Turn on thread page Beta

Feeling accepted in Britain (for ethnic minorities) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Thanks for the support,it means a lot to me and I wish you luck in all your interviews too habibti x
    Lol, I'm a habibi, but thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inglisred)
    Lol, I'm a habibi, but thanks
    I thought you were a girl otherwise I wouldn't have called you habibti:habibi

ReputationRep:
    I thought you were a girl otherwise I wouldn't have called you habibti:habibi
    S'alright

ReputationRep:
    S'alright
    Just sends out the wrong message

ReputationRep:
    Just sends out the wrong message
    Nah. Honest mistake

Where did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    Nah. Honest mistake

Where did you apply?
    King's( I'm a KCL graduate anyway),imperial,UCL and queen mary

ReputationRep:
    I am a complex person, never dull indeed
    Kids these days have it in their heads that unless they live a super exciting, glam lifestyle 24/7 they are a fail of a human being

I’m no doubt ‘dull’ in the minds of many, most of the time, and I’m ok with that

I don't want to face certain people and still say I'm still single for over a year, it's embarrassing
    Why on earth do you care what other people think about your relationship status? What business is it of theirs?

Errrr...nobody has ever doubted my dancing skills,so I'll stop you right there. Ain't nobody that can do it better than I
    Oh, you were talking about dancing? :mmm:

I'm not like these other girls, one of a kind, mister
    Made me smile

Spoiler:
    Show
    Still, no chance, I’m too stoopid

No, it's rude in general to turn people down continuously, it doesn't make you look like a respectable, nice person but more like an arrogant witch, that being said I have apologised and stood my ground, some are okay with it and others not so okay but tis life
    You have the wrong attitude, a mature, self-respecting lady never apologises for having courage in her convictions, they merely politely decline invitations from gentleman callers with good grace :girl:

There's more sources in support of interracial relationships not working than those for it
    Such as?.. so far you’ve presented 3 that don’t provide evidence either way, and 1 that provides evidence that does not substantiate your claims

as long as two people are on the same page, I see no reason why it can't last, cultural clashes aside
    This sounds a more sensible proposition, and I'll drink to that! :beer:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Kids these days have it in their heads that unless they live a super exciting, glam lifestyle 24/7 they are a fail of a human being

I’m no doubt ‘dull’ in the minds of many, most of the time, and I’m ok with that

Why on earth do you care what other people think about your relationship status? What business is it of theirs?

Oh, you were talking about dancing? :mmm:

Made me smile

Spoiler:
    Show
    Still, no chance, I’m too stoopid

You have the wrong attitude, a mature, self-respecting lady never apologises for having courage in her convictions, they merely politely decline invitations from gentleman callers with good grace :girl:

Such as?.. so far you’ve presented 3 that don’t provide evidence either way, and 1 that provides evidence that does not substantiate your claims

This sounds a more sensible proposition, and I'll drink to that! :beer:
    I've been unable to live a glam life for over a year and it's had a huge impact on me and it's changed me for sure,so antisocial right now. So this week is kind of a huge deal as its the first time in a long time I have a lot going on and I don't want to miss anything.

It's not that I care so much but rather that i'm tired. Good things don't last forever and time is always precious .People ask me where is this person you speak of and it's been over a ****ing year and it's making me feel so jaded/frustrated/disappointed in myself. I care because it's the only good thing I have right now,the possibility of turning a friendship into a relationship. I'm tired of constantly being sad and lonely and people asking where's so and so or speculating about what's happened and using that opportunity to their advantage. A person whom I have no exclusive connection with and who isn't even mine but I wish he was and that's what hurts the most,it's goes beyond a simple connection.

i don't like hurting people's feelings,I have declined all invitations presently and don't wish to take any and have told people not to bother asking(in a nice way)

I was talking about more than just dancing,way way more!

i'm sure if you find someone willing to actually teach you well and is patient,you'll find it enjoyable

I have nothing against IR relationships,I think they are beautiful. My parents were a good example of something I would want from an interracial relationship,I would like that connection they had going on,mixing and acceptance.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on who you are with and where you are.

ReputationRep:
    I've been unable to live a glam life for over a year and it's had a huge impact on me and it's changed me for sure, so antisocial right now
    Spreading TB = antisocial; resting up and recovering = sensible

i'm sure if you find someone willing to actually teach you well and is patient, you'll find it enjoyable
    Perhaps.. I do think one needs to keep an open mind when in a multicultural/racial relationship, and demonstrate a degree of ‘interculturalism’. My mother’s next door neighbours are Russian and American, they both speak both languages and so do the kids

I have nothing against IR relationships,I think they are beautiful. My parents were a good example of something I would want from an interracial relationship,I would like that connection they had going on,mixing and acceptance.
    Jolly good!

The crap British weather doesn't escape all; so yes I do feel British from time to time.

ReputationRep:
    I'm British, but the way some people act I'd rather distance myself from the human race instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Spreading TB = antisocial; resting up and recovering = sensible

Perhaps.. I do think one needs to keep an open mind when in a multicultural/racial relationship, and demonstrate a degree of ‘interculturalism’. My mother’s next door neighbours are Russian and American, they both speak both languages and so do the kids

Jolly good!
    Honestly,I'm so over what these people think of me.they obviously aren't my real friends if they think I'm just this antisocial biatch.

I certainly wouldn't be with a guy who wasn't comfortable with my culture or trying to be understanding,it's all communication and understanding!

ReputationRep:
    I would feel so depressed if I did not train in the gym and have bodybuilding as a crutch in life. Can't take the British lifestyle of drinking and eating what they do.

I am so disconnected from this British society that it is unreal, it is so ****ing robotic. The only way people feel happy in this society is when they have wished away their weekdays and are up to their eyeballs in drugs and alcohol in the weekend to forget it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    I would feel so depressed if I did not train in the gym and have bodybuilding as a crutch in life. Can't take the British lifestyle of drinking and eating what they do.

I am so disconnected from this British society that it is unreal, it is so ****ing robotic. The only way people feel happy in this society is when they have wished away their weekdays and are up to their eyeballs in drugs and alcohol in the weekend to forget it all.
    I am tired of routine in general and had to stop drinking along time ago for my own good. I felt like I was in a prison but now I have self control and although I'm still not happy,laying off the alcohol has done me more good than harm.

ReputationRep:
    I'm jewish and I'd say I feel jewish first, British second as my jewish culture is really strong as I am Orthodox so practically every action I take is defined by jewish law somehow, whereas you tend to forget about being British on a daily basis. I would also only ever date a religious jew, partly for religious reasons and also because it is such a massive part of my life that being with someone who didn't share it would be utterly impossible! However I don't feel uncomfortable living here at all and generally I think the British are really welcoming and accommodating to jewish people (a few incidents of hate are inevitable, and do not reflect British culture as a whole)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What's with this obsession of wanting to become accepted. You don't need to be accepted man. Just be civilised, treat people with respect, be productive in your life, and try to contribute to society in some way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronical)
    Also, the Coptic faith does not permit one to marry a non-Oriental Orthodox individual :P
    Interestingly, the other Oriental Orthodox churches permit marriage outside the Oriental church.

ReputationRep:
    It depends where you live and nowadays people not just the British want to place and mark people down. So they wrongly assume by asking you where your parents are from that that defines who you are how you think and what you feel.
    It used to be same if you said you were from Newcastle Upon Tyne people would probably assume you were working class and not very cultured where as if you said you were from Harrogate they would assume the opposite.
    British people are a pedantic lot they like to file you away under some category they'll even do it through accent , dress sense or demeanour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentgreen)
    It depends where you live and nowadays people not just the British want to place and mark people down. So they wrongly assume by asking you where your parents are from that that defines who you are how you think and what you feel.
    It used to be same if you said you were from Newcastle Upon Tyne people would probably assume you were working class and not very cultured where as if you said you were from Harrogate they would assume the opposite.
    British people are a pedantic lot they like to file you away under some category they'll even do it through accent , dress sense or demeanour.
    I've never understood the need for it...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.