Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

2016 AQA Chemistry C2 - Unofficial Mark Scheme 2016 watch

• View Poll Results: How many marks do you think you got out of 60?
    0 - 10 marks
    1.86%
    11 - 20 marks
    2.26%
    21 - 30 marks
    10.23%
    31 - 40 marks
    19.52%
    41 - 50 marks
    36.25%
    51 - 60 marks
    29.88%

ReputationRep:
    That's the right answer, using a digital thermometer has never been accepted. You either stir it, insulate it, use a lid, use a calorimeter.
    (Original post by MotivateInspi)
    I wrote about insulating the beaker so that no heat is lost to the surroundings will that get a mark!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everydaygent)
    There was two.

First one was:
    How does the size of a nanoparticle compare in relation to the size of an atom?

Second:
    Give a reason why 1g of Cobalt oxide nanoparticles would make a better catalyst than 1g of powder cobalt oxide.
    How many marks was the second bit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    for the question about what she should change i wrote an ELECTRICAL thermometer by mistake instead of a digital thermometer... will that be wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie Vardy)
    Everyone is getting carried away. An A will be like 45!
    I'd say that's too high for an A, I reckon an A will be somewhere in the low 40s, it was an easy test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyeAmber)
    Do you know how many marks that'd be all together? Really confuses me
    It all depends on the grade boundaries for the singular exams and we won't know them until the day before results day. Usually for Biology, Chemistry and Physics in Raw score marks its about 24 at the highest for a C (This is just going by past papers). So if you get a C in your ISA and about 24 in each of the singular exams you're pretty much going to get a C overall. I hope this helps you understand a little bit better, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracewright123)
    for the question about what she should change i wrote an ELECTRICAL thermometer by mistake instead of a digital thermometer... will that be wrong?
    I can't imagine so I'm sure it will be fine, you'll have probably got the mark if your reason backed it up aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naco88)
    They are the only 2 I saw.
    Some person said that we had to say volume, is that true? Because I wrote amount?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by survivors2000)
    what did people get for the question about comparing size of nanotubes and an atom ?
    Nanoparticles are bigger than atoms I think, it says on our spec that nanoparticles are made up of a few hundred atoms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhundo)
    Yes, hydrogen would form at the negative electrode.
    OMG Really i thought i was wrong, another mark in the bag

ReputationRep:
    How many marks was each questions? I cant remember and i want to add up the marks?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone put up the marks for each question?

ReputationRep:
    I put 300kg do you think I would still get the marks?

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    it would be helpful if you would include the marks as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naco88)
    Notice: I shall do a mark scheme for the P2 on Friday however it will come a bit later in the day. Follow me to see it when it comes out!

Hello. Welcome to my AQA Chemistry C2 Unofficial mark scheme! Due to the success of my other mark scheme for AQA Biology which got 40k views I will happily do another and look forward to seeing how you guys found the exam.
    This mark scheme is made completely by people who have done the exam so is written purely from knowledge. We will try and get the questions in the right order however putting marks next to each is very hard so please do not request this. If you remember a question we forgot then feel free to comment it below or contact me on twitter (@NacoRBLX) and I will be sure to add it.
    This mark scheme is not official and was made purely from what we saw in the exam.
    It does not contain all answers.

AQA C2 Higher - Unofficial Mark Scheme (Updated Regularly) (Should have a few questions of foundation)

Note: Not all the questions are complete
    1. Question on Temperature Change
    a) 5.75 (do not include the anomaly)
    b)
    c)
    d) How could you change the apparatus to get more accurate results? Use a digital thermometer. It is more accurate.
    2. Question on Fertilisers
    What is the PH after being neutralized? 7
    Percentage by mass: 14+1+1+1 = 17 (14/17) x 100 = 82%
    6 Mark Question about a farmer using ammonium nitrate on his crops. The best value to use was around 200kg because the lowest possible amount went into nearby lakes and it produced the maximum profit. Values between 200kg and 300kg would all probably be accepted. The examinors want to see that you can compare values on all graphs and find one which suits them all. Doing this should get you most of the marks.
    3. Question on Particles and Nano Particles
    Why are nano particles good catalysts? They have a large surface area to volume ratio.
    Put the dots/crosses in the diagram to resemble electrons. Put 2 dots/crosses in the overlapping bits and 6 outside of it. There should be 8 in the outer shell of oxygen so getting them in the wrong places but drawing 8 dots/crosses should get you 1 mark out of 2.
    Attachment 550689
    4. Reaction experiment (cross under flask)
    Why did the liquid go cloudy? Sulfur was produced (see equation) which dissolved in the water.
    What should she keep the same? The amounts of each substance used. The person looking at the cross.
    How could she do it with a temperature of 5 degrees? Cool the liquid
    5. Question on electrolysis (Magnesium Chloride)
    Why do the molecules need to be melted or dissolved in water?
    The particles need to be able to move so they can get to the electrodes. This also separates them.
    Why does magnesium form at the negative electrode?
    It is M2+ so it will be attracted to the negative electrode. It will then gain 2 electrons and therefore no longer be an ion.
    In experiment 2, magnesium did not form at the negative electrode, why?
    The magnesium chloride was dissolved in water so hydrogen atoms are present. These are less reactive than magnesium so will form.
    6. Question on materials
    How does copper conduct electricity? It has free electrons in its structure which can flow through when a current is applied.
    Why is diamond very hard to break? Diamond is hard because it has lots of strong covalent bonds which are hard to break.
    Why would you use thermosetting polymers in pan handles? They are strong and heat resistant. They have a high melting point.
    Predicted grade boundaries will come soon.
    Note: The question parts may not be in the right order.
    This is a mix of my answers and those of the community but they are not guaranteed to be correct.

Grade Boundary Predictions

These are completely my predictions, we have decided that it was a fairly
    easy paper so our boundaries are fairly high.

A* - 49 marks

A - 42 marks

B - 32 marks

C - 25 marks

Keep an ion this mark scheme... Hopefully it will get a good reaction... All the good jokes argon...
    Oh god the puns...

If you did the B2 exam on Friday, we have the mark scheme for that as well!
    The reason why the solution goes cloudy for question 4) is because it produces a sulfur precipitate which is insoluble in water.

ReputationRep:
    For some reason our teacher said that lots of people might have got this wrong and he said instead that nanoparticles RELATIVE to the size of an atom is round about the same

ReputationRep:
    Mark scheme with marks
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...513&highlight=

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hiorns158)
    I just looked at the graphs A, B, C on the left and saw that 200kg was the best, so I said why- highest profit, highest crop yield...
    Not sure what you've done, but you might still get a couple of marks?
    I found the best amount from each graph. For the first graph (highest crop yield?), I found 500 to be the best - where the highest point was. Second one - did the same and got 200. For the last one, I found the lowest point on the graph because I thought we needed to find the smallest amount which would cause the least ammonium nitrate to run off. I got 50 for that. I found the average by adding 500, 200 and 50 and dividing it by three to get 250kg.
    How did people get 200 for all three? Or did you just say the best amount for each graph and not find an average?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dee08)
    How many marks was the second bit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry about the delay. I believe it was one mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackbarry1999)
    1b) use a digital thermometer ~ more accurate ~ no human error
    I wrote use a plastic beaker instead of a glass one because plastic is a good insulator so is less effected by temperature change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brewah)
    Mean Question: 5.75 degrees celsius (2 marks)

Apparatus Question: Digital thermometer, more accurate (2 marks)

Trends of graph Question: Describe trend of graph, value goes up and how it stops (3 marks)

Reversible reaction Question: Endothermic (1 mark)

Percentage question: 82.4% (rounded up) (3 marks)

Neutral pH question: pH = 7 (1 mark)

Neutralisation equation: H+ + OH- = H2O (1 mark)

*??? question???* Aluminium chloride (1 mark)

6 mark question: 200kg, explain why using graphs (6 marks)

subatomic particles question: 8 protons 8 neutrons (2 marks)

Isotope question: Define an isotope, talk about neutrons and protons (3 marks)

Electronic structure: two bonded pairs, 2 lone pairs of electrons (2 marks)

what type of bonding? covalent bonding (1 mark)

why do they not conduct electricity? no overall charge (1 mark)

nano particles question: 1-100nm (1 mark) *probably wrong*
    nano particles have greater surface area (1 mark) *probably wrong*

Cloudy solution question: precipitate sulfur formed, solid and insoluble (2 marks)

Rate of reaction question: rate of reaction increases, more kinetic energy, frequent collisions, activation energy (4 marks)

Change the investigation question: change concentrations of acid (1 mark)

That's all i remember...

(these are NOT 100% correct, I may be wrong, its just brief notes from what i remember putting)
    For the percentage mass question I put 82.3%, would that still be correct ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 2, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.