Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1717)
    Anyone?
    Assuming this is all acting in one line Speed = |Velocity|. i.e. just take out the negative sign if it's there.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?
    Velocity is speed with direction. If it says find the velocity, you can leave the answer in vector form. If it asks for the speed, you always need to find the magnitude of the vector, which is where you use Pythagoras.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I'm ready to ace this exam tomorrow, bring it on!!!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?
    If velocity is negative, write the modulus of it to get the speed. If the velocity is positive you can just write that as the speed.
    Speed is always positive, it is a scalar.
    Velocity is a vector quantity, it has direction, so can be negative.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone think that collisions requiring use of sum to infinity formula will come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serpentine111)
    Anyone think that collisions requiring use of sum to infinity formula will come up?
    Highly doubt it, only seen one question on it in the old M2 textbook.
    Unless they wanna be really mean...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serpentine111)
    what is that ?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benyp7)
    If velocity is negative, write the modulus of it to get the speed. If the velocity is positive you can just write that as the speed.
    Speed is always positive, it is a scalar.
    Velocity is a vector quantity, it has direction, so can be negative.
    Now maybe I'm just being really stupid, but would you know it's negative if the - was in front?
    And if you take the modulus of something, do you basically just put a bracket round it with a -?
    Thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    Now maybe I'm just being really stupid, but would you know it's negative if the - was in front?

Thanks so much
    Well its negative if its going in the opposite direction the the positive direction. If it has a minus sign in front of it, of course it's negative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student8)
    what is that ?!
    There is a question in one of the M2 textbooks where you had to to calculate things to do with a ball being dropped from a height and it would rebound up and down and up etc.

Which in theory would be infinite so you needed to combine the sum to infinity equation from C2 with the M2 stuff.

I don't think it will come up though; it was probably just a stretch and challenge thing in the text book.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really worried about this exam, I just hope they dont throw in any random questions that will put me off! My university place depends on this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MasterYi)
    There is a question in one of the M2 textbooks where you had to to calculate things to do with a ball being dropped from a height and it would rebound up and down and up etc.

Which in theory would be infinite so you needed to combine the sum to infinity equation from C2 with the M2 stuff.

I don't think it will come up though; it was probably just a stretch and challenge thing in the text book.
    Would you be able to tell me which question in specific so I just might try or even see the solutions! Dont want to take a chance knowing edexcel!!

ReputationRep:
    Well its negative if its going in the opposite direction the the positive direction. If it has a minus sign in front of it, of course it's negative.
    Yeah, thanks for spelling it out for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MLogan)
    I'm really worried about this exam, I just hope they dont throw in any random questions that will put me off! My university place depends on this
    I need a high A-A* realistically to get into Bath! Generally it will be okay i think! It's the time handling and silly mistakes like forgetting g etc.. They bring me down so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    I'm ready to ace this exam tomorrow, bring it on!!!
    So 100%? I'm doing this exam as well
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ACBLISS)
    So 100%? I'm doing this exam as well
    I'm hoping so, at least 95+%

ReputationRep:
    Would you be able to tell me which question in specific so I just might try or even see the solutions! Dont want to take a chance knowing edexcel!!
    I believe it's in the Mixed exercise of chapter 4.

ReputationRep:
    Highly doubt it, only seen one question on it in the old M2 textbook.
    Unless they wanna be really mean...
    They might do Hopefully not since this will be my 4th time sitting M2 lol

ReputationRep:
    I'll scan the pages. Will take a few minutes.

ReputationRep:
    June 2012 question 7, about the lamina - how do you deal with the modulus?

Thanks!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 24, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.