Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please share with me their notes on the prenotice thingy we got for the exam! I wasnt in when our class went over it and stupidly havent even looked at it yet! I'm in bed panicking about it hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tasniaa)
    I do not for the life of me understand e/z isomers.
    This site's excellent
    http://www.chemguide.co.uk/basicorg/isomerism/ez.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carla6600)
    The mark scheme is getting pickier and pickier I'd suggest putting 'per unit time' though I usually just add in both (i.e. more frequent collisions (per unit time))
    Wouldn't you run out of time in n exam by putting both?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilylouisex)
    Can someone please share with me their notes on the prenotice thingy we got for the exam! I wasnt in when our class went over it and stupidly havent even looked at it yet! I'm in bed panicking about it hahaha
    There's a thread for the advanced notice with loads of material on it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How do nitrogen oxides cause smog production and destruction?

ReputationRep:
    how is ammonia lost by OH radicals?

ReputationRep:
    why do nitrogen oxides show strong diurnal cycle?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the paper from january 2013?

Also, any ideas on how I can fully understand electrophilic/nucleophilic addition? I've spent loads of time on it, and I think I understand how they differ, but I always lose marks for the reaction mechanisms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ngullan)

Also, any ideas on how I can fully understand electrophilic/nucleophilic addition? I've spent loads of time on it, and I think I understand how they differ, but I always lose marks for the reaction mechanisms.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post42787726

ReputationRep:
    In this exam how do we know if we are supposed to put in state symbol for reactions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ngullan)

In Electrophilic addition the double bond in alkenes break and the compound it reacts with joins on- hence the addition of electrons
    In Nucleophilic Substitution the compound replaces it and involves halogenoalkanes e.g the -Br gets replaces by -OH- hence a nucleophile substitutes its self!

electrophilic addition- http://www.chemguide.co.uk/mechanism...hatis.html#top
    nucleophilic substitution- http://www.chemguide.co.uk/mechanism...hatis.html#top

ReputationRep:
    Sulphur or Sulfur? I prefer Sulphur .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Branny101)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My teacher said you wouldn't get penalised for writing sulphur, but i'd still write sulfur to be on the safe side (you never know with OCR)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super121)
    My teacher said you wouldn't get penalised for writing sulphur, but it still write sulfur to be on the safe side (you never know with OCR)
    Good point

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Branny101)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I prefer Sulphur too, but IUPAC decided that element 16 should be spelled as Sulfur

IUPAC only accepts alternative spellings for two elements: Aluminium/Aluminum and Caesium/Cesium.

Use Sulfur as Sulphur is incorrect, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    How does everyone feel about the exam?

ReputationRep:
    Guys there is a question in the may 2012 paper which i dont understand where ive gone wrong in

question 1b in the june 2012 paper. i dont see how its c15h22o??

i keep counting 20 or 21. can somebody please explain properly to me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NielsBohrsDad)
    Guys there is a question in the may 2012 paper which i dont understand where ive gone wrong in

Oooh I did this question and at first I got that too, but then I literally drew out all the bonds on the diagram, okay, let me do that for you now and take a picture okay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whostolemycookie)
    How does everyone feel about the exam?
    Okay, but with advance notice questions who knows what comes up and you cannot really prepare much for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NielsBohrsDad)

Okay here you are! I've drawn on all the hydrogen bonds, I'm sorry the quality is quite bad and I had to rub out all the previous bonds I'd drawn, so just look at the ones in black
    Attached Images

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.