Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahRH_)
    Anyone going over this essay: Health and welfare provision should be the responsibility of government. Discuss.

How would I go about this. I know it's like collectivism vs individualism but dont know where to start
    I am the same, have no idea where to start with this.. Have a look at the marking instructions, they may help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UMARTIAN)
    Yep!
    you not worried that political progress may come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala4)
    I think i am going to know enouygh about it just in case, but not as much as the devolution etc
    LA came up last year V scottish government and it seems to skip a few years til it asks about LA again so might be less likely to come up but who knows eh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahRH_)
    Anyone going over this essay: Health and welfare provision should be the responsibility of government. Discuss.

How would I go about this. I know it's like collectivism vs individualism but dont know where to start
    UK and Scottish Government health and welfare provision may include: National Health Service
    Benefits − JSA, State Retirement Pension, Pension Credit, Child Benefit, Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, tax credits, free prescriptions in Scotland, etc.
    Founding principles of the Welfare State − universalism with flat-rate contributions (NI) giving „cradle to grave‟ coverage.
    Debate over extent of government health and welfare provision. Individualism and collectivism. Individualists stress importance of self-reliance and need to avoid a „dependency culture‟ whereas collectivists stress importance of fairness and equality in society.
    Labour‟s „Third Way‟ − policy of „welfare to work‟. Welfare Reform Bill 2009 aims to further support people back into work as putting more responsibility on claimants to move towards work or lose benefit.
    Increased use of means testing welfare system against a background of rising costs.
    Impact of an ageing population. Future rises in ratio of dependents to workers. Widening of health and wealth gaps between most and least affluent.
    Strong public support for NHS. 2009 opinion poll in Guardian suggests public want NHS to be protected from future public expenditure cuts.
    SNP Scottish Government has been collectivist in approach eg free prescriptions and free school meals S1-3.
    Major political parties agree that health and welfare provisions is the responsibility of both the Government and the individual. The role of Government is to help the individual help themselves.
    2009, Labour has proposed extending „free‟ social care for the elderly in their own homes in England and Wales.
    Cameron‟s view on welfare − big government is wasteful and fails; talks of „social entrepreneurs and community action‟; proposed reforms to NHS in England and Wales; challenges to idea of „Big Society‟.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessicaLee123)
    you not worried that political progress may come up?
    Poltical progress is part of the american dream so Im learning it

ReputationRep:
    LA came up last year V scottish government and it seems to skip a few years til it asks about LA again so might be less likely to come up but who knows eh!
    Yeah, hopefully as it isnt one of my strongest topics. I would love a MPSs role question to come up but i doubt it will aha.. most likely i think it will be devolution and its impact which i haven't done much on either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala4)
    Yeah, hopefully as it isnt one of my strongest topics. I would love a MPSs role question to come up but i doubt it will aha.. most likely i think it will be devolution and its impact which i haven't done much on either.
    lmao. Devolution is soooo much easier than LA right!. i like the fact that you can put devolved/reserved in alot of questions :P
    I dont think a MSPs role would come up either as 2 years ago it was MSPs something in the scottish government wasnt it.

Most likely be Devolution or Co operation/conflict between holyrood and westminster. Somebody else predicted representation at Westminster but that came up in 2010 or 2009. so less likely.

ReputationRep:
    It's 15 degrees, I'm going outside to revise.

ReputationRep:
    lmao. Devolution is soooo much easier than LA right!. i like the fact that you can put devolved/reserved in alot of questions :P
    I dont think a MSPs role would come up either as 2 years ago it was MSPs something in the scottish government wasnt it.

Most likely be Devolution or Co operation/conflict between holyrood and westminster. Somebody else predicted representation at Westminster but that came up in 2010 or 2009. so less likely.
    Haha! Yeah i like that too That is probably true yep, i hate predicitions wish they just old us what to revise aha would be much easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackoGeddes)
    i posted earlier what we got told to study - our teacher predicts atleast 3 right every year. if i'm honest my revision for this has been few and far between, got an A in the prelim and have been doing most studying for maths and biology while shunning this but the hard work begins today! i'll do ..

voting systems, learn enough about voting behavior i could wing it in
    emergency

lifestyle/poverty on health, government policies to reduce poverty, gender and race (since social and economic is pretty much the exact same essay)

american immigration, american dream, social and eco, influence on elections, who immigrants vote for

South africa; social/eco inequalities, BEE, inequality between/within racial groups

going to get all these plans written up and start rote learning then make sure i can do most of them in 22.5 minutes
    This is exactly what in going to do! But for South Africa would you have to include govt policies in the socio-economic question? And how would you split up the question on inequalities between racial groups? Sorry for all the questions! Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Will party list vs FPTP come up this year do you think? Just because i have no notes on it at all, i dont even think we have been taught much about it at all... slightly worried as many on tsr are saying that it might come up in the 1D unit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala4)
    I am the same, have no idea where to start with this.. Have a look at the marking instructions, they may help!
    http://www.understandingstandards.or...mples/example6

Look at these examples, the second one got full marks. To bring it up to date you could talk about the new welfare reforms being more individualist as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmissi)
    http://www.understandingstandards.or...mples/example6

Look at these examples, the second one got full marks. To bring it up to date you could talk about the new welfare reforms being more individualist as well
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    In the party list system, does anybody have any coalitions of parties that PL has produced i could use in my essay :P

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    We have not covered the party list system at all! Would someone be able to give me a brief explanation of how it works? I would hate for it to come up in the exam and for me to have no idea how to answer it.

Secondly, would you answer the question below in the same manner as you would if you were discussing how ethnic minorites influence elections?
    "Assess the importance of the minority ethnic vote to the Democratic and Republican parties".

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    1A- devolution in scotland
    1D- PR more choice/representation/fairer than FPTP
    2- critically examine the view that govt, not individuals should be responsible for healthcare and welfare provision

ReputationRep:
    ... link between income / health
    3C American Dream
    ethnic minorities representation / importance / influence in political system
    immigration
    ???????????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gmacg)
    1A- devolution in scotland
    1D- PR more choice/representation/fairer than FPTP
    2- critically examine the view that govt, not individuals should be responsible for healthcare and welfare provision
    For 1D is that just AMS has more choice/representation/fairer than FPTP ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roarwalk49)
    For 1D is that just AMS has more choice/representation/fairer than FPTP ??
    PR- meaning Party list, STV and AMS.

ReputationRep:
    My notes on Party List:

Used in European Parliament elections. Usually covers the whole country. Voters vote for a party, and a candidate needs to be high enough on the party's list to be elected.

Strengths: Most proportional of all PR systems, if a party receives 30% of the vote then it receives 30% of the seats in Parliament.
    Very easy for the voters to understand and use.
    Voters have to choose from only a small number of parties.

Weaknesses: Voters have little or no choice over the selection of candidates. This gives huge power to the parties who place the candidates on the list.
    There is no connection between MEPs and an area.
    Can create coalitions.
    Candidates are not truly popular unless they stand as parties of one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.