Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calcumm)
    Yes. 90% is 81.

What makes you believe 46 A*?
    Well I think it's fair that A* at 46. I would say cap is 52. Mathematical papers suit maths students. There are also papers that go against maths students (wordy crap), so this evens out. I found the paper very straight forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny.L)
    Different people have different goals and standards..
    I respect that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to remember what questions were what so I can estimate how many marks I may have lost.

Questions:
    1 - bouncing ball
    2 - fireman's hose?
    3 - spring system with that graph?
    4 - ?
    5 - the binary stars?
    6 - ?
    7 - weather balloon

ReputationRep:
    Here's what the paper didn't test us on. Just so you lot can see how many hours of your life you wasted

Pretty much all of the definitions. (Keplars and N1L is all I can remember?)
    Angular velocity, frequency or displacement.
    Every experiment.
    How to draw field lines.
    Half the equations you spent all those lessons doing questions on.
    How g changes from equator to poles
    Geostationary orbits
    Anything at all you ever learned about satellites
    Difference between free and forced harmonic motion
    I don't remember any question about how GPE, KE, a, v and s change during SHM?
    Anything about natural frequency
    THE WHOLE DAMPING AND RESONANCE SECTION GO **** YOURSELF OCR (Was writing these out and realised the whole topic was ignored, included about 30 lines ish)
    Kinetic models
    Ideal gas assumptions
    How a gas exerts pressure on container walls
    How temp changes pressure in a container
    More experiments definitions and equations you wasted all them hours on
    Observations from all those experiments, plus the uncertainties.
    Changes of state in terms of energy
    Heating curves
    Internal energy being changed by work being done
    Evaporation
    Boiling
    Thermal equilibrium
    Absolute zero
    All the laws about a fixed mass of gas in terms of pressure temp and vol
    Avagradro's law
    Different types of KE
    Finding mean speeds/ KE of molecules
    Was there really anything on circular motion? Gravitational fields don't really count since it only requires remembering a couple equations.
    The whole concept of equilibrium
    Specific latent heat
    Latent heat of fusion/ vaporisation
    How molecules in solids liquids and gases change.
    The whole concept of air resistance
    Did anyone use the word "uniform"? Comes up about a million times in my notes ngl.
    Conservation of momentum (remember that, yeah me neither, apparently we don't need that concept)

This took me about 5 mins so I'm sure I've got duplicated, missed out some or made some mistakes. But enjoy staring at a visual representation of the hours wasted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calcumm)
    Yes. 90% is 81.

What makes you believe 46 A*?
    Too many tricks. Nothing I had prepared for came up, I'm just lucky I'm a very mathematical student. Feel so bad for those whose strong point is not maths. Especially those who actually revised the spec.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justthatboy)
    Yh basically point c is the common centre of mass. so all the weight appears to act from there, hence why the planets orbit around that point. So consider at point C there is a large star of mass ( m1+m2) and then you use keplars law and centripetal force to work out m2(s2)
    so C=m1+m2? how do u calculate mass without using kepler's third law

ReputationRep:
    Grade boundaries wise I'd think, considering it was (relatively) easy, not like the horror of the 2014 and 2015 papers,

A* - 50
    A - 46
    B - 42
    ..and so on...

ReputationRep:
    do you think as internal energy increases temperature increases and e = 1/5kt is enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speed1✈️✈️)
    Grade boundaries wise I'd think, considering it was (relatively) easy, not like the horror of the 2014 and 2015 papers,

A* - 50
    A - 46
    B - 42
    ..and so on...
    It was easy for those good at maths, hard for those who revised the spec in tons of detail. I expect large gaps between grades. I'd be surprised if an A* was that high, that's insane.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so mad we didn't get any nice 3/4/5 markers on thermal physics. Or kinetic theory assumptions. Or nice definitions like Boyle's law. It was an odd paper. I think it won't be as low as June 14 (39 for an A) but I also don't see it being much higher than last year. Last years paper was actually much nicer than this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    It was easy for those good at maths, hard for those who revised the spec in tons of detail. I expect large gaps between grades. I'd be surprised if an A* was that high, that's insane.
    I hope you're right but OCR can never be that generous!

ReputationRep:
    anyone got a rough idea of questions with marks?

ReputationRep:
    So desperately waiting for TeacherCol's unofficial mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    If I don't get an A* in physics imma shoot someone. I have 35 pages on G484 notes that I have learned word for word. Nothing in there not in my memory for todays exam. Ask me any past exam question and I'll get all the marks. As me any written question I'll get all the marks.

But give me a paper full of mathematical questions and lots of hidden tricks. I'll murder your family.

ReputationRep:
    If I don't get an A* in physics imma shoot someone. I have 35 pages on G484 notes that I have learned word for word. Nothing in there not in my memory for todays exam. Ask me any past exam question and I'll get all the marks. As me any written question I'll get all the marks.

But give me a paper full of mathematical questions and lots of hidden tricks. I'll murder your family.
    The A* is there for a reason! It's not awarded to just anyone, even if you did work as hard as you possibly could!

ReputationRep:
    So desperately waiting for TeacherCol's unofficial mark scheme
    He does them for all exams so may take a while. Plus his G484 one last year came at 15:45 (yeah I just checked loool) so go and get some other revising done and come back xD

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get any sleep last night due to constant exam worry so I've performed poorly on this paper.

I've lost 1 mark per question atleast.

How many marks would lose if I used the correct method for mass of the star but a wrong value. I'm thinking around 1/2 right?

ReputationRep:
    The A* is there for a reason! It's not awarded to just anyone, even if you did work as hard as you possibly could!
    Yeah but let's be honest hard work should be rewarded. Not the off chance you're good at maths xD

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but let's be honest hard work should be rewarded. Not the off chance you're good at maths xD
    I'd focus on G485 for now (unless you have C3 tomorrow), that's where the bulk of the marks are (150 ums), so if you do well in that you might get that A*!

ReputationRep:
    I'd focus on G485 for now (unless you have C3 tomorrow), that's where the bulk of the marks are (150 ums), so if you do well in that you might get that A*!
    Yeah last year I did much better in G482 than G481 because it was a case of learn these notes and you'll get at least 95%. G481 and G484 seem more like wildcards.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 23, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.