but the admissions tutor at Warwick said mine are below the usual offer holder. :frown:
Slightly scary but once again exactly the same, except for Surrey I'm looking at UCL.
If I do extremely well in AS, then I'm going to aim higher for Warwick/Cambridge but I've got a similar problem that my GCSE's aren't good enough for Warwick. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I got 5A* 4A 1B, but the admissions tutor at Warwick said mine are below the usual offer holder. :frown:

I agree this is slightly strange how we have so many similarities haha.
It really is scary how fierce the competition is for economics and how many applicants per place there are at the top universities. I'm already preparing for rejections but I'm literally praying for good AS results, I'm already s**ting bricks about results day!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do maths, further maths, chemistry, physics and economics, but dropping physics for A2 and doing an EPQ now. Did you do the C3 exam? I'm so annoyed it might affect my application.
Reply 439
Original post by Anonymous1717
I do maths, further maths, chemistry, physics and economics, but dropping physics for A2 and doing an EPQ now. Did you do the C3 exam? I'm so annoyed it might affect my application.

I know this wasnt directed at me, but that at C3 exam was very nasty. My worst maths module, but I hope that it wasn't too bad and the grade boundaries are forgiving. I'm doing an EPQ as well, its definitely lots of work

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending