Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Benjy123)
    Hi,

I've been wanting to apply for medicine for a while now, but after my AS level results I've been doubting whether I can actually get in!

At GCSE I got 4 A*s and 6 As and just got ABBB in biology, chemistry, geography and maths at AS level. I was a bit annoyed but it wasn't that bad in my mind, until a teacher told me I wasn't good enough and should reconsider what I apply for at uni.

I still think I could be in with a chance, but I don't want to kid myself so what does everyone else think? :confused:

I did the UKCAT and got a total of 3030, average 757.5. I also volunteer in a care home and at school, work part time in retail and coach sports for younger years.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    You're definitely in with a chance - as long as you don't apply anywhere AS heavy like Cambridge or Birmingham! The more important thing is your A2 predictions; just have to make sure you get that AAA prediction.
    Teachers are generally massive scaremongerers and don't have a very positive reputation in our little subforum...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebestest)
    Are there any prospective medical students out there, for 2014 entry?
    Where are you guys thinking of applying?
    I'm a non-UK EU-student.
    Me! Where are you from?

I am from Italy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    You're definitely in with a chance - as long as you don't apply anywhere AS heavy like Cambridge or Birmingham! The more important thing is your A2 predictions; just have to make sure you get that AAA prediction.
    Teachers are generally massive scaremongerers and don't have a very positive reputation in our little subforum...
    Thanks for the reassurance The frustrating thing is, is that the teacher who told me that doesn't actually teach me any of my subjects, but could be involved in writing my reference. All of my subject teachers would happily predict me As!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Thanks for the reassurance The frustrating thing is, is that the teacher who told me that doesn't actually teach me any of my subjects, but could be involved in writing my reference. All of my subject teachers would happily predict me As!
    Ahh, that's annoying! Just make sure that they understand the importance of your reference and that you get your predictions, and hopefully all should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've been wanting to apply for medicine for a while now, but after my AS level results I've been doubting whether I can actually get in!

At GCSE I got 4 A*s and 6 As and just got ABBB in biology, chemistry, geography and maths at AS level. I was a bit annoyed but it wasn't that bad in my mind, until a teacher told me I wasn't good enough and should reconsider what I apply for at uni.

I still think I could be in with a chance, but I don't want to kid myself so what does everyone else think? :confused:

I did the UKCAT and got a total of 3030, average 757.5. I also volunteer in a care home and at school, work part time in retail and coach sports for younger years.

Hi, you should definitely go for it, my friend in my year got ABBC in AS (the C was in chemistry) and she was advised by teachers to not go for medicine but she did and got an offer from Brighton & Sussex! Also, it is absolutely possible bring up Bs to As in A2! best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Ahh, that's annoying! Just make sure that they understand the importance of your reference and that you get your predictions, and hopefully all should be fine.
    I know! I'll make sure they do Thank you!

(Original post by AnastasiaCope)
    Hi, you should definitely go for it, my friend in my year got ABBC in AS (the C was in chemistry) and she was advised by teachers to not go for medicine but she did and got an offer from Brighton & Sussex! Also, it is absolutely possible bring up Bs to As in A2! best of luck
    That's really nice to hear! I was only one mark off an A in chemistry so hopefully it's not all over Thanks!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Last spam of the awards.. voting closes Saturday around midnight, so be sure to vote if you want to help boost the egos of some of the medicine community we have here on TSR!

Full details and survey can be found in this announcement: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/anno...p?f=195&a=1325

ReputationRep:
    any thoughts on how to pull my C in biology AS up as far as possible? I just don't understand the AQA style of questioning!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliam)
    any thoughts on how to pull my C in biology AS up as far as possible? I just don't understand the AQA style of questioning!
    i would say try retaking the module/exam you think you done the worst in-if it was a high c then maybe get a remark. so basically bring it up to a b-through either options. then work VERY hard this year round and get an A. you can easily get an A after a B at as-but obviously working hard. yh, i thought aqa biology was harshly marked. my empa/isa brought me down the most..

ReputationRep:
    Hi for GCSE i recieved 2A*,6A,2B (In literature and DT)
    I have just recieved my AS results and got:
    Biology: A (262/300)
    Maths: A (262/300)
    Chemistry : B (223/300)
    Physics: B (217/300)

I want to do medicine in university, do you think i stand a good chance considering i only have work exp at a dentist and a consultancy? Honest truth please.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harsh.boy365)

I want to do medicine in university, do you think i stand a good chance considering i only have work exp at a dentist and a consultancy? Honest truth please.

Thanks in advance
    It depends on how long you were there, and what your UKCAT is. Don't apply to anywhere heavy on the work experience, ie. the PBL places (Liverpool etc.). And try and get some more! I know it's hard... Do extra reading. You're in with a chance if you apply wisely
    I am in the opposite position, my AS grades were ABBC but I have a fair bit of work experience - I had a job as a lifesaver for a while so I'm counting that too!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a really bad position at the moment. My AS results turned out a lot worse than I expected getting.

C - Maths
    B - Chemistry
    D - Physics
    D - FMaths
    A - General Studies

I planned on taking Maths & Chem forward anyway aswell as picking up AS&A2 Biology for A2, however my results were pretty bad so I've completely destroyed my plans. I'm pretty stuck on what to do. If I continue with my plan and carry those 2 subjects forward, I have calculated it and I would have approximately 13/14 exams June next year including retakes. However I was also thinking now of resiting the year as due to so much responcibilty in January from a pretty chilled life at high school; I didnt expect what hit me in the Jan exams. I know that Im capable of getting better grades but the pressure of 13 exams in June in which I had to learn about 5 new units in under 4 months from January I didnt have time to revise for most of my resit and for most exams I revised the night before (all night).

I'm also applicable for the Southampton BM6 course which give an offer for BBC but Im seriously thinking of resitting as I wouldnt be proud of myself leaving A-Level with those grades after getting 4A* & 6As at GCSE.

I need some advice on what to do and also an idea of the Universities that allow you to retake a year. Ive done my research and I know Liverpool for example do.

Thanks

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance
    As someone already said, you need a strong ukcat. Also in terms of work experience try and contact your nearest university/teaching hospital- they get paid by the universities to teach people so will be more willing to take you on. You may have to contact an individual doctor though rather than the hospital, as I got my placement by talking to a consultant surgeon. But still mention the dentistry placement in your personal statement (briefly) as they like to see that you've considered other career paths before choosing medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm so annoyed, I've lost my little notebook which I used during my hospital work experience. I had a clear out of my room recently and it could have easily slipped in the bin. I can remember a lot of my work experience but it was over a year ago and now some little details may have been lost from my memory forever. :moon:

I'm on a gap year hoping to get lots more experience though so hopefully that will make up for whatever I lost. :K:

ReputationRep:
    Where would be best to apply with the following
    GCSE-7A*,3A,2C,ICT merit
    AS-4A
    Maths 293/300
    Biology 262/300
    Chemistry 262/300
    Physics 257/300
    UKCAT-722.5 average

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by razzle123)
    Hiya guys just wondered if you'd be kind enough to help me?
    Basicaly I wanna do medicine ive got 9a* and 3as at GCSE, but my as grades let me down ive got as and 2bs
    I also got 672.5 in my UKCAT
    just wanted help with where I should apply, whether i should even apply or should i apply deffered for 2015 entry thanks guys
    Don't mean to change the subject in anyway! But I need advice, and I was wondering how you got such good gcse results? I'm going into year 11 this year and I am wanting to achieve my goal of becoming a doctor? If you could offer me some tips and advice it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam_1996)
    Where would be best to apply with the following
    GCSE-7A*,3A,2C,ICT merit
    AS-4A
    Maths 293/300
    Biology 262/300
    Chemistry 262/300
    Physics 257/300
    UKCAT-722.5 average

Thanks
    Well your profile seems well-rounded so you can pretty much apply where you want- good position to be in ha!
    Just make sure your PS is top notch

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance
    Hey I got the same AS grades and similar GCSE results as you and I'm applying to study Medicine. Try and get some medical-related work experience soon if you can, but im sure the work experience you have done already will still be helpful as long as you say what you gained from it that will relate to a career in medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamil4)
    Hey I got the same AS grades and similar GCSE results as you and I'm applying to study Medicine. Try and get some medical-related work experience soon if you can, but im sure the work experience you have done already will still be helpful as long as you say what you gained from it that will relate to a career in medicine.
    Are u a re applicant

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Hi ya, how did u get that ukcat score if ya don't mind me asking?😄

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2014
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.