Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Biology F212 Revision [3rd June 2013] (Now Closed) Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you feel the F212 exam went?
    Awesome
    9.46%
    Good
    33.78%
    Okay
    35.81%
    Bad
    10.81%
    Rubbish
    5.41%
    Not Sure
    4.73%

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!! im doing a past paper at the minute, can someone help me out with a calculation question please? its May 2011 paper. Question 2cii) The answer is 2 but im a bit confused on how they got that answer. The mark scheme doesn't show the calculations

ReputationRep:
    Can anybody tell me why cellulose are not coiled? Do they not have 1-6 glycosidic bond? What kind of bond do they have???? Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beni24)
    Hey guys!! im doing a past paper at the minute, can someone help me out with a calculation question please? its May 2011 paper. Question 2cii) The answer is 2 but im a bit confused on how they got that answer. The mark scheme doesn't show the calculations
    You do 3/1.5=2

At 15'C the rate of reaction is 1.5
    At 25'C the rate of reaction is 3
    Just basically read it off the graph

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wndms)
    Can anybody tell me why cellulose are not coiled? Do they not have 1-6 glycosidic bond? What kind of bond do they have???? Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They don't have 1-6 glycosidic bonds, they have beta 1,4 glycosidic bonds
    This means that molecules of beta glucose are joined by a 1-4 glycosidic bond, but in order for this to happen, ever other molecule needs to be rotated 180 degrees. (as in beta glucose the OH on C1 is above the ring) This makes a straight chain and therefore glucose cannot coil up. Hydrogen bonds then form between adjacent parallel molecules to create a microfibril

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kited4)
    They don't have 1-6 glycosidic bonds, they have beta 1,4 glycosidic bonds
    This means that molecules of beta glucose are joined by a 1-4 glycosidic bond, but in order for this to happen, ever other molecule needs to be rotated 180 degrees. (as in beta glucose the OH on C1 is above the ring) This makes a straight chain and therefore glucose cannot coil up. Hydrogen bonds then form between adjacent parallel molecules to create a microfibril
    Oh thank you so much!
    So for Alpha glucose, they have 1-4 glycosidic bond but they are not rotated 180' so it's coiled right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hey please can anyone help me with this learning obejctive_
    explain how the structures of triglyceride, phospholipid and cholesterol molecules relate to their functions in living organisms;

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wndms)
    You do 3/1.5=2

At 15'C the rate of reaction is 1.5
    At 25'C the rate of reaction is 3
    Just basically read it off the graph

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah right, that makes sense! Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    What are structures and functions of triglycerides, phospholipids and cholesterol? Looking through all my notes and that was where I got confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wndms)
    Oh thank you so much!
    So for Alpha glucose, they have 1-4 glycosidic bond but they are not rotated 180' so it's coiled right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends what molecule. For starch which contains Amylose and amylopectin, they are made of alpha, amylose containing all 1-4, and amylopectin containing some of both I think. Then there's glycogen, which is made of alpha glucose, again both 1-4&1-6, and then you have cellulose

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanMarshall94)
    What are structures and functions of triglycerides, phospholipids and cholesterol? Looking through all my notes and that was where I got confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369999716.726515.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  134.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369999738.654692.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  163.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369999762.071450.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  154.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369999795.589154.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  194.9 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanMarshall94)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Triglyceride - One glycerol and three fatty acids, contains three ester bonds, and mainly used for long term energy storage, insulation/protection of organs, form HDL and LDL's.

Phospholipid - one glycerol, one phosphate head, two fatty acids bonded to glycerol molecule by ester bonds. Composes plasma membrane of cells. It's important to remember that the tails are HYDROPHOBIC, and the head is HYDROPHILIC, hence why the bilayer forms in water.

Cholesterol - structure is always given, don't need to know about its structure, although its used to make hormones and steroids, as well as regulate fluidity of cell surface membranes, more cholesterol, the less fluid it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wndms)
    Oh thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah! hence amylose in starch

ReputationRep:
    I just did January 2011's paper and one of the questions said 'Other than biochemical evidence, what can taxonomists use to group organisms?'
    So my answers were morphology (anatomy) and behaviour
    But in the mark scheme it grouped anatomy and behaviour into one marking point.
    Does anyone have any idea of their reasoning behind this, when other years they were separate marking points?

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone bothering to remember all the trash in the last module? Like international cooperation. God its dull

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me about the three domains because I have no notes on it and text book doesn't give much info. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RadioheadAnton)
    Is anyone bothering to remember all the trash in the last module? Like international cooperation. God its dull
    What is that again? ;p

ReputationRep:
    Are disulfide bonds always double bonds?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RadioheadAnton)
    Its dull but there's frequent questions on it. I haven't learned them off by heart but a basic knowledge, for example CITES aim to regulate trade, Biological Convention aim to encourage efficient use of resources and EIA aims to reduce the impact of development. Most of the time you can use common sense in answering the questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wheres Disupfide bonds found?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me with this please?
    You know how two alpha glucose makes maltose and more than two alpha glucose makes amylose.

How about beta glucose? What happens if two beta glucose join together? Is there a name for it?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.