Ask the Speaker II

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    The report button lol. When your leader is back he can tell you off for your safe space building nonsense. :laugh:
    My safe space :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    My safe space :cry:
    There, there mobbsy. Have a chocolate bar and some ice cream on me. Cis white males have nothing to fear here.

ReputationRep:
    The report button lol. When your leader is back he can tell you off for your safe space building nonsense. :laugh:
    Unfortunately the Prime Minister seems to only oppose safe spaces when they're for people he doesn't like. He's still very much in favour of the entire world as well as this website being a safe space away from any criticism or insult of him or any group he identifies with, from what I can see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Malice requires intent to offend not actual offence.
    The evidence Birchington used was a comment in UKIP's private forum by Adam that said the motion was to take the piss out of you: that is not proven malice. By Saoirse's recognition, the purpose of the bill was to take the piss, both items were jokes but UKIP's was punishable.

ReputationRep:
    There, there mobbsy. Have a chocolate bar and some ice cream on me. Cis white males have nothing to fear hear.
    Apart from the incorrect usage of homophones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    The evidence Birchington used was a comment in UKIP's private forum by Adam that said the motion was to take the piss out of you: that is not proven malice. By Saoirse's recognition, the purpose of the bill was to take the piss, both items were jokes but UKIP's was punishable.
    The fact that that post was deleted in an attempt to hide the intentions and pretend it was serious, is enough to prove beyond reasonable doubt that there was malaise. The bill in discussion here is clearly only a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Apart from the incorrect usage of homophones
    You got me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    The fact that that post was deleted in an attempt to hide the intentions and pretend it was serious, is enough to prove beyond reasonable doubt that there was malaise. The bill in discussion here is clearly only a joke.
    No, the post was not deleted, the post was edited to be clearer the motion was a joke motion, but members of the MHoC did not care the motion was a joke, the motion being offensive was more serious than the motion being a joke motion.

ReputationRep:
    You got me.
    I was going to say 'I always do', but that sounds a little threatening. I know, I'll ask our resident safe space expert for his advice.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to say 'I always do', but that sounds a little threatening. I know, I'll ask our resident safe space expert for his advice.
    So mobbsy has replaced LP in that respect too? That's what LP get's for making the space unsafe.

ReputationRep:
    So mobbsy has replaced LP in that respect too? That's what LP get's for making the space unsafe.
    Well, following this disgusting improper use of homophones, I will be instructing all those who're vulnerable to stay in their safe space, and in anticipation of more being hurt by this, ensuring extra sage and safe spaces are readily available.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I'm going to say at this point that I saw safe spaces at the top of the page and made a joke - I've not been following the whole discussion on LP's vital role as 'safe spaces co-ordinator' in the MHoC.

(Original post by mobbsy91)
    Well, following this disgusting improper use of homophones, I will be instructing all those who're vulnerable to stay in their safe space, and in anticipation of more being hurt by this, ensuring extra sage and safe spaces are readily available.
    I'm not sure I'll ever be able to leave the safe space again.

ReputationRep:
    Saracen's Fez - For the CC Amendment, don't you mean to say 'the Ayes have done it'? Also, please can you clarify your text in bold? I'm not 100% sure what you mean by that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Saracen's Fez - For the CC Amendment, don't you mean to say 'the Ayes have done it'? Also, please can you clarify your text in bold? I'm not 100% sure what you mean by that.
    Its a constitutional amendment...

ReputationRep:
    The amendment was to both the Constitution and GD, and failed to achieve the 2:1 aye:no ratio in order to pass. Whereas previous amendments have partially passed in this situation (with the GD bit passing and the Constitution bit failing) this would leave the CC still enshrined within the Constitution and so repealing the bit in the GD remains rather pointless. As a result this is a situation (and far from the first one of these either) where the entire amendment is deemed to have failed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    The amendment was to both the Constitution and GD, and failed to achieve the 2:1 aye:no ratio in order to pass. Whereas previous amendments have partially passed in this situation (with the GD bit passing and the Constitution bit failing) this would leave the CC still enshrined within the Constitution and so repealing the bit in the GD remains rather pointless. As a result this is a situation (and far from the first one of these either) where the entire amendment is deemed to have failed.
    So the CC will stay?

ReputationRep:
    So the CC will stay?
    In short, yes. I'm somewhat surprised it ever got passed into the Constitution but since the required majority to remove it was not forthcoming it has to stay there.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker, any idea what is up with the Labour Q&A? I can't access it at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I think the last post was deleted so you need to click the main link rather than the arrow to the last post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I've been binning some of the spam from earlier on. It's accessible but you'll need to click the thread title rather than the last page button.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.