Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvasiveRose)
    I only met one student guide doing Computer Science and Philosophy. Don't know how to decide if it was you or not now........
    Yeah I was the only one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordNedStark)
    Oh; thats nice. Do I have to apply or will oxford inform me specifically? [Btw my comma key is not working so regard semicolons as commas.]
    You need to apply for the Reach Scholarship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordNedStark)
    Is it necessary to join an orchestra or a band to be allowed to use the music room equipment(amplifiers etc) or can an individual use them too?

Also; why did you stop?
    I can't speak for all colleges, but at John's individuals can use the music practise rooms.

Oh a whole host of reasons (not much enjoying the music; there were lots of flutes; being generally busy; my tending to rush away afterwards rather than sticking around and make friends)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiraAdler)
    Philosophy & Mod. Lang here too! I got an offer to read Philosophy & Spanish at Somerville
    Cool! There aren't many of us, so it's great to find out who else is studying our subject! The only others I'm aware of are Spirit and Teeth (Philosophy and French) and isabellissimo (Philosophy and German), although I'm sure there are others who simply don't use TSR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    I can't speak for all colleges, but at John's individuals can use the music practise rooms.

Oh a whole host of reasons (not much enjoying the music; there were lots of flutes; being generally busy; my tending to rush away afterwards rather than sticking around and make friends)
    There are so many extra-curricular things I would love to do at Oxford that I'm not sure which to pick! I'd love to join the choir/take part in student drama/be part of a chaplaincy team (if there is one ), plus it would be great to organise some charity events and be part of open days and so on. I know there'll be even more interesting things to do extra-curricular-wise which I simply don't know about yet, so I guess I'll have to be carefully selective! Meanwhile, back in A-level land, I'm doing all I can to get AAA... :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danniegee)
    Cool! There aren't many of us, so it's great to find out who else is studying our subject! The only others I'm aware of are Spirit and Teeth (Philosophy and French) and isabellissimo (Philosophy and German), although I'm sure there are others who simply don't use TSR
    Yeah it says on the Oxford website that there's an intake of around 15 of us a year?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it says on the Oxford website that there's an intake of around 15 of us a year?
    I noticed that too! It's funny though, because during interviews quite a few other applicants told me that they hadn't realised that this course existed, and that they might have considered it if they had.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadieh986)
    One very unexpected conditional for Biochemistry at Teddy Hall! ������
    ^ Awh, look who I found on the Oxford thread! So proud sades

(I've got a conditional for French and German at St Hugh's and would love to find some of the people I met at my interview..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DodoManiac)
    Yeah and the whole tutorial system...
    Hmm I wonder how many people confuse metaphor and reality when doing philosophy (including considering their own).
    Yes there's so much ^o^ and at uni we'll have to explore even more! =D I took the liberty of exploring St Hugh's library when I was there for interview and it looks awesome...did you get a chance togo into Oriel's?
    Your french must be really good! I've tried that but I need the English next to the German >.<
    If you think you can then go for it! =D do you have Stephen Siklos' booklet?
    Where abouts are you from by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    Yeah I was the only one
    Ah. You're the first person off TSR I've met in real life albeit accidentally !

ReputationRep:
    Ah. You're the first person off TSR I've met in real life albeit accidentally !
    You might have met me as well...I was at St John's at the same time as the History candidates

ReputationRep:
    You might have met me as well...I was at St John's at the same time as the History candidates
    What subject?

ReputationRep:
    What subject?
    Philosophy and French - I was the only applicant

ReputationRep:
    I think I remember you too. I was Spanish and Italian (the only one doing Italian). Well done on your offer!

ReputationRep:
    Oh- I don't think I saw you at all . The only other candidates I met were History + its joint schools, Biology, Human Sciences & Law

Grades permitting, I guess I'll get the chance to meet you in October

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexgr97)
    I think I remember you too. I was Spanish and Italian (the only one doing Italian). Well done on your offer!
    Thank-you! Do you have an offer for St John's too? (hopefully!)

ReputationRep:
    Oh- I don't think I saw you at all . The only other candidates I met were History + its joint schools, Biology, Human Sciences & Law

Grades permitting, I guess I'll get the chance to meet you in October
    Ah, that's a shame

Hopefully see you in October too!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, apparently I'm the first person that my school can remember whose ever gotten into Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    I noticed that too! It's funny though, because during interviews quite a few other applicants told me that they hadn't realised that this course existed, and that they might have considered it if they had.

That's weird! I can't imagine not knowing a course existed with the amount of time I spent on the Oxford website beforehand...

ReputationRep:
    That's weird! I can't imagine not knowing a course existed with the amount of time I spent on the Oxford website beforehand...
    Same! I think I read through the whole prospectus (including for science courses, which I definitely couldn't have applied for ) quite a few times, plus I have probably spent more time on the Oxford Admissions website since Yr 10 than it would take to actually complete the course itself

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.