Turn on thread page Beta

The Football League thread II watch

ReputationRep:
    The QPR figures are not surprising but still highly embarrassing, what a joke of a club!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Jangrafess)
    Generally I don't give a **** who you support as long as it's not MK Dons.

edit: I'd prefer it to be Brentford, admittedly.

(Original post by Midlander)
    Ah, the club thieves. I saw a BBC article a few months back that seriously asked if it was fine to ignore their roots. Sorry, they stole Winbledon's club, so no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Jangrafess)
    Yeah that was a ridiculous article. Essentially "hey it's been ten years, surely people have forgotten???? And they do some community work... come on guys it's okay right?"

No it ****ing isn't.
    However MK Dons came into existence was not the fault of the fans, many of which have grown up in MK so it is their local team and will not know (or particularly care) much about the details of the move from Wimbledon. The history pre-MK was handed back and AFC have a team in the league now so things have more or less worked out for everyone (except perhaps a team that may have lost out on promotion around the time of the move if Wimbledon had gone bust instead of being bought out and moved).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    However MK Dons came into existence was not the fault of the fans, many of which have grown up in MK so it is their local team and will not know (or particularly care) much about the details of the move from Wimbledon. The history pre-MK was handed back and AFC have a team in the league now so things have more or less worked out for everyone (except perhaps a team that may have lost out on promotion around the time of the move if Wimbledon had gone bust instead of being bought out and moved).
    Well, a few things wrong with this:

1. Winkelman would not have attempted it if he didn't think there was demand for a league club in Milton Keynes. So yes, the fans are partly responsible.

2. Milton Keynes already had a football club. He could have made big investment into this one rather than stealing one which had been a part of its community for much longer. Not caring about this past is precisely why your fans as well as your club aren't the most popular.

3. So what that the history was handed back, it was never yours to begin with. Wimbledon fans had their club taken off them and shunted somewhere else and were left having to start from the bottom of the ladder with their own cash. Yes they got back up but the club is a smaller enterprise than it was before and its fan base has shrunk.

It was just plain wrong. Maybe one day your club will get relocated and then you may understand why nobody in the football community has the time of day for 'Franchise FC'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham City's Carson Yeung has been jailed for money laundering. I assume there is no fit and proper test like the Premier League? If so do I expect Cellino to take over Leeds Utd? I mean, it might be worth paying a visit to see his daughter though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Birmingham City's Carson Yeung has been jailed for money laundering. I assume there is no fit and proper test like the Premier League? If so do I expect Cellino to take over Leeds Utd? I mean, it might be worth paying a visit to see his daughter though.
    I think the one that PL uses is also applies the football league if you get my point.

Tbh if the Romans, sheikhs, shinawatras can pass it, celino has nothing to worry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    I think the one that PL uses is also applies the football league if you get my point.

Tbh if the Romans, sheikhs, shinawatras can pass it, celino has nothing to worry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I imagine some people may make the distinction between Monsour and Abramovich since they're not wanted by their own countries for crimes (as far as I know) that will prevent them from being running the club.

So I'm going to see supporters with posters up with "FIT AND PROPER?" on Sky Sports News soon again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I imagine some people may make the distinction between Monsour and Abramovich since they're not wanted by their own countries for crimes (as far as I know) that will prevent them from being running the club.
    It's hard to want to incriminate yourself- both after all pretty much own their respective countries. Plus, their democracratic system is inferior to the west so, it can't be trusted and all the charges against them will motivated by political corruption or some BS like that.

They're brilliant at ignoring the law of countries they don't like hence why Shinawatra and Yeung were allowed to be owners. As long as they keep buying all the properties in Belgravia, it's all gravy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    So QPR have announced losses of £65m, with a wage bill higher than Borussia Dortmund. It's going to be so hilarious if they don't go up this season. 'Arry on course to ruin yet another club.
    Talking about this, did anyone else come across Thomas Hitzelberger's tweet in which he told his agent to ask for £5m but QPR interpreted it as agent fee and were okay with it. And then asked "how much does your player want?"

Reminiscent of the Seth Johnson Peter Ridsdale story.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by 419)
    Talking about this, did anyone else come across Thomas Hitzelberger's tweet in which he told his agent to ask for for £5m but QPR interpreted at as agent fee and were okay with it. And then asked "how much does your player want?"

Reminiscent of the Seth Johnson Peter Ridsdale story.
    Just found that on Twitter. Look at the last release of agents fees by the Premier League and it's even more shocking, only a handful of clubs spent more than that in total :lolwut:

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/n...-nov-2013.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    It's hard to want to incriminate yourself- both after all pretty much own their respective countries. Plus, their democracratic system is inferior to the west so, it can't be trusted and all the charges against them will motivated by political corruption or some BS like that.

They're brilliant at ignoring the law of countries they don't like hence why Shinawatra and Yeung were allowed to be owners. As long as they keep buying all the properties in Belgravia, it's all gravy.
    Or Leicester's owners who run a dubious business of their own. Nobody cares as long as their team's winning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Or Leicester's owners who run a dubious business of their own. Nobody cares as long as their team's winning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A dubious business? C'mon, if you know nothing about their going ons, don't try and act like you do. In Thailand they run a series of duty-free shops and own a polo side, nothing really dodgy like Yeung (money-laundering) or Shinawatra's political corruption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    A dubious business? C'mon, if you know nothing about their going ons, don't try and act like you do. In Thailand they run a series of duty-free shops and own a polo side, nothing really dodgy like Yeung (money-laundering) or Shinawatra's political corruption.
    A quick look into their business affairs shows not all to be an above board enterprise. Actually look into the ins and outs of who's running the club.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    A quick look into their business affairs shows not all to be an above board enterprise. Actually look into the ins and outs of who's running the club.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh really - so what isn't above board about it? The one slightly dodgy thing I can find is this bit about a couple accusing King Power of scamming them via phony shop-lifting, despite the presence of CCTV footage showing them shop-lifting. That's not the business being slightly dodgy, that's customer's being dicks. It's a perfectly above board business, fully contracted (even if in the past they messed up one of the contracts - a simple clerical error, most businesses will have one if they've been running for a while - and having run for 25 years, King Power have been going quite a while).

I have - most Leicester fans I know did when they were set to take over. There's nothing untoward about them and thus far they've been very good owners. Sure they've made some mistakes (giving Sven a blank cheque book) but they've rectified them and learned from them.

All this "people don't care when their team is winning" stuff is utter nonsense: Leicester fans don't worry because we've got good owners who've done a lot of good work for the club (we own our own ground now and are debt free for the first time since the days of Martin George and Mark McGhee)

ReputationRep:
    Oh really - so what isn't above board about it? The one slightly dodgy thing I can find is this bit about a couple accusing King Power of scamming them via phony shop-lifting, despite the presence of CCTV footage showing them shop-lifting. That's not the business being slightly dodgy, that's customer's being dicks. It's a perfectly above board business, fully contracted (even if in the past they messed up one of the contracts - a simple clerical error, most businesses will have one if they've been running for a while - and having run for 25 years, King Power have been going quite a while).

I have - most Leicester fans I know did when they were set to take over. There's nothing untoward about them and thus far they've been very good owners. Sure they've made some mistakes (giving Sven a blank cheque book) but they've rectified them and learned from them.

All this "people don't care when their team is winning" stuff is utter nonsense: Leicester fans don't worry because we've got good owners who've done a lot of good work for the club (we own our own ground now and are debt free for the first time since the days of Martin George and Mark McGhee)
    Leicester haven't ever really struggled under the Thais so it's tough to see where you're coming from here. More to the point, the club does not own the ground-that is the property of the Thais' holding company; I also find your claim of being debt free somewhat baffling given the amount they have plundered in to cover losses.

Do you expect them not to want any of their money back?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Leicester haven't ever really struggled under the Thais so it's tough to see where you're coming from here. More to the point, the club does not own the ground-that is the property of the Thais' holding company; I also find your claim of being debt free somewhat baffling given the amount they have plundered in to cover losses.

Do you expect them not to want any of their money back?
    Erm - did you miss the midtable seasons in the days of Sousa/Sven and Sven/Pearson? or last seasons relegation form for 3 months of the season? Granted it's not struggling compared to the middle of last decade, but it was hardly winning all the time. Still the point is that the owners have been very good thus far.

The stadium is owned by the same section the club is under, we pay no money on it - for all intents and purposes, it's ours since sale of the club would include a sale of the stadium.

The reason you find it baffling is because you've not actually paid attention to any of their dealings, despite claiming to. Back in December they wrote off all the loans they'd paid in, as well as the debt racked up over the previous 2 decades, turning the value into extra shares and buying those shares to wipe out the clubs debts - so rather than the money they've ploughed in being loans with interest to pay back as well, that money is instead now the purchasing of shares

Even if they want their money back, the only way to get it back is to sell the club, because all they can claim back from the club at the moment is dividends if we make a profit.

ReputationRep:
    Erm - did you miss the midtable seasons in the days of Sousa/Sven and Sven/Pearson? or last seasons relegation form for 3 months of the season? Granted it's not struggling compared to the middle of last decade, but it was hardly winning all the time. Still the point is that the owners have been very good thus far.

The stadium is owned by the same section the club is under, we pay no money on it - for all intents and purposes, it's ours since sale of the club would include a sale of the stadium.

The reason you find it baffling is because you've not actually paid attention to any of their dealings, despite claiming to. Back in December they wrote off all the loans they'd paid in, as well as the debt racked up over the previous 2 decades, turning the value into extra shares and buying those shares to wipe out the clubs debts - so rather than the money they've ploughed in being loans with interest to pay back as well, that money is instead now the purchasing of shares

Even if they want their money back, the only way to get it back is to sell the club, because all they can claim back from the club at the moment is dividends if we make a profit.
    Finishing midtable is not disastrous. Writing off tens of millions of pounds makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. However, you still seem mistaken in the belief that they aren't the ones who really own the ground-they bought it and as overall owners of the club it's up to them what they do with it.

Which means if they ever fancy getting some money back, they could sell the stadium to whoever. This is what I'm trying to get at with the present rules on ownership-they have the power to do whatever they want with the club, for better or worse, and there's nothing Leicester fans can do about it.

ReputationRep:
    Finishing midtable is not disastrous. Writing off tens of millions of pounds makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. However, you still seem mistaken in the belief that they aren't the ones who really own the ground-they bought it and as overall owners of the club it's up to them what they do with it.

Which means if they ever fancy getting some money back, they could sell the stadium to whoever. This is what I'm trying to get at with the present rules on ownership-they have the power to do whatever they want with the club, for better or worse, and there's nothing Leicester fans can do about it.
    And the stadium is now officially listed as a community asset meaning that any attempts to sell it can be paused to allow the community to step in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think that Robert Mugabe would pass the owners and directors test, if I understand it correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertine96)
    And the stadium is now officially listed as a community asset meaning that any attempts to sell it can be paused to allow the community to step in.
    In what way?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In what way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://mycommunityrights.org.uk/community-right-to-bid/

Granted it may be difficult for a community to raise the funds to buy something with value of the KP or other grounds but its some sort of safety net

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.