Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!! Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanze)
    Hi everyone! I was wondering whether I should include in the work section of my applications for TC that I have been selected for a winter VS, although I haven't commenced it yet?! Obviously, I wouldn't be able to give much of a description...would it be best to not included it at all in those app that I will send off before my schemes ends? Thanks!
    Yes, definitely include it just don't put any detail apart from something like "to be completed December 2014".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrlufc3131)
    Now received an offer
    Congrats! Is your vac scheme in August as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horse273)
    Congrats! Is your vac scheme in August as well?
    Thank you! Yes it is, see you there?!

ReputationRep:
    Invited to Linklaters assessment centre. Has anyone been?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrlufc3131)
    Thank you! Yes it is, see you there?!
    Haha brilliant yes I'm on the August one too :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horse273)
    Haha brilliant yes I'm on the August one too :cool:
    Sweeeeet, congrats!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard back about Freshfields Winter Workshops?!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard back from Baker & McKenzie post telephone interview?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard from Slaughter and May summer vac scheme?

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that Norton Rose Fulbright and Baker & Mckenzie reject people if they got a 2:2 module in first year even if they got a 2:1 overall?? I'm wondering whether I'll get rejected from those firms because of my 2:2 in contract law (not an ideal one to get a 2:2 in anyway i'm aware!)

also has anyone heard from simmons & simmons yet? i'm gonna be putting in an app there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidioteque)
    Yesterday - yours was today, right? How did it go?
    Hey yea it was, it seemed ok but still waiting to hear back. Fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tunafish)
    Hey yea it was, it seemed ok but still waiting to hear back. Fingers crossed.
    I'm sure you'll be getting the good news in no time! I found it pretty tricky tbh, I absolutely hate competency questions :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Ouch - that's really quite rude. No need for it.
    What was great about this forum when I was applying for TCs was that people who had been through the process had the decency to be honest rather than giving false hope.

I have friends at Cambridge who were rejected from Freshfields - without interview - with high firsts. I'd never think of applying somewhere of Freshfields calibre, if I had a 2.2 from a University outside the top 50.

It's unrealistic and a complete waste of the firm's time as they now have to read that application despite the fact that it's outside the requirements that they specify applicants meet - at very least a consistent 2.1 in every year at university.

There's no point blowing smoke up someones arse. That won't happen when you're a lawyer.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Anyone got the Clifford Chance non law winter workshop?

They say you get an assessment day at the end of it so if anyone has previously done a CC assessment day. Please help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacktc890)
    What was great about this forum when I was applying for TCs was that people who had been through the process had the decency to be honest rather than giving false hope.

I have friends at Cambridge who were rejected from Freshfields - without interview - with high firsts. I'd never think of applying somewhere of Freshfields calibre, if I had a 2.2 from a University outside the top 50.

It's unrealistic and a complete waste of the firm's time as they now have to read that application despite the fact that it's outside the requirements that they specify applicants meet - at very least a consistent 2.1 in every year at university.

There's no point blowing smoke up someones arse. That won't happen when you're a lawyer.
    I agree with the general principle of your point; that applicants should be realistic with the firms they are applying to.

That said, you don't know the circumstances of the poster in question and neither do I. He/She may well have achieved a 2.2 as a result of mitigating circumstances. Equally, many firms are flexible on the 2.2 requirement if the applicant has some other noteworthy achievements on their CV. To categorically say that she should not have applied is, as others have said, harsh.

While the aim of this forum is to provide an insight into the training contract process, its aim is not to strike down posters and make them feel inferior. Rather they should provide support and constructive criticism as a means of helping them on their route to success.

ReputationRep:

I completely agree - there's no point blowing smoke up someone's arse. But there's also no point belittling them.

Freshfields do not specify in absolute terms that they require at least a 2:1 in every year at university. They qualify it with the word "normally". In fact, if they did have the absolute, unflinching policy that you're suggesting, they wouldn't have to "waste their time" reading through SophieLK's application at all because it would be automatically filtered out on account of her grades. Like most firms, though, they give room for manoeuvre where students have suffered from extenuating circumstances. SophieLK might have such circumstances; she might not - I'm not entirely sure. But to categorically suggest that somebody should not apply (or to disparage somebody who has already done so) based on what is a very small portion of the overall picture is pretty stupid.

On top of that, even if you were right to hold the view that she shouldn't have applied, there are better ways of getting that point across. Nobody was trying to give "false hope". If you were looking to dampen her expectations, you could have done it in 100 other, less obnoxious ways.

This process is stressful enough as it is, without people being made to feel **** about themselves.

All the best.

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree - there's no point blowing smoke up someone's arse. But there's also no point belittling them.

Freshfields do not specify in absolute terms that they require at least a 2:1 in every year at university. They qualify it with the word "normally". In fact, if they did have the absolute, unflinching policy that you're suggesting, they wouldn't have to "waste their time" reading through SophieLK's application at all because it would be automatically filtered out on account of her grades. Like most firms, though, they give room for manoeuvre where students have suffered from extenuating circumstances. SophieLK might have such circumstances; she might not - I'm not entirely sure. But to categorically suggest that somebody should not apply (or to disparage somebody who has already done so) based on what is a very small portion of the overall picture is pretty stupid.

On top of that, even if you were right to hold the view that she shouldn't have applied, there are better ways of getting that point across. Nobody was trying to give "false hope". If you were looking to dampen her expectations, you could have done it in 100 other, less obnoxious ways.

This process is stressful enough as it is, without people being made to feel **** about themselves.

All the best.

That kind of false moralism is just utter tosh and the fact that you are resorting to calling me stupid illustrates the weakness of your point.
    The reality is that firms like that do not accept people with 2.2s if you know of a Freshfields trainee, or even a MC trainee, with a 2.2 then please do let me know. I don't.

I'm a trainee with another MC firm and I have a lot more experience of this process than someone like yourself applying for vac schemes with bugger all experience of anything.

Freshfields expect a minimum good 2.1 every year not just overall and many trainees I met at BPP well exceeded that. It's utterly unrealistic. That's the truth.

Good luck in getting a TC, with that kind of analysis you'll need it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    That kind of false moralism is just utter tosh and the fact that you are resorting to calling me stupid illustrates the weakness of your point.
    The reality is that firms like that do not accept people with 2.2s if you know of a Freshfields trainee, or even a MC trainee, with a 2.2 then please do let me know. I don't.

I'm a trainee with another MC firm and I have a lot more experience of this process than someone like yourself applying for vac schemes with bugger all experience of anything.

Freshfields expect a minimum good 2.1 every year not just overall and many trainees I met at BPP well exceeded that. It's utterly unrealistic. That's the truth.

Good luck in getting a TC, with that kind of analysis you'll need it.
    Trainees with 2.2s aren't exactly going to shout from the roof tops that they have that class of degree. You might not know anyone with a 2.2 but that might be due to them not sharing that information with you.

But they do exist in very small numbers in MC (and other firms). They usually have extenuating circumstances or an exceptional story behind it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Trainees with 2.2s aren't exactly going to shout from the roof tops that they have that class of degree. You might not know anyone with a 2.2 but that might be due to them not sharing that information with you.

But they do exist in very small numbers in MC (and other firms). They usually have extenuating circumstances or an exceptional story behind it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't entirely agree with any of these responses really.

All the magic firms firms say you need a 2.1 at least and Freshies do say, in addition, that they expect at least a 2.1 in every year. Given their position in the market it's not really surprising that they do this.

Don't agree at all with Jack's mannerism or his tone which is bloody condescending at best and at worst douchey - he sounds like a CC prat to me - but I have to agree (a little) with some of the content.

I don't know of anybody even anecdotally who applied with a 2.2 and then got a Magic Circle training contract. Not saying it has never happened, but I think I'd say it's a pretty minute chance since the recruitment market now is absolutely fierce and magic circle firms are consistently cutting their intakes as well. At my college alone Freshies rejected all of my law class without interview - 2 with distinctions in Law Mods and the rest with great 2.1s. While I did have a Distinction in Mods myself I have to admit being a bit intimidated when I 'LinkedIn stalked' my future fellow Freshfields trainees!

Anyway that's really just my two cents.
    All the best with the app though and I hope you get onto the workshop.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm about to submit a vac scheme app to Olswang. Does anyone know how long they usually take to get back to you? Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.