The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LoveToArgue
I just got a 'we've received you application' email and my heart skipped a beat as I thought it was an offer/rejection initially :':wink:

Same!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Yeah, I think they just sent out an en-masse email to everyone who's applied so far to confirm, let us know in January when the offers come rolling in guys xD
4 A's 7 B's and a C at GCSE. ABB at AS, hoping for History, Fancy myself to get A*AA this year.
Reply 423
Original post by skhuller
mine came today, about a week after I sent my UCAS application in

Yeh just got mine as well, they must've sent them all off at once :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
has anyone got offers from durham/ any other universities they've applied to yet??
Reply 425
Original post by AaronLee
I did a summer school at Durham, I'm a swimmer so it was a question which I asked. The university does not have any pools, however the town does have a pool and the University have secured lane times throughout the week. Hope this has been helpful.

Thank you so much, that was very helpful indeed ^^.
So how long does it take me to get there? Is it close to uni? & how much do you pay per month?
I got my application confirmation email for Law today! It's comforting to know that everything is working as it should be
Loads of queries on this thread about which colleges receive the most applications! I looked it up for my own interest in the official Durham Uni admissions stats, and thought I'd summarise a few figures below for anyone else who might be interested.

The figures are for the 2013/14 admissions cycle (ie for entry in 2014/15, including deferred entry applications). The FIRST figure is the number of applicants who put that college down as their preference when they applied, the SECOND is the number that actually ended up in that college.

College of St Hild & St Bede: 838 / 315
Collingwood College: 1,760 / 405
George Stephenson College: 961 / 436
Grey College: 829 / 300
Hatfield College: 1,242 / 290
John Snow College: 863 / 355
Josephine Butler College: 2,000 / 259
St Aidan's College: 336 / 262
St Chad's College: 1,212 / 122
St Cuthbert's Society: 1,012 / 334
St John's College: 593 / 147
St Mary's College: 1,503 / 228
Trevelyan College: 470 / 207
University College: 3,638 / 212
Van Mildert College: 617 / 347

Remember the figures are just a very rough guide to the relative popularity of each college, NOT an indication of what percentage of applicants overall get an offer from Durham, so don't be disheartened! That figure for 2013/14 was 26,030 applications and 16,702 offers made.

And as others have said, don't forget you're actually applying to the university rather than the college per se - so if you put down Castle (University College) as your preference and the university wants you, but they don't have room for you in Castle, you'll still get an offer from another college. In other words there's no harm in putting down the college preference you'd like most!

If you want to drill down into the applications/admissions data you can go to

https://www.dur.ac.uk/ug.admissions/admindocuments/admissions2013-14/
Got my confirmation email finally! I applied on the 6th...

It says:
"The admissions selectors will consider all applications as quickly as possible but in the interests of fairness, many decisions will need to wait until we have received all applications which were submitted by the UCAS deadline of 15 January. We do aim to make all decisions on on-time applications by the end of March."

Gonna be a long wait :frown:
I am currently studying economics at oxford as a first year but I did apply to durham and got an offer so if you need any help, I am glad to give some. Just send me a PM if you would like
has anyone got offers from durham/ any other universities they've applied to yet??

Warwick and bristol! But I want one from durham :'(
Original post by tabbyboyd
Loads of queries on this thread about which colleges receive the most applications! I looked it up for my own interest in the official Durham Uni admissions stats, and thought I'd summarise a few figures below for anyone else who might be interested.

The figures are for the 2013/14 admissions cycle (ie for entry in 2014/15, including deferred entry applications). The FIRST figure is the number of applicants who put that college down as their preference when they applied, the SECOND is the number that actually ended up in that college.

College of St Hild & St Bede: 838 / 315
Collingwood College: 1,760 / 405
George Stephenson College: 961 / 436
Grey College: 829 / 300
Hatfield College: 1,242 / 290
John Snow College: 863 / 355
Josephine Butler College: 2,000 / 259
St Aidan's College: 336 / 262
St Chad's College: 1,212 / 122
St Cuthbert's Society: 1,012 / 334
St John's College: 593 / 147
St Mary's College: 1,503 / 228
Trevelyan College: 470 / 207
University College: 3,638 / 212
Van Mildert College: 617 / 347

Remember the figures are just a very rough guide to the relative popularity of each college, NOT an indication of what percentage of applicants overall get an offer from Durham, so don't be disheartened! That figure for 2013/14 was 26,030 applications and 16,702 offers made.

And as others have said, don't forget you're actually applying to the university rather than the college per se - so if you put down Castle (University College) as your preference and the university wants you, but they don't have room for you in Castle, you'll still get an offer from another college. In other words there's no harm in putting down the college preference you'd like most!

If you want to drill down into the applications/admissions data you can go to

https://www.dur.ac.uk/ug.admissions/admindocuments/admissions2013-14/

Lol.. I applied for St Aidan's, guess I'm in the minority! (I hope it isn't bad D: )
Original post by Spoderman14
Any Chemists in here? :smile:

yep doing chem (industrial)

Yep! I've got an offer from Durham for Psychology on Wednesday! I wanted to get into Hatfield, but was put down for random allocation for Feb! What did you apply? x
Original post by jaseho98
Yep! I've got an offer from Durham for Psychology on Wednesday! I wanted to get into Hatfield, but was put down for random allocation for Feb! What did you apply? x

Ermegerd well done! What grades did you get if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by cakeislife
Ermegerd well done! What grades did you get if you don't mind me asking?

A*ABBBC at AS, I didn't expect it so quickly tbh!

Do you mind me asking how on earth you managed to do 6 AS subjects?

A* at AS? What subject possibly does that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spoderman14
Do you mind me asking how on earth you managed to do 6 AS subjects?

Possibly counting General Studies and Critical Thinking? Hmm...

I think I'd burn out with the stress of 6 :lol:
Original post by elen90
Possibly counting General Studies and Critical Thinking? Hmm...

I think I'd burn out with the stress of 6 :lol:

Should have clarified! Sorry!

A* for EPQ
A for Psychology
B for French
B for Biology
B for Maths
C for Chemistry

Lesson here is to just focus on 4, I really regret doing 5 tbh, but the school made me carry on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending