Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories? Watch

ReputationRep:
    You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelxox)
    These kind of threads inspired me last year so i'm gonna add some inspiration too :
    AS level-BBD
    Overall A level: A*AB.
    It was the D grade that turned into an a* too
    Same grades as me at AS! Did you resit modules in the two Bs or did you manage to get AB in them without resitting any? My two Bs were high but my school are making me resit a module in them regardless.

ReputationRep:
    I got 2 B's and 2 D's at AS and came out with 3 A's at the end (I had EC and had the privilege of January resits)

However, it took a lot of work and if you have a good teacher and are willing to work then yeah it's 100% possible, unfortunately as well I didn't have a fantastic teacher so I taught myself the work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    For any science students (especially Biology and chemistry) and Maths, it's very very easy to be hard-working and knowing your stuff, but still ending up on a C, what AS students don't realise is how big a jump A-levels are from GCSEs (especially in terms of marking). A-levels don't just require knowledge, they require tactics, you need to understand WHAT the question in your exam paper is asking and HOW you should answer it. So it's not about what you know, it's about WHERE you put it and HOW you present it! Exam technique is really important as well as knowing your specification inside out!

This is what I did to go from DDDE to A*A*AA:

• Keep yourself organised, don't set yourself the amount of hours you'd revise in an evening, instead set yourself targets (say to yourself "okay I'm going to finish making notes for this chapter today") and stick to them!
    • Make notes according to your exam board's specification. Honestly literally know your specification inside out. This is especially important for anyone doing OCR chemistry and Edexcel Biology.
    • For maths: I used examsolutions and I did textbook chapters a lot before starting on past papers to make me confident. After I did past papers I tallied which topics I kept losing marks on then I looked up questions in past papers specific to that topic and did them all!
    • For Edexcel Biology, the examiner reports are a BIG life-saver. They not only show you the answers previous candidates have written but also how many marks they achieved for it (these can be found on the official Edexcel website). Biology mark schemes are usually very basic, so examiner reports help you in perfecting your exam technique
    • For OCR chemistry: I did OCR (B) so this is what I used: http://www.rswebsites.co.uk/science/...pers/Index.htm, I literally did every past paper ever. With OCR chemistry you'll slowly start to understand that their papers are really repetitive but their mark schemes are REALLY specific. So it's a good idea to memorise the big 6 markers for which the mark scheme never changes. Also, if you can find yourself something similar to what that link has to offer then that would be helpful!
    • Obviously, give yourself a break every now and again, but don't keep delaying targets. You don't want work piling up.
    • Get your teachers to mark your past papers as much as possible.
    • Watch YouTube videos for anything you don't quite understand in Biology or chemistry (you'd be surprised at the amount of education crap on YouTube)
    • I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to make your own notes. I mean, it's good to find online notes, but reading through them didn't really help me a big deal.
    • Try CGP revision guide for Edexcel Biology, they really did help me, but NEVER rely on revision guides to cover everything (especially for OCR Chemistry). Make sure you look through the specification and tick off stuff that you know!

That's all I can think of right now, sorry it's a lot of reading but I hope it helps someone.
    Btw, when did you start doing past papers questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teen1234)
    ABBC at AS is psychology biology maths and chemistry respectively
    Dropped the A in psychology for A2 and ended up getting A*A*A in maths bio chem.
    First year wasnt too good since i thought i could doss around in lessons and still come out with A*s just like GCSE by getting out the textbook a week before the exam. Second year I paid attention in class and actually did homework, with a decent prep before the exams I raised my grades.
    Pretty chuffed to go from BBC to A*A*A, it is possible.

EDIT - A little update. im going to be studying dentistry in september
    What boards were u on for those subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie97)
    Same grades as me at AS! Did you resit modules in the two Bs or did you manage to get AB in them without resitting any? My two Bs were high but my school are making me resit a module in them regardless.
    Well I resat 1 module from each of the b grades, I didn't actually have to or want to because my target was ABB but my teachers said just to secure the grades incase A2 brings them down.
    If they are high then you don't need to stress yourself when the resit comes because you always have those B's to fall back on but you have nothing to lose if you resit unless you do too many and end up stresses yourself,so go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iProcrastinate.)
    Last year I got BBDD at AS (I thought I could get away with minimal revision like GCSEs)
    This year I managed ABB. (Psychology, Biology and Chemistry) Both of the Bs weren't far off As.

My chemistry teacher in particular was almost certain i wouldnt get above a C in chemistry. If I saw him on results day I would have rubbed my results sheet in his face.
    Did you resit exams for that or did you just work super hard in a2 year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maidoftheseas)
    I got BBEE in AS. Worked my butt off everyday in the school library and IT room-got AAA in year 13. Now at Oxford.:badger::bban:
    What were your GCSE grades? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanttobeadoc)
    Did you resit exams for that or did you just work super hard in a2 year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I resat 4 exams.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to get AAB at a level but from BBC... Fingers crosses I will be able to do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 007anne)
    I'm hoping to get AAB at a level but from BBC... Fingers crosses I will be able to do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same! Although mine is BBD. Are you resitting your modules in your C?

ReputationRep:
    Same! Although mine is BBD. Are you resitting your modules in your C?
    No I'm hoping that my a2 grades will move my grade up to a B cause I was couple of ums off a B. Are you any resits??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got ACC January before last at AS (back in the days when there were Jan exams, ahh, those were the days); I was chuffed with the A but disappointed with the Cs (even though they're not bad grades). It was a wake-up call and with the resits I did to boost the Cs, I came out with AABB at AS

When I first started college, the lady interviewing me expressed concern that, because I was a mature student (I was 23 when I started), they were worried I'd get disheartened or find it too challenging and drop out, which would look bad on them. Fair enough I thought, though I was desperate to do my A-levels so I could finally go and do a degree and kick start my career. Thank god they gave me a chance. Got A*AA this year and start uni next month

My advice to anyone contemplating resits: if it's gonna help and you feel you can balance the revision, go for it. I resat F322 chem in an attempt to get an A this year as my teacher was worried I might not get it if I didn't. I was worried it would distract from my other subjects but when it came to it, it fit in nicely with some parts from year 2 anyway. And thank goodness I resat - without it, I'd have missed the A A B is fantastic but I'm so over the moon with the A that resitting was the best thing I could do. That was only one exam though, I think at A2 it's more challenging so don't take on too many resits unless you honestly believe you can handle the much larger workload.

Good luck guys

ReputationRep:
    i have been reading these types of threads for the past year to boost my confidence as i failed my AS haha...I wouldnt at all call myself a success story, in fact im far from success, however i would say that im less of a failure than last year!

Last year AS: BCDU (politics,physics, economics and maths)

AS retakes: BBB economics, politics, and physics

Overall A2: BBC economics, politics and physics

Not the best set of grades, yet not the worst...oh well I have left school and now can take a gap year. Who knows what the next year will hold, perhaps better grades than last year? perhaps I will get an A? - maybe...only time will tell. Anyways, until that time comes around next year where im bombarded with other people who have done far better than i ever could, i will just have to wait. Onwards and upwards!

ReputationRep:
    I got BBBB in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Literature this year. They were all decent Bs - do you think I've got a chance of getting at least A*AA for A2 by doing a few retakes and working harder?

- 4 UMS off an A in Maths
    - 5 UMS off an A in English
    - 10 UMS off an A in Biology
    - 11 UMS off an A in Chemistry

Also, I had been planning of applying to Oxford but that seems unrealistic now unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Hi has anyone got into medicine with a/s grades of 3 B's in LAW,CHEMISTRY and BIOLOGY and an A level grade B in ENGLISH LITERATURE (course work predicted a but marked b hoping it can be remarked):confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 007anne)
    No I'm hoping that my a2 grades will move my grade up to a B cause I was couple of ums off a B. Are you any resits??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's good! I'm probably going to resit 3 modules

ReputationRep:
    That's good! I'm probably going to resit 3 modules
    My sixth form is annoying, we have a limit on retakes so if you retake more than 4 modules we are encouraged to retake the YEAR!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    First year in As: UUD Chemistry, Biology and geography respectively.

Retake year: CC Biology and Chemistry. (Carried on Geography to A2 and finished with a C in Geography)

A2 year: CD Chemistry Biology. Was 4% of a B in chemistry and Everyone's Biology coursework got marked down so we all dropped a grade.

Now going to Study Chemistry at Greenwich University, feels like I've come so far.
    To be fair i still like i could have done more work and with less stupid panic mistakes in the exam i could have better grades.

ReputationRep:
    Getting so much reassurance from this thread.

ABBE achieved at AS last week.

This doesn't sound too bad except the E was in Biology and the only subject I actually need for my chosen career. I need Biology at a grade B for A-Level.

Anyone else just achieved an E at AS and hoping to turn it around to a B by the end of year 13?

Is this even possible. I got a a U and a D in the written papers and a C in the practical. Would you retake all three modules?

What can I expect or hope at best as a predicted grade?

Help!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.