Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flower101)
    Well done! Wow! How did you work smart? Please any advice would be appreciated. I'm planning to take the exam this Sept for 2017 entry.
    Hey, Thank you! I'm starting to feel like "work smart" has caused a lot of controversy lol. What I meant was I basically adjusted my revision technique to suit my learning style, and instead of overwhelming myself with resources (as i did on my first attempt), I merely focused more on sections I felt I could easily improve.

I completely neglected S1 because I knew i'd inadvertently prepare for it in my S2 revision. For S2, instead of focusing on newspaper articles and current affairs I literally read the majority of AC Grayling's books; his essays are a great example of how to write if you hope to score comfortably well in S2. Also, a few of his books carry a lot of socio-economical/ socio-cultural context so if you ever need any examples to refer to in your essays I would recommend getting them (I'll leave a list at the bottom). In terms of actual prep, i think i wrote about 3-4 essays a week, for the 2 months leading up to the exam, and I basically used Grayling's writing style as a guideline to how I wanted my work to come across to the examiner. In his books he covers a range of topics and In both my GAMSAT attempts the essay prompts have been on topics that I fortunately read about in some of his work - in fact I was so lucky this time as I'd read an essay in the morning on a topic that came up in the exam.

For S3 I pretty much ditched the paper work (no A level text books or written revision material) and focused more on Khan Academy videos. I'm mostly an audio-visual learner so the videos were perfect (If anything, for some topics they went into more detail than necessary). The Organic Chem section on Khan academy is quite good, and so is the Humanities section under MCAT prep if you're getting bored of reading/writing essays.

For S3 Physics, I didn't spend too much time learning the theory but focused more on rearranging formaluae. Usually I'd get quite intimidated by the physics questions, but second time round I found myself making confident/intelligent guesses by simply playing around with the formulae provided. I also tutor maths and have done it at A level so this was something I picked up quite quickly.

Ultimately, I think its more about finding what works for you tbh. Just because what i've said above worked for me, doesn't necessarily mean it'll work wonders for someone else. The one thing I can say though is to try and limit your resources; find something that works for you and stick to it! On my first attempt i felt like having all the test papers, all the books, CDs, etc would guarantee me a great score, but in the end I just felt overwhelmed and didn't even manage to get through all my resources. Also, leave about a comfortable 4-3 weeks for exam practice, the exam is just as much about endurance as it is about knowledge - if your mental stamina is not great, you'll find it difficult to concentrate half way through S3.

AC Grayling books I used:
    The meaning of things (most students get this one)
    The heart of Things (Favorite one)
    The form of things
    The mystery of things (Really good historical anecdotes)
    The Form of things
    What is good? The search for the best way to life (great essays on moral and ethical topics)

Hope all the waffle helps! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nomad_22)
    Hey, Thank you! I'm starting to feel like "work smart" has caused a lot of controversy lol. What I meant was I basically adjusted my revision technique to suit my learning style, and instead of overwhelming myself with resources (as i did on my first attempt), I merely focused more on sections I felt I could easily improve.

I completely neglected S1 because I knew i'd inadvertently prepare for it in my S2 revision. For S2, instead of focusing on newspaper articles and current affairs I literally read the majority of AC Grayling's books; his essays are a great example of how to write if you hope to score comfortably well in S2. Also, a few of his books carry a lot of socio-economical/ socio-cultural context so if you ever need any examples to refer to in your essays I would recommend getting them (I'll leave a list at the bottom). In terms of actual prep, i think i wrote about 3-4 essays a week, for the 2 months leading up to the exam, and I basically used Grayling's writing style as a guideline to how I wanted my work to come across to the examiner. In his books he covers a range of topics and In both my GAMSAT attempts the essay prompts have been on topics that I fortunately read about in some of his work - in fact I was so lucky this time as I'd read an essay in the morning on a topic that came up in the exam.

For S3 I pretty much ditched the paper work (no A level text books or written revision material) and focused more on Khan Academy videos. I'm mostly an audio-visual learner so the videos were perfect (If anything, for some topics they went into more detail than necessary). The Organic Chem section on Khan academy is quite good, and so is the Humanities section under MCAT prep if you're getting bored of reading/writing essays.

For S3 Physics, I didn't spend too much time learning the theory but focused more on rearranging formaluae. Usually I'd get quite intimidated by the physics questions, but second time round I found myself making confident/intelligent guesses by simply playing around with the formulae provided. I also tutor maths and have done it at A level so this was something I picked up quite quickly.

Ultimately, I think its more about finding what works for you tbh. Just because what i've said above worked for me, doesn't necessarily mean it'll work wonders for someone else. The one thing I can say though is to try and limit your resources; find something that works for you and stick to it! On my first attempt i felt like having all the test papers, all the books, CDs, etc would guarantee me a great score, but in the end I just felt overwhelmed and didn't even manage to get through all my resources. Also, leave about a comfortable 4-3 weeks for exam practice, the exam is just as much about endurance as it is about knowledge - if your mental stamina is not great, you'll find it difficult to concentrate half way through S3.

The form of things
    The Form of things
    What is good? The search for the best way to life (great essays on moral and ethical topics)

Thanks this is very helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

The form of things
    The Form of things

Thank you so much immensely helpful! Very valuable advice. Thank you for giving your time!

God bless!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flower101)
    Thank you so much immensely helpful! Very valuable advice. Thank you for giving your time!

God bless!
    No worries at all! I had a lot of help from many different people when I was starting off, so I'm always glad to return the favor.

Best of luck! (It's definitely worth the sleepless nights lol)

ReputationRep:

The form of things
    The Form of things

Thank you! That was really helpful. I was looking to keep buying practice stuff but I realise that more than anything it demotivated me!

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Does anyone know that if people actually do get in with 2:2 and gamsat score between 65-70?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tough2)
    Hi
    Does anyone know that if people actually do get in with 2:2 and gamsat score between 65-70?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marathi)
    Yes.
    Thanks for reply! But do you know anyone who actually got in? Cuz I got 2:2 and 67 and 2yr as a HCA and I'm wondering if I should take gamsat again or apply with what I have got?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for reply! But do you know anyone who actually got in? Cuz I got 2:2 and 67 and 2yr as a HCA and I'm wondering if I should take gamsat again or apply with what I have got?
    I don't know anyone personally, although I've seen some people on here get in with a 2.2 but I'm not sure exactly what their scores were.

67 is a fantastic score and I absolutely would apply with it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anyone personally, although I've seen some people on here get in with a 2.2 but I'm not sure exactly what their scores were.

67 is a fantastic score and I absolutely would apply with it.
    Thanks, it is so helpful to know that there are ppl with 2:2 getting in without a masters to go with! What uni are u in?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, it is so helpful to know that there are ppl with 2:2 getting in without a masters to go with! What uni are u in?
    I am not yet, however, I am a 2.2 holder who is currently doing a masters as I've struggled to score over 60 in three sittings of the GAMSAT.

ReputationRep:
    I am not yet, however, I am a 2.2 holder who is currently doing a masters as I've struggled to score over 60 in three sittings of the GAMSAT.
    Thanks for the info I too tried to do masters but I didn't have enough time to focus on it and had some other issues, so I just focused on gamsat. Good luck with your masters!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sb213)
    Sorry if this has already been asked - I can't seem to find a definitive answer!

I've taken the Irish Gamsat, and got an on-the-cusp score (64, but I have a 2.ii so based on the last 2 years, I don't want to chance it!), if I were to take the UK exam in September would I submit both scores, or would I have to disregard my March result in the hopes of getting a higher score in September?

Thanks!
    Hi,
    I am in exactly the same position! Got a 64 average with a 2:2 classification in my undergraduate. Are you definitely sitting it again in September? Having looked at the percentile ranking curves for March 16 and September 15 it seems like the scores are higher ranking this year, but then I guess it depends so much on this Septembers results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebaggedkoala)
    Hello everyone, I've just created an account and subscribed to this thread. It looks like some of you sat the exam in March and are getting results through now - congratulations to all who got through it! I hope you're satisfied with your results, or at least found it to be a useful experience.

I'm an arts graduate but I have an MSc in psychology. I'm planning on having my first go in London this September.

I'm trawling through the gold standard textbook at the moment, and it is HARD. I've been stuck on the maths chapter for longer than I'd like to admit (clue: for months).

Where are those of you without hard science backgrounds starting? I have some a level maths books, which seem to explain things much better than the gold standard book. I just want to skip to the biology sections without getting through all this maths and physics!
    Hi
    How do you find the other section given that you have degree in psychology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n.close21)
    Hi,
    I am in exactly the same position! Got a 64 average with a 2:2 classification in my undergraduate. Are you definitely sitting it again in September? Having looked at the percentile ranking curves for March 16 and September 15 it seems like the scores are higher ranking this year, but then I guess it depends so much on this Septembers results.
    Hi
    I just saw this thread and me too taking test this September and going through panic mood for now, i were wondering if there are people who may form a study group, would you be interested?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n.close21)
    Hi,
    Exactly - I mean, the UK cut offs did go down from 61(66) to 60(65) over the last 2 years, but who knows if the trend will follow this year, or if it'll go back up! I think I am going to take it again in September, as now SGUL have stopped accepting 2.ii, Nottingham is the only place I can apply to (and tbh, they'll probably stop taking 2.ii in the near future - so realistically, this could be the last chance.)

Will you? I understand (from answers on this thread, and via communication with SGUL and Notts) that you can submit both March and Sept scores to UCAS and ask them to take the higher one, so not much to be lost (apart from £250 and any chance of enjoying the summer :laugh:)

ReputationRep:
    I'm up for a study group in London if anyone else is interested

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm about to take the GAMSAT in September and beginning to freak out a little.. I have a Bsc in Psych and taking an Mres in September but wondering whether anyone has any top tips for the GAMSAT for someone with less of a science background ? Any help is massively appreciated ! ☺️☺️

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I'm really concerned now that St. Georges have stopped people applying with a 2:2 grade. I was wondering where can you apply to now ?NottinghamExeterPlymouthIs this the only universities that you can now apply to ?

kind regards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parmar263)
    Hi guys I'm really concerned now that St. Georges have stopped people applying with a 2:2 grade. I was wondering where can you apply to now ?NottinghamExeterPlymouthIs this the only universities that you can now apply to ?

kind regards.
    Yep. Notts may yet change its mind too.

If your determined on medicine I'd really consider applying for a Masters as a backup, you may even be able to get onto one that starts in September as they leave application open until really late in comparison to undergrad programmes.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 27, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.