Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amenahussein)
    That's more of a reason for me to not be Charlie, by standing with this magazine people are depending bigotry and xenophobia. How stupid is this hashtag?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Quote me in when you can explain how it is defending 'bigotry and xenophobia'.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, it's front page. On every page, have you seen the magazine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes and I am yet to see any cartoons purposefully in bigoted and/or xenophobic nature, can you enlighten me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3isenberg)
    Yes and I am yet to see any cartoons purposefully in bigoted and/or xenophobic nature, can you enlighten me?
    Insulting any religion is a very senseless and intolerant quality to have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Insulting any religion is a very senseless and intolerant quality to have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So that's a "no" then.

Unfortunately, religions are merely systems of ideas or thoughts. The reason you get to freely practise your religion is because of freedom of expression. This freedom of expression also entails being able to call out these ideas for being ridiculous.

By the way, I think a particular religion is very insulting and intolerant towards homosexuals and apostates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3isenberg)
    So that's a "no" then.

Unfortunately, religions are merely systems of ideas or thoughts. The reason you get to freely practise your religion is because of freedom of expression. This freedom of expression also entails being able to call out these ideas for being ridiculous.

By the way, I think a particular religion is very insulting and intolerant towards homosexuals and apostates.
    That's absolutely fine! I definitely am for freedom of speech!! And I think the Paris shooting was a disgusting act and an attack on democracy. But.. Let's not act stupid, it didn't happen for no reason. The magazine tormented extremists and radicals.. Which is probably not the greatest thing to do, they have every right to do it! But they knew what danger they were putting themselves into when publishing such offensive cartoons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradoxicalme)
    The monkey picture on the first page looks rather racist to me.
    Nope, it is satire

It was making fun of right wing groups that called the justice minister a monkey

ReputationRep:
    But they knew what danger they were putting themselves into when publishing such offensive cartoons.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    The 'she was asking for it' argument.

The only danger was from nut case Muslim fundamentalists. Maybe you should spend more time concentrating on them rather than the victim

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    The 'she was asking for it' argument.

The only danger was from nut case Muslim fundamentalists. Maybe you should spend more time concentrating on them rather than the victim
    I never said they were asking for it at all. Don't put words into my mouth, I am actually very sympathetic towards the cartoonists, nobody deserves that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's absolutely fine! I definitely am for freedom of speech!! And I think the Paris shooting was a disgusting act and an attack on democracy. But.. Let's not act stupid, it didn't happen for no reason. The magazine tormented extremists and radicals.. Which is probably not the greatest thing to do, they have every right to do it! But they knew what danger they were putting themselves into when publishing such offensive cartoons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This sort of logic is disgusting. The people who simply drew cartoons deserve not the tiniest bit of responsibility for what happened to them. The responsibility lies entirely on the people who walked into their offices and shot them with machine guns.

By suggesting the victims had any complicity in their murder, you implicitly denigrate free speech and absolve (at least in part) the murderers.

ReputationRep:
    Mmm not really. It has nothing to do with the IS.

They didn't like the Mohammed cartoons because it is blasphemous, so they murdered him.

No need to try to make it more complex than it actually is

How is it complicated? What part of that is complicated or are you just a bit stupid? They said they were representing Al Qaeda ffs who are at war with the west. But, the gunman had links to both IS and Al Qaeda.

I think you're guilty of an oversimplification. And what about all of the other killings that have been going on re Muslim terrorist attacks, are those all murders because they did not like a picture? It's all linked. They don't really need an excuse, they were just looking for one. Did 9/11 happen because of a cartoon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    This sort of logic is disgusting. The people who simply drew cartoons deserve not the tiniest bit of responsibility for what happened to them. The responsibility lies entirely on the people who walked into their offices and shot them with machine guns.

By suggesting the victims had any complicity in their murder, you implicitly denigrate free speech and absolve (at least in part) the murderers.
    Of-course they are not responsible for their deaths, they never shot themselves did they?

Not at all, I just said I'm sure they were aware of the danger they were putting themselves into, the danger of extremists and radicals rebelling in the way they did. Which was a terrible act. I STATE AGAIN.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drsloth)
    it might look racist to you, but in reality it is the exact opposite. It is in fact attacking racists.
    So is there an example of racism anybody? If not, then I suggest refraining from libelling these cartoonists.
    I understand the context of the picture. However, it still depicts a black woman as a monkey. There is a fine line between satirising racism and reappropriating it and I can still see black people being offended by that picture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    How is it complicated? What part of that is complicated or are you just a bit stupid? They said they were representing Al Qaeda ffs who are at war with the west. But, the gunman had links to both IS and Al Qaeda.

I think you're guilty of an oversimplification. And what about all of the other killings that have been going on re Muslim terrorist attacks, are those all murders because they did not like a picture? It's all linked. They donj't really need an excuse, they were just looking for one. Did 9/11 happen because of a cartoon?
    Not really. They killed those people because of a cartoon.

Whether Al Qaeda was at war with the West or Not, something would have happened.

It was exactly the Same with Rusdie.

The only reason why you made this silly argument up was because you were called out on your victim blaming

ReputationRep:
    I never said they were asking for it at all. Don't put words into my mouth, I am actually very sympathetic towards the cartoonists, nobody deserves that.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pretty much. They were putting themselves in danger and etc. It only sounds ridiculous because you wouldn't say that about a rape victim.

You are nit that sympathetic considering you were calling them racist, which is completely false

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much. They were putting themselves in danger and etc.

You are nit that sympathetic considering you were calling them racist, which is completely false
    They knew they were in danger? They got death threats on a regular basis. Come on! And of-course I am, they did not deserve that at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you are depending Charlie, or doing this whole trend about 'I'm Charlie', you are basically depending antisemitism, racism, Islamophoba, bigotry and xenophobia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So if you're not defending Charlie, does that mean you support shooting up people when they get offended by a cartoon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evening)
    So if you're not defending Charlie, does that mean you support shooting up people when they get offended by a cartoon?
    Nope! Absolutely not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's more of a reason for me to not be Charlie, by standing with this magazine people are depending bigotry and xenophobia. How stupid is this hashtag?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Where's the xenophobia and bigotry? I can't see any..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iggy Azalea)
    Let's all get one thing straight here:

Charlie Hebdo was a lesser evil than Islam and the Muslim population.
    It was just a minority group. The majority of Muslims and Islamic people don't encourage this behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wellholathere)
    The Paris attacks have again added to the islamaphobia in the world. On behalf of real Muslims; We are not Charlie and we are not the terrorists who did the shootings, that is all.
    This. ✌️

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.