Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ask the TSR Government - 22nd Parliament watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    To be fair that kind of was giving him a break.
    However one was intentional and the other wasn't (unless it's been Labour's overall strategy all along to give the Tories a free ride to 2020)

ReputationRep:
    Does the government agree that with the current tension around the globe and the unpredictable activities around the world of certain state and non state actors, it is wise to back the renewal of Trident?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by AlwaysWatching)
    Does the government agree that with the current tension around the globe and the unpredictable activities around the world of certain state and non state actors, it is wise to back the renewal of Trident?
    I can answer on their behalf. They will say no on the basis that they don't believe trident helps with terrorism, they believe it actually makes the world more dangerous and tense, and they're paranoid of trident being stolen by terrorists.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I can answer on their behalf. They will say no on the basis that they don't believe trident helps with terrorism, they believe it actually makes the world more dangerous and tense, and they're paranoid of trident being stolen by terrorists.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Would the government agree with my party then that a fully funded and well resourced armed forces would mitigate these threats. For example, if they are paranoid about terrorist stealing trident, perhaps they would agree that we need to invest more in our security - such as the submarine bases, to ensure both the weapons safety and our national integrity.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Would the government agree with my party then that a fully funded and well resourced armed forces would mitigate these threats. For example, if they are paranoid about terrorist stealing trident, perhaps they would agree that we need to invest more in our security - such as the submarine basis, to ensure both the weapons safety and our national integrity.
    They also seem to think that we already overspend and are already over manned, so it seems not.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Would the government agree with my party then that a fully funded and well resourced armed forces would mitigate these threats. For example, if they are paranoid about terrorist stealing trident, perhaps they would agree that we need to invest more in our security - such as the submarine basis, to ensure both the weapons safety and our national integrity.
    I don't think that someone maybe stealing trident is an actual issue or worry. Cyber defences, counter terrorism and kicking ISIS up the jacksie are the priorities at the moment.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    I don't think that someone maybe stealing trident is an actual issue or worry. Cyber defences, counter terrorism and kicking ISIS up the jacksie are the priorities at the moment.

So not a threat that I believe it was only last year somebody was court martialed, dishonourably discharged, and imprisoned for quite some time for demonstrating just how poor the security is.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So not a threat that I believe it was only last year somebody was court martialed, dishonourably discharged, and imprisoned for quite some time for demonstrating just how poor the security is.
    Well justice has been done if he's been put away, so what's your problem?

ReputationRep:
    They also seem to think that we already overspend and are already over manned, so it seems not.
    Then they are wrong and have no idea of the true environment our current servicemen and women work in.

So you would agree that we need to increase defence funding to combat these threats. The intelligence services nee more funding, and the RAF needs more combat planes and drones for airstrikes to help out Iraqi and Kurdish allies.

What is the argument against Trident, if they don't actually believe Trident will be stolen and/ or used by the enemy?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Wait, you mean you think that if somebody intentionally does it to demonstrate the issue which is not acted upon the issue goes away if you lock them up? The whole point of them doing it was to show the security flaws. Do you think that when somebody steals some spent fuel rods if they are caught and punished no more spent fuel rods will be stolen? There are massive flaws in global nuclear security, both civilian and military.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Then they are wrong and have no idea of the true environment our current servicemen and women work in.

So you would agree that we need to increase defence funding to combat these threats.

What is the argument against Trident, if they don't actually believe Trident will be stolen and/ or used by the enemy?
    If you take a look at the "budget" there is a nominal cut in defence spending of £600m including the effective scrapping of trident.

ReputationRep:
    If you take a look at the "budget" there is a nominal cut in defence spending of £600m including the effective scrapping of trident.
    Absolute lunacy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So you would agree that we need to increase defence funding to combat these threats. The intelligence services nee more funding, and the RAF needs more combat planes and drones for airstrikes to help out Iraqi and Kurdish allies.

Well the House decided to be a bit bipolar in that they voted against full renewal and full disarmament, it was the liberal's fault if you check the votes.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll...do=showresults
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll...do=showresults
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Absolute lunacy.
    It's a descaling. There's not any other option considering the house was bipolar
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's a descaling. There's not any other option considering the house was bipolar
    What about maintaining as is? Pretty sure that wasn't voted down.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I showed the link, full renewal was voted down.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Yeah it was, the house voted against renewing. Unless you mean running it until the wepons are useless anymore.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I showed the link, full renewal was voted down.
    (Original post by Aph)
    Yeah it was, the house voted against renewing. Unless you mean running it until the wepons are useless anymore.
    You do realise that vanguard isn't being retired for over a decade, right?

ReputationRep:
    Jammy's point is that trident is pretty poorly defended by conventional forces, with the naval bases understaffed and the subs themselves I think didn't have much protection, it would, in theory, be possible for a group of trained assailants to take one of the subs. That's what I remember reading at the very least, that and the general conditions aboard trident being poor and dangerous.

Personally I would like to see this persons sentence reduced if not terminated and his dishonourable discharge struck from the record books, and to actually praise him for bringing to light the deep flaws in our nuclear program, and highlighting how, if we choose to keep trident, we need to step up the security of the bases and the subs themselves, and that we need to drastically improve the conditions on the submarines to make them safer.

ReputationRep:
    What demonstrable influence have the Liberals exerted on government policy?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.