Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelion0)
    I'll be starting Credit Suisse once I finish Blackrock. I'm using it to prepare for firms I would actually like to work at.

Yes I will also be going to the morning event. I wanted to know the format of the evening and why a video interview was required of us.
    yeah good job. Let me know when you actually start sending them off. I'm trying to prepare each application one at a time.

What do you mean prepare for other firms? Do you mean see how the tests/ interviews are?

I can only assume the video interview was just to see whether people are competent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Maddon)
    yeah good job. Let me know when you actually start sending them off. I'm trying to prepare each application one at a time.

What do you mean prepare for other firms? Do you mean see how the tests/ interviews are?

I can only assume the video interview was just to see whether people are competent.
    I mean cover letters. The most difficult is getting past the initial screening.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be starting Credit Suisse once I finish Blackrock. I'm using it to prepare for firms I would actually like to work at.

Yes I will also be going to the morning event. I wanted to know the format of the evening and why a video interview was required of us.
    I did the video interview, got through and attending. They said it was just to test your 'skills' in real time, part of the short listing I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B-Stacks)
    Ah. It does seem like it will be a very insightful day. It is afternoon so may fit in your schedule?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hobes1)
    I did the video interview, got through and attending. They said it was just to test your 'skills' in real time, part of the short listing I guess.
    Personally thought the video interview was a load of BS.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to go out right and say this:

Who else is scared that after putting hours and effort to apply for spring weeks they they won't get a single one.

I go to a **** uni so I'm even more scared. It's easier to say it to a bunch of strangers

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to go out right and say this:

Who else is scared that after putting hours and effort to apply for spring weeks they they won't get a single one.

I go to a **** uni so I'm even more scared. It's easier to say it to a bunch of strangers
    If your uni is actually **** then you should probably be prepared for that epiphany to become a reality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cutmeloose)
    If your uni is actually **** then you should probably be prepared for that epiphany to become a reality.
    i am prepared, that does not mean it won't upset me

ReputationRep:
    i am prepared, that does not mean it won't upset me
    QMUL is not ****. I assume that's where you're going judging from your posts.

However you will struggle to get a SW unless you're an atypical QMUL student.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd ask your opinion on what you think my chances are landing some SW's. I haven't got any related work experience for my CV, don't go to a target, but neither a crap university (Nottingham). I'm a second year who basically wasted first year trying to settle in and be someone I'm not, so now it's time for me to focus mainly on my career and where I want to get in life.

Is it possible to get some offers even though I don't go to a target?

I'm planning on doing an insane amount of networking from now on and even though this isn't really in the industry I've got contacts with a few CEO's of companies who are letting me have a weeks worth of experience in their finance department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    Thought I'd ask your opinion on what you think my chances are landing some SW's. I haven't got any related work experience for my CV, don't go to a target, but neither a crap university (Nottingham). I'm a second year who basically wasted first year trying to settle in and be someone I'm not, so now it's time for me to focus mainly on my career and where I want to get in life.

Is it possible to get some offers even though I don't go to a target?

I'm planning on doing an insane amount of networking from now on and even though this isn't really in the industry I've got contacts with a few CEO's of companies who are letting me have a weeks worth of experience in their finance department.
    First thing to say is that Nottingham is not a middle of the road university. It's an excellent university and still very much in the top ten for recruitment purposes in banking. Maths at Nottingham certainly does not show a lack of pedigree in anyway.

Second years on four years typically do pretty well with regards to securing SWs - Did you literally waste first year or do you think you can find aspects of the year to spin positively on your applications?

Definitely do the finance work experience thing, it'll help as a CV filler and as a way to highlight your interest. Networking is not that important at this stage, but definitely attend campus events. You'll be ahead of the freshers who don't know their Goldman from their Morgan.

Just to touch on the target issue, you can secure numerous offers from universities outside the 'targets' I know of people who did IBD SW at GS from QMUL, GIR at GS from City and even Morgan Stanley S&T with Geography from Leicester!.They all converted. They are clearly outliers but the 'targets' correlation boils down to a few things.

At LSE and Warwick (from what I hear from friends at the latter) There is an almost unhealthy obsession with getting into IB, and by that I mean (S&T or IBD) I think it speaks volumes when the biggest society at both universities is the finance society. Students gravitate to those who secure the big ticket offers or seem to know their ****. I think people elsewhere sometimes underestimate how keen people at some universities are to break into the industry. I'm not sure about the Oxbridge vibe, but I'd imagine that it'd be far less intense.

At LSE, the question of which bank(s) you're at for Spring did come up EVEN on a night out. The same culture simply does not exist at places like Nottingham and Bristol. I'd hazard a guess, that the numbers applying from the 'targets' is considerably more than at Bristol/Notts/Durham. My mates at those universities were busy getting on the lash and adhering to the 40% will do me. At LSE, even if you do Sociology, you consider SWs, the average Sociology student at Bristol or Durham has absolutely no interest in banking.

The students at the 'targets' are generally more 'career focused' which often makes it a bit of a nightmare to get onto an exec on a reputable society(every student has the same idea as you) This obviously translates to those students being more on the ball than those elsewhere. At the smaller networking events, it's also often students from the likes of LSE/UCL who can be bothered to attend, that's where proximity can help.

The calibre is simply higher at the targets. There is nothing intrinsically special about going to LSE/Warwick/UCL, the teaching is fairly mediocre outside of Oxbridge. The people are just generally keener and more dedicated to breaking into the industry. Having said that, there are LSE Econ students who got no SWs, so your alumni won't help if you can't string a coherent sentence together.

Just apply fairly early, research your division and have a story.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    First thing to say is that Nottingham is not a middle of the road university. It's an excellent university and still very much in the top ten for recruitment purposes in banking.

Second years on four years typically do pretty well with regards to securing SWs - Did you literally waste first year or do you think you can find aspects of the year to spin positively on your applications?

Definitely do the finance work experience thing, it'll help as a CV filler and as a way to highlight your interest. Networking is not that important at this stage, but definitely attend campus events. You'll be ahead of the freshers who don't know their Goldman from their Morgan.

Just to touch on the target issue, you can secure numerous offers from universities outside the 'targets' I know of people who did IBD SW at GS from QMUL, GIR at GS from City and even Morgan Stanley S&T with Geography from Leicester!.They all converted. They are clearly outliers but the 'targets' correlation boils down to a few things.

At LSE and Warwick (from what I hear from friends at the latter) There is an almost unhealthy obsession with getting into IB, and by that I mean (S&T or IBD) I think it speaks volumes when the biggest society at both universities is the finance society. Students gravitate to those who secure the big ticket offers or seem to know their ****. I think people elsewhere sometimes underestimate how keen people at some universities are to break into the industry. I'm not sure about the Oxbridge vibe, but I'd imagine that it'd be far less intense.

At LSE, the question of which bank(s) you're at for Spring did come up EVEN on a night out. The same culture simply does not exist at places like Nottingham and Bristol. I'd hazard a guess, that the numbers applying from the 'targets' is considerably more than at Bristol/Notts/Durham. My mates at those universities were busy getting on the lash and adhering to the 40% will do me. At LSE, even if you do Sociology, you consider SWs, the average Sociology student at Bristol or Durham has absolutely no interest in banking.

The students at the 'targets' are generally more 'career focused' which often makes it a bit of a nightmare to get onto an exec on a reputable society(every student has the same idea as you) This obviously translates to those students being more on the ball than those elsewhere. At the smaller networking events, it's also often students from the likes of LSE/UCL who can be bothered to attend, that's where proximity can help.

The calibre is simply higher at the targets. Maths at Nottingham certainly does not show a lack of pedigree in anyway.

Just apply fairly early, research your division and have a story.
    Thanks for the response.

I understand that Nottingham is a great university, however I didn't know how well it was viewed upon by the banks, that's all.

Well I did try to get onto the committee of a few societies however they seemed to have an unfair hierarchy that a first year can't be the president of a society, so didn't gain the position I was aiming for. Will try to become my course rep next year. Helped out with a charity this year so I guess I could put that on. I also did attend the very few networking events that they ran throughout the year.

That's true. I'll also see if I can do something similar at companies in Nottingham because otherwise I've only got 3 years working at my local McDonalds as a crew trainer to place as experience, which for any job would be pretty poor.

That's so true about Nottingham! Nearly nobody cared at all about their future and probably still won't this year. I know someone who is going into third year and she's yet to think about a career to pursue. I think I would be better suited at Warwick because I'm a lot more career driven than the majority and feel like my efforts aren't being noticed from here. If it wasn't for STEP then that's where I would currently be as well, oh well.

Thanks, I've already started my applications to all that are currently open, just need to get the cover letters written and then bulk up my CV a bit more before sending off my applications.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys do you know, whether Barclays, UBS, Nomura, Bank of America, Morgan Stanley really are not area specific? Are there further comapanies that are not area specific? I simply have no finance experience and don´t know which area I should choose, so I probably only apply to those firms with a non specific program. Thanks in advance guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gardentennispro)
    Hey guys do you know, whether Barclays, UBS, Nomura, Bank of America, Morgan Stanley really are not area specific? Are there further comapanies that are not area specific? I simply have no finance experience and don´t know which area I should choose, so I probably only apply to those firms with a non specific program. Thanks in advance guys
    Barclays does 'FO' = non-specific; UBS does an insights programme, I don't suppose that's specific; Nomura does another insights programme, same format; BAML lets you choose two divisional preferences, so you'll get an overview and then some specific insight into your favoured divisions; MS is a generalised SW as far as I'm aware.

Others are Citi's generalised programme, and possibly HSBC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)
    Just got word that DB is open for applications
    Link please.

ReputationRep:
    On Goldman's application it asks for your uni grade, which will obviously will be predicted, but I am going to England which means I can apply in my first year for a SW so what do I put down for my uni grade as my uni has not started?

ReputationRep:
    Was reading around at it said research the bank before applying?

How can you best prepare I.e. Goldman's just says summer analyst but doesn't specificy roles

And what do you mean Morgan Stanley is most generalist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Maddon)
    Link please.
    Here there are all the links http://canarywharfian.co.uk/threads/...s-for-2015.71/

ReputationRep:
    Nervous about all the online tests we'll have to take; will definitely need to practice loads beforehand!

If anyone knows of any links where we can do this, that will be greatly appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itssimplyme)
    Nervous about all the online tests we'll have to take; will definitely need to practice loads beforehand!

If anyone knows of any links where we can do this, that will be greatly appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://canarywharfian.co.uk/test-prep/

GraduateMonkey and AssessmentDay are alternatives.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.