Dear Potential Fast Streamers,

I posted previously, that during an e-tray exercise if you select:
    Most effective: Response 1
    Least effective: Response 4

But actual answers were:
    Most effective: Response 2
    Least effective: Response 3

Or etc,
    Your answer would be considered wrong and zero weightage is given.
    I was almost wrong, and accept my apologies for that!
    Any e-tray exercise should have the following elements to be considered to evaluate the overall performance:
    1. Analysing Information and Decisive Action
    2. Interpersonal Sensitivity
    3. Planning and Organisational Skills
    4. Strategizing and Providing Solutions
    5. Written Communication and Comprehension
    If you’re selecting actual “Most effective” response as “Least effective” and actual “Least effective” response as “Most effective”, then you’re given a least credit.
    Best of luck….
    This is very helpful. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shahbaz Ahmad)
    Dear Potential Fast Streamers,

I posted previously, that during an e-tray exercise if you select:
    Most effective: Response 1
    Least effective: Response 4

But actual answers were:
    Most effective: Response 2
    Least effective: Response 3

Or etc,
    Your answer would be considered wrong and zero weightage is given.
    I was almost wrong, and accept my apologies for that!
    Any e-tray exercise should have the following elements to be considered to evaluate the overall performance:
    1. Analysing Information and Decisive Action
    2. Interpersonal Sensitivity
    3. Planning and Organisational Skills
    4. Strategizing and Providing Solutions
    5. Written Communication and Comprehension
    If you’re selecting actual “Most effective” response as “Least effective” and actual “Least effective” response as “Most effective”, then you’re given a least credit.
    Best of luck….
    Not sure where you got this information from but I strongly doubt it's from any pack or site connected with the Civil Service Fast Stream.

Fast Stream assessments, including E-Tray will assess you against the 10 Civil Service-wide competencies which you can find online if you search for the Civil Service Competency Framework. The ones you listed are wrong and misleading. At best, some of them are part of a cluster of indicators in an actual competency. For example, you mentioned planning and organising. This is just one of the indicators for the Delivering at Pace competency.

As for the E-Tray, it is divided into two parts: inbox exercise and written exercise. You need to pass the inbox exercise to get to FSAC. The written exercise part of your E-Tray is only assessed if you reach FSAC. The written exercise part is divided into two sections, both of which will test you against a number of Civil Service competencies.

Regarding the scoring for the inbox exercise of E-Tray, I can't recall where I got this from, and can't guarantee its accuracy, but as I remember it (from somewhere), there is a maximum of two points score in each question/e-mail response.

Subject to the disclaimer above, I think that one point is awarded for choosing the most effective response correctly, and 0.5 point is given if you select the second best option as your answer for the most effective response. Marking for the least effective response works in the same way. That is, the worst course of action as the least effective response carries one point, whilst choosing the third best option as the least effective response gives you 0.5 point. Any other combination attracts zero point.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geekaymillay.)
    Did you have to sit the e-tray? and if so how long did you have to wait until you received your results?
    I submitted my application and got a response about it being successful within 2 days of submission without being required to do any e-tray exercise's (might be different for other schemes).I have only been asked to book an open day & confirm my attendance for the EAC in November.

ReputationRep:
    (Slightly off topic..)

Out of interest, what other grad schemes are people applying for besides Fast Stream (particularly those aiming for the FCO/diplomatic service)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hm13)
    (Slightly off topic..)

Out of interest, what other grad schemes are people applying for besides Fast Stream (particularly those aiming for the FCO/diplomatic service)?
    I'm Commercial/Finance
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hm13)
    (Slightly off topic..)

A mixture really, in having a focus on modelling roles but don't have a great interest in finance

ReputationRep:
    Just finished the numerical test, was absolutely diabolical, but oh well, here's hoping

ReputationRep:
    Gah can't decide whether to do General or GCS, wish you could apply for both

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've been invited to the statistics assessment centre, I just wondered if anyone else was going or has been before and has any advice on what to expect?

ReputationRep:
    Seems like the only analytical scheme who has yet to be invited to the assessment centre is operational research

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by norav27)
    Seems like the only analytical scheme who has yet to be invited to the assessment centre is operational research

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And social science by the looks of it :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    And social science by the looks of it :erm:
    Nope, i know a few who got invited to the government social research service AC :/
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by norav27)
    Nope, i know a few who got invited to the government social research service AC :/
    I guess its just us then :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xan015)
    Hi all,

I will also be taking part in the application process this year (will be the second time applying). I would like to agree with comments above - do take care on the Competency questionnaire. I applied for two streams last year - the Generalist and European. While I failed at the first hurdle in the Generalist stream (my competency test was not good enough), I made it through to the Assessment Centre for the European stream.

If (and it is still a big if) they use a similar marking system to last year, be aware that being successful at a stage for one stream does not guarantee success in others. For example, on the competency test last year, I eventually found out I had scored better than 45% of candidates for the competency questionnaire - that was absolutely great for the European stream (found out I was through to the next stage within a few hours), but I had to wait a few weeks for the Generalist result, only to find out I was unsuccessful.

Still, to end on a happy note, all the best to everyone applying - I hope to meet you in January for the Assessment Centre!

Hi,

I have completed e-tray exercise for Digital and Technology Fast Stream. In fact, I grasped the full statistics under each sub-folder of the Background information provided in the first part of the exercise.

In second part, with multiple choice options, I hope these were selected precisely, especially to emails where I had to give arithmetical response.

In third part, I was able to write 6 paragraphs only, covering full responses with almost 800 – 1000 words. I wasn’t able to revise what I wrote and time ended.

My status has changed to “Awaiting Results”! Let see what comes in late October.

I am contented with all the answers I submitted! What you consider, if someone’s satisfaction is of worth to success?

Sincerely,
    Shahbaz Ahmad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj_macky)
    Not sure where you got this information from but I strongly doubt it's from any pack or site connected with the Civil Service Fast Stream.

Fast Stream assessments, including E-Tray will assess you against the 10 Civil Service-wide competencies which you can find online if you search for the Civil Service Competency Framework. The ones you listed are wrong and misleading. At best, some of them are part of a cluster of indicators in an actual competency. For example, you mentioned planning and organising. This is just one of the indicators for the Delivering at Pace competency.

As for the E-Tray, it is divided into two parts: inbox exercise and written exercise. You need to pass the inbox exercise to get to FSAC. The written exercise part of your E-Tray is only assessed if you reach FSAC. The written exercise part is divided into two sections, both of which will test you against a number of Civil Service competencies.

Regarding the scoring for the inbox exercise of E-Tray, I can't recall where I got this from, and can't guarantee its accuracy, but as I remember it (from somewhere), there is a maximum of two points score in each question/e-mail response.

Subject to the disclaimer above, I think that one point is awarded for choosing the most effective response correctly, and 0.5 point is given if you select the second best option as your answer for the most effective response. Marking for the least effective response works in the same way. That is, the worst course of action as the least effective response carries one point, whilst choosing the third best option as the least effective response gives you 0.5 point. Any other combination attracts zero point.

Hope that helps!
    Hi,

Maybe I am wrong! I inserted a generic statement "Any e-tray exercise should have the following elements to be considered to evaluate the overall performance"; and I believe most of Cubiks E-Tray exercises follow the same pattern including Deloitte and Fast Stream.

In fact, I am very grateful to you for the information you have inserted, which's quite helpful for the potential Fast Stream contenders. I have completed e-tray exercise and waiting for results. I am hopeful and expecting an "Immediate Success".

Shahbaz

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how knowing how these are scored affects the answers anyone would give.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GManTheGMan)
    I don't see how knowing how these are scored affects the answers anyone would give.
    It's a long application process with frequent waits and occasionally opaque processes; speculating about the minutiae of the whole thing helps people pass the time, and there are few solid facts to put a stop to idle discussion and theorising. Last year's thread was no different, nor the one before that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I found this 'til after FSAC, so I missed out on all that. I was probably a lot calmer as a result...

FSAC tip (and I'm being half serious), I'm convinced that my choice of orange and blue cat-face socks had a positive impact, if not on my performance, at least on my mood.

ReputationRep:
    Damn this is the longest wait ever

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    I guess its just us then :afraid:
    Yup, will let ya know if i hear back from them

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.