Turn on thread page Beta

"Shootings" reported in central Paris. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Agreed, but it's a fine line between shutting down extremist teachers in a country to make the country safer; to making a religious section of society feel marginalised and distrusted (which could actually encourage a more hateful dynamic)
    They have to be shut down TBH letting them continue is going to lead to attacks sooner or later

Im not suggesting we send the SAS into mosques.. but if we don't stamp this out the consequences will be worse. Extremists already feel marginalised

Muslims already often feel "marginalised" by things like the Iraq War.. but if they feel marginalised by us stamping out extremism too bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    Could we stop politicising an ongoing tragedy, please?
    How am I politicising the tragedy? It was obviously carried out by Muslims, you'd have to be blind not to see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fstarpey)
    Don't you think that's a bit insensitive right now? You don't know who could be reading these posts- family members/friends of the victims etc.
    although it's not impossible, i think it's rather unlikely that their families are reading TSR wright now.
    and still- one has to look at the bright side of life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    Actually, if people like you weren't brainswashed idiots who haven't got the capability to form their own decisions based on real life and not the media could see that not all Muslims follow Islam in the same way, we would not be surrounded by hate.

My opinion on the people who carried out these attacks is a separate matter and my opinion of organised religion is a whole different debate. However, generalising everyone in a group the same is not the way to go.

Remember, stereotypes are for those who cannot form their own opinions. You are an idiot and should probably sort yourself and your pathetic excuse of a life out before you start preaching to others who have the capability to think for themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To be fair, you sound like you've been brainwashed to say that "stereotypes are for those who cannot form their own opinions". There is usually some truth to stereotypes, some statistical meaning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I'm pretty sure that nobody of import is going to be reading this thread, so what's the point in having pseudo-intellectual, hateful and heated debates that will accomplish nothing, really?
    Well why don't we all burn our laptops and sit in our houses with the lights off?

Discourse is incredibly important to help develop ideas and test opinions - there's nothing worse (or more dangerous) than someone with an opinion that they don't test the validity of. Terrorist ideologies, for example, develop in isolation from the rest of society, all terrorists consume vast quantities of hateful propoganda to reinforce their beliefs, but never look at contrary views to test the strength of their beliefs.

If these terrorists held rational debates with other sections of society they would be far less likely to murder their fellow citizens because it would encourage empathy with different people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Start the Fire)
    Leftists let Muslims into Western countries and make excuses for all their crimes against society
    It's not necessarily Muslims or any other ethnic group.

It's more the general acceptance of a huge number of outsiders to cover up for the home society's problems, created by Leftists. And if not that, then a blind, ideological desire to accept the outsider, no matter what the risks involved.

In this case, accepting millions of refugees, who ISIS have stated publicly they will infiltrate terrorists with. At the same time, Corbyn and Labour scream hysterically about having an open border with Syria.

So let's be clear: this is 100% the fault of the Left. These deaths rest on their shoulders. Whatever one's religion or ethnicity, if one is emotionally driven enough to accept terrorists into one's country, then it is that person's fault when something like this happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generic_man)
    Haha, and right-wingers don't? German has let in more refugees during this crisis than any other country and they're led by a right-wing Christian democrat.
    >Merkel
    >right wing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fat Rudeboi)
    Ofc we all want them to be safe but we're not the ones saving them
    No - but quite a lot of us here are doing nothing but venting off pointless, intolerant and mis-guided hate. That's just detrimental, it's not making anything better but is makings things actively worse.

Even comments like "my thoughts go out to the french" are useless, but they're not actively detrimental like some of the hateful things here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    My heart hurts.

Could we stop politicising an ongoing tragedy, please?
    Reality is politics. Dig your head out of the sand and place blame where it needs to be placed.

ReputationRep:
    Well why don't we all burn our laptops and sit in our houses with the lights off?

Discourse is incredibly important to help develop ideas and test opinions - there's nothing worse (or more dangerous) than someone with an opinion that they don't test the validity of. Terrorist ideologies, for example, develop in isolation from the rest of society, all terrorists consume vast quantities of hateful propoganda to reinforce their beliefs, but never look at contrary views to test the strength of their beliefs.

If these terrorists held rational debates with other sections of society they would be far less likely to murder their fellow citizens because it would encourage empathy with different people
    "Rational debates" - I would be all for that. I hope, however, that you can see that the majority of posts on this thread are nowhere near rational.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Yep, it's the fault of everything else. Poor Muslims are the real victims, not the people killed in the name of the religion.

Here's a crazy thought though, maybe it could be to do with them following an ideology with divine commands such as this:
    • "Mohammed is Allah's apostle. Those who follow him are harsh to the unbelievers but merciful to one another" - Quran 48:29
    • "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them" Quran 8:12
    • "O you who believe! fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness." Quran 9:123
    Nit picking quotes out of the context and time it was sent to Prophet muhammed.
    Have you studied Islam? No?
    Well just carry on playing minecraft.

ReputationRep:
    making a religious section of society feel marginalised and distrusted (which could actually encourage a more hateful dynamic)
    This here is I think going to be the biggest issue we are going to face. If such an attack was able to slip past intelligence, then obviously changes are going to be made there, with more raids and arrests etc. I also reckon there will be increased backlash towards Muslims in general and a more fractured relationship between what are some of the more isolated communities in the Western world and the rest of society.

I think there is a great danger that all of this might encourage more young Muslims in the west down this route. It is going to be a very difficult situation to approach

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johann von Gauss)
    To be fair, you sound like you've been brainwashed to say that "stereotypes are for those who cannot form their own opinions". There is usually some truth to stereotypes, some statistical meaning.
    It's a quote. Not quoted exactly but it's a lot better than having the mentality that "All muslamics iz terrorists".

And while your last point may be the case, let's face it, the twit I replied to was just generalising based on what they've got off the media.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    Whats a kamikaze, and what does this mean?
    In the Second World War, Japanese pilots would fly their aeroplanes into American ships to damage them. This evolved into a dedicated service with pilots being specially trained and flying what was, effectively, a huge bomb with wings.

It was, from a Japanese perspective, a very honourable thing to do for the homeland.

The modern day equivalent is 'a suicide bomber',

ReputationRep:
    No - but quite a lot of us here are doing nothing but venting off pointless, intolerant and mis-guided hate. That's just detrimental, it's not making anything better but is makings things actively worse.

Even comments like "my thoughts go out to the french" are useless, but they're not actively detrimental like some of the hateful things here.
    could you quote said comments? (long thread)

ReputationRep:

What? Ignoring why the current situation has happened and making a kumbayah circle makes things better?

The attacks are obviously bad. There is an obvious and important reason why they happened: the open border with Syria. The only thing that will make things better is expelling the refugees and readmitting them with thorough background checks if their lives are truly in danger.

That is the only thing that will make things better. If making things better is truly what you want. But it isn't, is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 41b)

It's more the general acceptance of a huge number of outsiders to cover up for the home society's problems, created by Leftists. And if not that, then a blind, ideological desire to accept the outsider, no matter what the risks involved.

In this case, accepting millions of refugees, who ISIS have stated publicly they will infiltrate terrorists with. At the same time, Corbyn and Labour scream hysterically about having an open border with Syria.

So let's be clear: this is 100% the fault of the Left. These deaths rest on their shoulders. Whatever one's religion or ethnicity, if one is emotionally driven enough to accept terrorists into one's country, then it is that person's fault when something like this happens.
    You're ignoring one key issue, it's the actions of non-pacifists that create the tension in the first place

If Corbyn was in power in a hypothetical situation of total peace, it would be extremely unlikely that terrorists would start attacking us on religious reasons, because we would have done nothing to create hate

edit: Bataclan seems to be over, elite police assault, 2 terrorists dead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generic_man)
    >Trying to greentext
    >On TSR

Back to /pol/, idiot. If you think Merkel is a leftist then there's no reasoning with you.
    https://www.reddit.com/ is this way my cuck friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 41b)

Link?

I knew Corbyn was stupid but not that stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    I need to build an underground shelter with unlimited food supply ASAP

My heart goes to all those in paris
    Am praying for peace there
    Can I join? I have bread and fanta.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 22, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.