OCR F581 Markets in Action - 11 May 2015 Watch

KitsonnostiK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey guys, does anybody know if there are any exemplar essays (of policies correcting market failure) that are specific to OCR?

Cheers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
KitsonnostiK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by socialgain)
A market equilibrium diagram with vertical supply.
https://ib-econ.wikispaces.com/file/...le_permits.jpg

Can someone list the L3 and L4 points for T.P?
Can you explain this diagram to me, please? Not been taught this one myself.

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
azo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Maths97Student)
How does unequal income distribution cause market failure?
You've mixed up the two sides of the course. Unequal income distribution is macro, market failure is micro.
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Yousf)
I was doing another past paper, and i have a few questions. For question 3, can i say the travel to Maldives may be expensive, as one of the determinants of demand.
Also for the other determinant i said, if there is a decrease in disposable income, this will mean less people can afford taking holidays to Maldives and thus the demand will fall indicated by a shift of the demand curve to the right. Would this point worth be 3marks?
Thanks, i really appreicate your help.
A fall in demand is indicated by a shift of the demand curve to the LEFT. Don't make this error -it can negate your whole answer.

Otherwise, you would take two marks.

(Original post by KitsonnostiK)
Can you explain this diagram to me, please? Not been taught this one myself.

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the case of TP, the supply curve is perfectly inelastic, as the number of permits given to firms is fixed. The price is determined by the demand -the higher the demand, the more expensive the permits.

If the government were to increase the permits, the supply curve would shift to the right (and vice versa).
OrionMusicNet
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by KitsonnostiK)
Hey guys, does anybody know if there are any exemplar essays (of policies correcting market failure) that are specific to OCR?

Cheers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have one at the end of my unit 1 notes:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/4ait8a...vel_Notes.docx
I made notes for unit 2 and it also has a model answer as well at the end, hopefully it helps:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/1blv5a...Finished).docx
OrionMusicNet
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Maths97Student)
How does unequal income distribution cause market failure?
I don't recall it ever causing market failure, you sure you aren't mixing it up with something else?
azo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
do we need to know about property rights system?
Gladiatorsword
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by azo)
do we need to know about property rights system?
Not at all. You've got the wrong syllabus

Posted from TSR Mobile
azo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Am I right that information provision doesn't eliminate negative externalities arising from consumption of demerit goods (eg costs to NHS) as it moves the perceived MPB ---> actual MPB, but not to the MSB...?????
keynes24
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by azo)
Am I right that information provision doesn't eliminate negative externalities arising from consumption of demerit goods (eg costs to NHS) as it moves the perceived MPB ---> actual MPB, but not to the MSB...?????
NHS or cost to the NHS is not a demerit good. Information provision can encourage the consumption of merit goods and discourage the consumption of demerit goods
Nchomuzinda
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Comment on the business relevance of cross price elasticity of demand 8 marks
2m for calculations
2marks for saying they are strong substitues
1m for saying if X price increase Y quantity demanded increases
3m for evaluation ?
-elasticities change over time
- data are just estimates therefore may not be accurate
- elasticities don't take into account other factors that influence demand
-

Posted from TSR Mobile
azo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by keynes24)
NHS or cost to the NHS is not a demerit good. Information provision can encourage the consumption of merit goods and discourage the consumption of demerit goods
I said the cost to NHS is a negative externality. Let me use the example of smoking.
People underestimate the harmful effects of smoking so the perceived MPB is above the actual MPB. Information provision will reduce consumption to where actual MPB=MPC.
But this isn't the socially optimal level of output as consuming where MPB=MSC doesn't consider external costs like those to the NHS,
keynes24
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by azo)
I said the cost to NHS is a negative externality. Let me use the example of smoking.
People underestimate the harmful effects of smoking so the perceived MPB is above the actual MPB. Information provision will reduce consumption to where actual MPB=MPC.
But this isn't the socially optimal level of output as consuming where MPB=MSC doesn't consider external costs like those to the NHS,
Health care ( or cost to the NHS )is not considered to provide any external cost. I understood what you meant, I am trying to indicate it is wrong. For OCR it is not needed to consider negative externalities from consumption but if that's the case MPB>MSB , the aim of information provision is to take the market where MSB=MSC, reference to "actual" is not as accurate as referring to social
azo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Health care ( or cost to the NHS )is not considered to provide any external cost. I understood what you meant, I am trying to indicate it is wrong. For OCR it is not needed to consider negative externalities from consumption but if that's the case MPB>MSB , the aim of information provision is to take the market where MSB=MSC, reference to "actual" is not as accurate as referring to social
I wasn't aware of this....

Would you mind going through the L2/L3/L4 points for an 18 marker on information provision. What sort of style what it take?

Thanks for your advice, been v helpful
username1297160
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do negative externalities refer to both over consumption and over production or just one? Vice versa for positive externalities.
keynes24
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by azo)
I wasn't aware of this....

Would you mind going through the L2/L3/L4 points for an 18 marker on information provision. What sort of style what it take?

Thanks for your advice, been v helpful
The layout depends on the question but the mark scheme gives you a clear indication on how to approach it.
keynes24
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lowhigh)
Do negative externalities refer to both over consumption and over production or just one? Vice versa for positive externalities.
Overconsumption/overproducing and positive externalities could lead to underconsumption/underproduction
Rubyx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Yousf)
Can saying data are estimates, liable to inaccuries and can change over time, be fine for the commnt section
Yup! I remember writing something like for for my depends on.
azo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The layout depends on the question but the mark scheme gives you a clear indication on how to approach it.
If it was: is information provision the most effective solution to market failure?
I don't think an essay has been asked on information provision before.
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lowhigh)
Both.

There are positive and negative externalities of production and consumption.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (467)
38.03%
No - but I will (95)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (87)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (579)
47.15%

Watched Threads