Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simplylldxo)
    It varies person to person. It depends on factors such as: income of parents or yourself if you are an independent student, location and whether you are living at home or in accommodation
    Are maintenance grant/bursary sort of the same thing? I see people getting grant/loan/bursary? In Scotland, it's either a loan with bursary or just a loan. (Depending on household income)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C-Rooney)
    Are maintenance grant/bursary sort of the same thing? I see people getting grant/loan/bursary? In Scotland, it's either a loan with bursary or just a loan. (Depending on household income)
    In England you get the Maintenance loan which is repayable and then you get the Maintenance grant which isn't. But you also get scholarships and bursaries from the university which aren't repayable and are rewards for obtaining certain grades and been below a threshold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David B)
    In England you get the Maintenance loan which is repayable and then you get the Maintenance grant which isn't. But you also get scholarships and bursaries from the university which aren't repayable and are rewards for obtaining certain grades and been below a threshold.
    Ahh, I see I see! Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance Loan: £3099
    Maintenance Grant: £0
    Bursaries: £0
    Scholarships: £0
    Savings: £5
    Money from Parents: £0
    Accommodation Cost: £0 (living at home)

Weekly spend after Accommodation: n/a

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walkers38)
    Maintenance Loan: £3099
    Maintenance Grant: £0
    Bursaries: £0
    Scholarships: £0
    Savings: £5
    Money from Parents: £0
    Accommodation Cost: £0 (living at home)

Weekly spend after Accommodation: n/a
    A fiver atleast you've got something.My savings are non-existent

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance Loan: £3610
    Maintenance Grant: none
    Bursaries: none
    Scholarships:not sure yet but will definitely be getting £300 aspire credit toward books £50 printing as a welcome package from uni of Bedfordshire. I should be entitled to the full 1100 (£350 welcome package included) as I have a total of 320 UCAS point (I believe it called a merit based scholarship) I should also be entitled to £300 academic scholarship but since I've been on gap year for d last 2years, don't think I qualify for that.

Savings: £6180 saved so far (expecting to save another £2500 by the ending of sept) I've work my ass off almost every day for the past 2years

Money from Parents: £1000 towards my laptop, printer,and all other uni gadget

Parent still owe me about £4500 which will go towards my 2nd year

Expenses in preparation for uni = almost £2000 spent already if not more (not really keeping track)

Accommodation Cost: £5600

Total income excluding whatever schlorship 6180+3610+1000+2500= £13290)
    Less Expenses: accommodation=. £ 5600
    laptop, printer, soft wares, speaker n so on= £ 1500
    All other uni essentials bought already e.g bed dings,iron etc =. £ 500
    -----------
    Money left £. 5690
    Weekly spend after Accommodation: 5690\43weeks = about £132 per week but doubt I'll be needing that much as I don't eat much or drink nor party but I do love to shop bt will try reduce dat: I could manage to survive on £350 a month (all bills included) so the rest will be saved for raining days or as emergency fund.

Will also try work part time every other weekend so will be earning about £300 PCM which will go into my isa account as I'll hate to not have any savings.

M not even gonna mourn about student finance and how they allocate money as I would rather work my ass off than complain about them basing my maintenance loan on my family income that only looks good on paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beetasty)
    Expenses in preparation for uni = almost £2000 spent already if not more (not really keeping track)

laptop, printer, soft wares, speaker n so on= £ 1500
    All other uni essentials bought already e.g bed dings,iron etc =. £ 500
    -----------
    Money left £. 5690
    Wow bro, you sure are throwing away all that money very quickly on expenses before you have even arrived at university, could have had a LOT more money otherwise.
    What course are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    How are you people spending like £2000 for prep before even going to uni? I've spent like £500 and got it all done easily.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by einnap101)
    How are you people spending like £2000 for prep before even going to uni? I've spent like £500 and got it all done easily.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Probably the likes of MBPrs for purposes a £500 laptop is just as good for, and buying unnecessary software

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Probably the likes of MBPrs for purposes a £500 laptop is just as good for, and buying unnecessary software
    Haha well tbf I bought my laptop a few months ago so didn't count that as a uni expense... 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Haha well tbf I bought my laptop a few months ago so didn't count that as a uni expense...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I assume you bought it primarily for uni? If so it is a uni expense

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    £500 damn bro even that is a lot in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance Loan: £5,000
    Maintenance Grant: £1,300
    Bursaries: £1,000
    Scholarships: £3,000
    Savings: £1,500
    Money from Parents: Ahahahahahaha

Accommodation Cost: £4,000
    Weekly spend after Accommodation: £58

Would like to think I won't have to touch those savings but who am I kidding :'D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattSimcock)

Would like to think I won't have to touch those savings but who am I kidding :'D
    Only £58? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruffiio)
    Only £58? :curious:
    Well I don't get the bursary and scholarships until February so at least at first, yeah

ReputationRep:
    I get £0 but I live in Scotland so uni is free and I'm staying at home so don't need to pay for accommodation, everything Is free besides books :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I assume you bought it primarily for uni? If so it is a uni expense
    Actually no I bought it because mine died just as I was revising for a levels, so technically i bought it for college

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruffiio)
    £500 damn bro even that is a lot in my opinion.
    Ive bought cutlery, a mattress protector and stationary and a new duvet cover.. and 2plates thats literally it.. and they were all in sale.. so i spent like 50quid in total :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattSimcock)

If you have a weekly spend of £58 then you won't have to touch your savings!
    I spend £25 a week on food and £20 on other stuff, so you should have plenty.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna have £150 a week, definitely will be putting some money aside every week though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.