Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Have you ever been insulted about your looks? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie97)
    Used to get called/abused regularly for being ginger in the first years of high school but now I just get abuse from passing cars such as "ginger sl*g", which doesn't bother me much anymore. It's not like I'm particularly ugly apart from a bit of a big nose, it's literally just because I'm ginger.
    I've also over heard some people talking about me once last year in school in the toilets and one of them said "she's really nice" and the other girl replied with "yeah but she's ginger" and they both laughed their heads off. That shook me up a but for a while but I think people have grown out of the whole ginger problem now that I'm 16... hopefully.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Never understood this myself, I've always wanted ginger hair personally! I think it's way more interesting than mousey brown (like mine) or something. Bet half the people who've ever said something to you about your hair now/will dye their own! Not that this makes up for years of people saying stuff, but I love ginger hair and think you should be proud of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kec)
    Never understood this myself, I've always wanted ginger hair personally! I think it's way more interesting than mousey brown (like mine) or something. Bet half the people who've ever said something to you about your hair now/will dye their own! Not that this makes up for years of people saying stuff, but I love ginger hair and think you should be proud of it
    Thank you and I am proud of it! I would never dye my hair a different colour because that's who I am but I would also never recommend being naturally ginger (not that that's possible) because of all the sh** that comes with it, not to mention the pale skin and freckles!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A year 8 teacher told me I looked like a donkey when I laughed. I've never got over this and hate laughing now. I just remember the sound of the whole class laughing!

I've had many insults about my looks chucked my way but the above example always sticks in my mind

ReputationRep:
    Throughout first and second year this girl at school used to tell me i was ugly almost everday she called me mr blobby would tell me i reminded her of a fat polar bear and she used to **** me off for wearing my celtic top to school everyday. She would tell people i didnt wash (I did not as much as i should of but atleast 3/4 times a week) so all the girls would refuse to hold my hand or go anywhere near me at social dancing. I once cried when i got home as she sprayed loads of perfume on me in English while taunting me telling me i stinked, I was ugly and that no girl would ever like me. I know obsess over my hygiene and my appearance and feel disgusting if i dont feel well dressed and presented, I dont wear football tops now and i cant explain why. I know i have got much better looking but i cant take compliments because all i can think is of her telling me i was ugly. I have only recently began to make female friends as for years i would get really nervous when a pretty girl tried to speak to me as i thought thay would make fun of me for whatever reason. I struggle with girls as i dont feel good enough. She ruined my confidence by making fun of my appearance and because of her im a totally different person.

ReputationRep:
    Nah i have thick skin (no literally i use to be massive ) So my mates just wont let the names tubs and chubs die

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In secondary I was often described as ugly, and it was always by strangers, which made it worse for me. Once, just walking home, I was called a '******' and someone else said that '****ing her is basically ****ing a man'. The worst was probably my mum's boyfriend telling my sister that while she could be a model, I could only model a hamburger (whatever that means, anyway).

Though I still find those kind of comments upsetting, I feel a lot more confident about myself. For a start, detractors never seem to realise you find them equally unattractive, not only for their crappy personality but also in the physical sense too. Also, my boyfriend (now my ex though) liked me for my personality, and happened to find me pretty too, so I guess there's always someone who will like the 'whole package', so to speak. Although I'm not exactly 'hot', I think I've grown into my looks and made some changes (for myself, not others) while accepting the qualities others have criticised, like wearing glasses etc.

ReputationRep:
    Reading these posts is so angering! There's so much pressure put on young people, particularly girls, and I feel sorry for those who know no different.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie97)
    Thank you and I am proud of it! I would never dye my hair a different colour because that's who I am but I would also never recommend being naturally ginger (not that that's possible) because of all the sh** that comes with it, not to mention the pale skin and freckles!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There are quite a few people who like pale skin and freckles in girls, which includes me. I'd prefer someone who was pale to being tanned. I honestly don't understand why anyone would criticize you on being ginger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyMilly)
    Ive got an underdevloped optic nerve in my left eye and as a result in turns in slightly i think its by 1 mm but its clearly noticable especially when im tired, stressed or upset.

Ive had people laugh point at me, talk about it behind my back a girl at uni told me that if she had something as embarssing as I do she wouldnt show her face until it had been operated on. I went through life without many people ever commenting on it, until i went to uni when the people have been cruel and vile. They dont think about what they say they say things like 'oh you look like the russell howard guy he has a funny eye too' or 'why are you crossed eyed' ' why is your eye wonky' 'cant you get that fixed'

Or the worse thing has been when people talk about it behind my back they laugh about it and of course it gets back to me people who cant remeber me refer to me as the girl with the wonky eye

I wish people would just come up and ask me about it as its not a lazy eye, i cant have it operated on theres a 80% risk if i do i will go blind in both my eyes, people just dont realise how hurtful what they say is.

Ive also been taken the piss out for my height (5ft11) or my chubby cheeks or being to fat or to skinny
    Wow I would have thought bullying at school would be worse than at uni. A lot of people on here give advice that uni will be a new start and people tend to be maturer. Hope you enjoyed/are enjoying uni nevertheless.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have awful acne when I was 13 and all the guys would say mean things like "Your skin looks like the surface of the moon" right to my face. One guy even made fun of everything about me from my nose (broke it when I was 10) to my fingers then ended his commentary on me with "But at least you have nice hair so not everything about you is ugly". My skin thankfully cleared up and I got surgery to fix my deviated nose but it still makes me sad when I think about those days.

ReputationRep:
    I was insulted about quite a few things when i was in school/college. I have polycystic ovaries, so i have a little extra hair on my arms and back which girls in particular liked to point out. At the time it was mortifying, though i'v gotten over it now! My 'friend' used to say i had a big butt - im only a size 6-8 but i suppose it is quite shapely. I like it either way I'v always been teased about my small chest by both girls and boys. They would say things like 'yeah she's pretty but the problem is she's got no boobs' or 'maybe she's a man' and the classic 'why do you wear a bra?' :rolleyes: I still get teased by one or two idiots about my chest size at the age of 21 but these days i mainly receive compliments rather than insults which is always nice - strange to me though seen as i'v grown up being called ugly! Maybe people mature as they get older and these things no longer matter, or perhaps it's my new found confidence. Teen years are certainly the hardest years!

ReputationRep:
    When I was 15, a guy in my class said to me 'what does it feel like to be so ugly?' Also I've had many comments about the size of my head.

(Original post by RyanMac96)
    Throughout first and second year this girl at school used to tell me i was ugly almost everday she called me mr blobby would tell me i reminded her of a fat polar bear and she used to **** me off for wearing my celtic top to school everyday. She would tell people i didnt wash (I did not as much as i should of but atleast 3/4 times a week) so all the girls would refuse to hold my hand or go anywhere near me at social dancing. I once cried when i got home as she sprayed loads of perfume on me in English while taunting me telling me i stinked, I was ugly and that no girl would ever like me. I know obsess over my hygiene and my appearance and feel disgusting if i dont feel well dressed and presented, I dont wear football tops now and i cant explain why. I know i have got much better looking but i cant take compliments because all i can think is of her telling me i was ugly. I have only recently began to make female friends as for years i would get really nervous when a pretty girl tried to speak to me as i thought thay would make fun of me for whatever reason. I struggle with girls as i dont feel good enough. She ruined my confidence by making fun of my appearance and because of her im a totally different person.
    You cant let people and their opinions affect you bro , I know its tough , I wen't through alot of **** myself , but if you let everything get to you your going to have a tough time in life.

There comes a point where you have to just say : " So ****ing what , maybe im not attractive as ****ing johnny depp but I was ****ing born this way and theres nothing I can do about it , if you have a problem then **** off "

Work on what you can work on with your appearance , take care of your skin , develop a fashion taste according to what suits you , as every guy will tell you "start lifting " :rolleyes: It will all help you feel much better about yourself , once that part is done you will attract people naturally into your life providing you are content and live like each day is your last .

As for that ***** who bullied you , the reality is she is probably an insecure little **** who gets abused by her family or something , so she took it out on you , if anything I pity people like her because their lives must be so sad if their only outlet is to torment innocent people.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I remember another incident,

A few years ago a guy commented on one of my facebook profile picture that I looked like a turnip :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    You cant let people and their opinions affect you bro , I know its tough , I wen't through alot of **** myself , but if you let everything get to you your going to have a tough time in life.

There comes a point where you have to just say : " So ****ing what , maybe im not attractive as ****ing johnny depp but I was ****ing born this way and theres nothing I can do about it , if you have a problem then **** off "

Work on what you can work on with your appearance , take care of your skin , develop a fashion taste according to what suits you , as every guy will tell you "start lifting " :rolleyes: It will all help you feel much better about yourself , once that part is done you will attract people naturally into your life providing you are content and live like each day is your last .

As for that ***** who bullied you , the reality is she is probably an insecure little **** who gets abused by her family or something , so she took it out on you , if anything I pity people like her because their lives must be so sad if their only outlet is to torment innocent people.
    Funny thing is thats exactly what ive done I am very fashion wise and dress very well now, I constantly fix my hair and ive lost like 4 or 5 stone, I often get told by slightly older girls im good-looking but never by girls my age, which is still the discouraging part for me, im a completely different person now for the better but im still very insecure.

Probably one of the most insecure person ever, I have 2 older sisters and they're CONSTANTLY being told how beautiful they are and I'm kinda the forgotten "black sheep" of the family, sucks doesn't it :/

ReputationRep:
    Look, you're exactly my age and I happen to be an ugly Indian. But that doesn't stop me from going out. May be because I'm a guy and as a fact I may find it easier to go out without being too self conscious. I agree with that, but you don't need to worry so much. May be you won't believe this - while at school, the ugliest girl in my class expressed contempt at me because of my looks, (BTY, she was later adjudged by my friends as being uglier than me!!) 80% of the people in this world have ordinary facial/bodily features. Does that mean people don't hook up?? Do they not get hitched?? These are the kind of people who understand others better and probably are far mature mentally than their handsome/pretty counterparts. That being said, don't stop trying out with handsome guys, who knows, you may get lucky!!

Definitely, though not to my face. My family and friends will sometimes make these comments and they actually do hurt.

1) I'm really tall for a girl of my age (16) at around 5'10.
    2) I have a big forehead.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes. I'd been called ugly more times than I can count when I was growing up.

Now people say I'm attractive and I do get approached a lot but I just can't accept it wholeheartedly.

ReputationRep:
    everybody has. and yes, even good looking people. an attractive woman may get insults from time to time based on envy or spite. if a man is attractive but very tall people may joke at him for that.

i guess ugly people may get more insults, but it's not exclusive to them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.