Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicoleemmak)
    So for the education question if you look every other year so far they have alternated it from sociological views on the role of education to reasons for underachievement of a certain group, last year is was a sociological view one, i think it was functionalists, so i think that it will be something like reasons for ethnic differences in achievement or gender ext
    so for that would you do internal and external factors?? what else??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unpreppedstudent)
    so for that would you do internal and external factors?? what else??
    Yeah so if it asks something like, asses the contribution of internal factors to differences in ethnic achievement, you would do a quick intro about what ethnic groups do best and worst, then the rest of the answer should be internal vs external. So for internal you would mention, teacher labelling and racism, institutional racism, pupil responses and subcultures and selection- maybe mention a-c economy. Then do external so cultural deprivation, material deprivation and racism in wider society. But remember to focus more on the one it asks for so internal or external.

ReputationRep:
    Marxist/functionalist views and ethnicity I think 😄

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any tips on how to structure the 20 markers on the RM section... We've done very little class work on research methods so I'm panicking. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah so if it asks something like, asses the contribution of internal factors to differences in ethnic achievement, you would do a quick intro about what ethnic groups do best and worst, then the rest of the answer should be internal vs external. So for internal you would mention, teacher labelling and racism, institutional racism, pupil responses and subcultures and selection- maybe mention a-c economy. Then do external so cultural deprivation, material deprivation and racism in wider society. But remember to focus more on the one it asks for so internal or external.
    youarefreakingamazingthanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.SMART)
    I'm fine on the practical, ethical and theoretical issues for research methods but I'm having some real difficulty finding appropriate education-based studies for each research method for the MiC part, does anyone know where I can find a concise list/a few examples? PLEASE HELP, this is really worrying me right now.
    If you have the orange and white aqa text book there are little blue boxes with the studies in on random pages, so just flick through

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BOWE)
    I'm trying to do the same right now, let me know what you find. i have just made a quick mindmap and so far have :

EXPERIMENTS: Rosenthal and Jacobson- Pygmalion in the classroom (labelling and self fulfilling prophesy study)

QUESTIONNAIRES: Rutter- finding link between achievement, attendance and behavior

INTERVIEWS: Willis- learning to labour (12 lads from school to workplace) group interviews, combined with participant observation method

PARTICIPANT OBSERVATION: Flanders- created the 'Flanders system of interaction analysis categories'- a structured method to find out how much time was taken up in class by different actions e.g teach talk 68% class time. &&& King : tried to blend into the classroom and hide in the wendyhouse to avoid hawthorne effect.

OFFICIAL STATISTICS: I don't really know this one, but know that LEAs, OFSTED and Department for Children Schools and Families all use and produce them.

DOCUMENTS: Gewirtz- brochures assessed to study marketisation , Gillborn- racism research-studied school policy and meeting minutes. Lobban- content analysis of gender roles in reading schemes.

Hope this helps Let me know if anyone finds one for statistics
    Would I be able to use those for the research methods questions as well as for MiC or would it be advisable to have different studies prepared for both?

ReputationRep:
    I think it could be Marxism because I don't know if there is enough to write about on new right

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what functions are performed by the education system?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frsryonce)
    Does anyone have any tips on how to structure the 20 markers on the RM section... We've done very little class work on research methods so I'm panicking. :confused:
    do 6 paragraphs
    1 Practical strengths and weaknesses
    2 Ethical
    3 How reliable it is
    4 How valid
    5 how representative
    6 Theoretical perspectives
    and include examples throughout/ where you can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.SMART)
    Would I be able to use those for the research methods questions as well as for MiC or would it be advisable to have different studies prepared for both?
    should be fine with the same ones but i doubt the same will come up twice so if you learn those you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    do 6 paragraphs
    2 Ethical
    3 How reliable it is
    4 How valid
    5 how representative
    thank you!!!!

ReputationRep:
    do 6 paragraphs
    2 Ethical
    3 How reliable it is
    4 How valid
    5 how representative
    We use P.E.R.V.E.R.T for research method essays:

-Practical Issues - Time, Cost, Access etc
    - Ethical Issues - Informed Consent, are children involved etc..
    - Reliability
    - Validity
    - Example - not too sure on this one, i think you make up a situation where the method would be good?
    - Representativeness
    - Theoretical Issues - Positivist/Interpretivist view

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd share this
    8 POINT PLAN FOR QUESTION 9
    1 BRIEFLY EXPLAIN WHAT THE METHOD IS
    2 PRACTICAL +VES/-VES
    3 ETHICAL +VES/-VES
    4 THEORETICAL PERSPECTIVES-INTERPRETIVIST/+ISTS
    5 A STUDY THAT HAS USED THE METHOD, FINDINGS AND WHY IT WAS USEFUL
    6 KIND OF THING YOU CAN RESEARCH WITH THIS METHOD
    7 A FEW DISADVANTAGES THEN SAY THIS IS WHY THIS THEORY DISLIKES THE METHOD (+ists/interpretivists)
    8 CONC. - LINK BACK TO WORDING IN THE QUESTION

ReputationRep:
    predictions for research methods?!

ReputationRep:
    So what are everyone's general predictions for tomorrow for education and research?
    I'm thinking policies/processes within school, maybe Marxism for 12 marker?
    Dunno about research, postal questionnaires haven't been up a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CeallachM)
    Does anyone know what functions are performed by the education system?
    Funcationalists, such as parsons see it as a bridge between the family and society
    New right see it as the same but they think that the current system isn't working they want to marketise it and Marxists such as Althusser see it as a way of producing good workers for the capitalist system and for legitimising inequality

ReputationRep:
    How do you answer 12 mark questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LEC1)
    So what are everyone's general predictions for tomorrow for education and research?
    I'm thinking policies/processes within school, maybe Marxism for 12 marker?
    Dunno about research, postal questionnaires haven't been up a lot.
    What sort of thing would it ask about Marxism? Would it be what they see the role of education as? ( Ideological state apparatus, correspondence principle , myth of meritocracy etc? )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oreoprincess)
    How do you answer 12 mark questions?
    3 paragraphs, just basically answer the questions, don't write more than a page, you will end up running out of time

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 23, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.