Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Latest You Gov poll shows 7% majority for Leave watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Warminator)
    So the entire massive amount of talk and conversation around Camerons negotiations could result in nill if they are not passed in an effective time period. Would there be any major disadvantages to our government again having total control over the UK, rather than having directives issued from the EU parliament, also do you think governmental shifts ie the 4yr terms will have a major effect if for example the Labour get elected next term.
    The only major disadvantage on that front I've heard is that we then get no say rather than little say in EU regulations, in terms of major disadvantages that I can think of, there are none really, although that by no means means there are none.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! So coming out of this vote (if the majority votes to remain) Do you believe that anything will change or needs to change in the current situation, ive heard that Cameron is looking to reject a future referendum unlike Farage who wishes to host another if the results are close.
    Yes, absolutely. The EU needs to adopt serious policies towards farming. We subsidize inefficient farmers far too much. We also need to be more closely involved with our European partners such as the Germans on issues such as immigration. IMO, I think the European expansion project should have been slowed down. However, those things can only change if we remain on the continent.

I think another referendum is really a waste of money. Businesses simply won't invest if they are not sure if the UK is in or out of the EU.

In my opinion, Cameron is really finished as PM whether he wins or not. He has lost control of his party. That is why he won't host another referendum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    We have so much influence we have been against something like 70 measures and all have passed.
    How many have we we been in favour of that passed?

And what do you mean by "we". Do you mean the British government or do you mean MEPs from all UK parties?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    How does our own government feel in terms of the leave campaign are they split evenly or more focused towards one extreme/side.
    The very large majority of MPs in parliament want to stay in the EU.

A smaller, but still very significant, majority of Conservative MPs (the party of Government) also want to Remain.

So the democratically elected representatives in the UK are for Remain...

But if there is a winning Leave vote in the Referendum, in my view, it is likely to trigger a general election.

Edited to update comment about government/party stance. And further updated to include graphic:

Attached Images

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by jneill)
    The very large majority of MPs in parliament want to stay in the EU.

A smaller, but still very significant, majority of government ministers also want to Remain.

So the democratically elected representatives in the UK are for Remain...

But if there is a winning Leave vote in the Referendum, in my view, it is likely to trigger a general election.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You do realise a greater proportion of government ministers are remain than MPs overall, remember that their jobs may depend on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You do realise a greater proportion of government ministers are remain than MPs overall, remember that their jobs may depend on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, I was probably thinking of the Conservative party rather than government. What's the split in the government?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Ah, I was probably thinking of the Conservative party rather than government. What's the split in the government?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cabinet is 5 leave of 22 (for some reason I was thinking it was about 30), as for the wider government I don't have the specific figures but I am unaware of a single junior minister for leaving (and there are rather a lot of them)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    People arriving at this thread, please note this isn't the "latest YouGov poll" any more, the thread about the most recent one is here.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4176194

ReputationRep:
    If you Anglobros vote to Leave the EU I will never say a bad word about you in real life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    How many have we we been in favour of that passed?

And what do you mean by "we". Do you mean the British government or do you mean MEPs from all UK parties?
    I'm not sure

That is the amount of times the mep's have voted no.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I'm not sure

That is the amount of times the mep's have voted no.
    We have won the vote on 2,466 occasions, versus 56 loses.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Carry on the discussion in the new updated thread

ReputationRep:
    We have won the vote on 2,466 occasions, versus 56 loses.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Carry on the discussion in the new updated thread
    This is like saying you have a very good chauffeur because he's only deliberately slammed the car into a wall 56 times you've had him give you a lift

Might want to add on our 72 defeats in the Council to that figure too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    This is like saying you have a very good chauffeur because he's only deliberately slammed the car into a wall 56 times you've had him give you a lift
    It is more like saying that he's a crap football manager because he's lost 56 out of the 2466 matches his side played over his career.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.