TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brockle)
    How much feedback is it usual for med schools to give students about exams?

I passed my exams at the end of my first year (phew) but have no info other than that. I think I could usefully use more detail about how I did (read: where I did especially badly - exams were a bit of a disaster tbh), and I am a bit surprised about the lack of, e.g. mark breakdowns, to the point that I'm wondering whether more info IS given and they just forgot to give it to me for some reason

Obviously I don't want to pester the powers that be if actually it's perfectly standard to get very little feedback, but I can't help but think that it isn't very helpful for being able to improve...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At Cardiff we get emailed a little breakdown of our exams which contains:- our raw mark and what it was scaled to with standard setting.
    - the % of questions answered correctly in each topic (we do CBL so we get it like Case 1: musculoskeletal, case 2: sexual health etc.)
    - the number of questions excluded.it then goes through each question by number but no title is included, just the topic of the question and whether we got it right or wrong, which to me is pointless because I have no idea what the titles of the questions were, it would have been much better to have a learning outcome instead of just the broad topic but cannot complain, at least we get good feedback.

we then get emailed another document on cohort performance which shows:
    - the score and % range of scores for the paper
    - the average and % average score for the paper
    this was emailed to us 2 days after our results were released, sometime this next week we will also recieve our year 1 rank.I have to admit the feedback we get is SUPER comphrensive and if you ask they will tell you more. It is nice to know the average scores on the paper and which topics you were weaker on to.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. Joining Manchester med school this sept.
    Was wondering for tips about working during the academic year? Would it be too difficult for the 'average' student?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hi-zen-berg)
    Was wondering for tips about working during the academic year? Would it be too difficult for the 'average' student?
    First and second year it's fine, it'll be an intense course but you'll generally be 9-5 (or less) monday to friday with probably wednesday afternoons off. From clinical years onwards it isn't possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hi-zen-berg)
    I personally couldnt have worked (and after asking my medic friends they say the same) other than occasional days (I work open days) as well as have a social life, be able to study and learn effectively and keep stress levels lower.Some people did have a job for 6/8 hours on one of the weekend days and they did pass the year, but many of them wouldnt reccomend it unless you have to.you 100% cannot have a job in the clinical years ask any clinical medic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    I personally couldnt have worked (and after asking my medic friends they say the same) other than occasional days (I work open days) as well as have a social life, be able to study and learn effectively and keep stress levels lower.Some people did have a job for 6/8 hours on one of the weekend days and they did pass the year, but many of them wouldnt reccomend it unless you have to.you 100% cannot have a job in the clinical years ask any clinical medic!
    It's not impossible. I think there are a few of us who work some weekends during clinicals... Needs must and all... But I wouldn't recommend it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    you 100% cannot have a job in the clinical years ask any clinical medic!
    I've managed quite well thus far, though it does take a bit of planning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleur_de_haine)
    It also needs a pretty flexible job. Agency nursing FTW

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just read through the FPAS handbook for this year and feeling really discouraged to see Scotland's competition ratio has jumped up to 112%, from around 90% in previous years. And it's only likely to go up further for next year as they've said they're not imposing the new contract. As an average student with no extra EBM points I'm starting to feel like there's no chance for me.

My other top few choices are all right around 100% competition ratio and ALL increased last year compared to previous years. Genuinely worried I'm not even going to get into my top 5.

I know it's stupid pessimistic thinking, but after setting my heart on Scotland I feel like pessimism is the only protection I have from being totally crushed if I don't get it...

ReputationRep:
    Finally a finalist, taken long enough

(Original post by fleur_de_haine)
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    It also needs a pretty flexible job. Agency nursing FTW

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All the clinical medics I spoke to ended up quitting their job really early into clinical years as it took up so much time, but your probably right in the sense that a flexible job with flexible hours would work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    All the clinical medics I spoke to ended up quitting their job really early into clinical years as it took up so much time, but your probably right in the sense that a flexible job with flexible hours would work.
    Yes, I also think grads tend to do it more often because we have jobs we can dip in and out of easily.

I only do it if I've got a local placement. I don't work when I'm commuting to placement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghotay)
    Just read through the FPAS handbook for this year and feeling really discouraged to see Scotland's competition ratio has jumped up to 112%, from around 90% in previous years. And it's only likely to go up further for next year as they've said they're not imposing the new contract. As an average student with no extra EBM points I'm starting to feel like there's no chance for me.

My other top few choices are all right around 100% competition ratio and ALL increased last year compared to previous years. Genuinely worried I'm not even going to get into my top 5.

I know it's stupid pessimistic thinking, but after setting my heart on Scotland I feel like pessimism is the only protection I have from being totally crushed if I don't get it...
    Don't forget the SJT makes up half the total FPAS score. Doing well (through luck or any other means) can more than make up for the points you've not gained through intercalating or whatever.*

ReputationRep:
    I used to do 10 hours of nights at the weekend at the other end of the country, basically left uni Friday afternoon, drove to work, and got back just in time for placement. Knocked that on the head not far into clinical years!

Needs must though, if that's the only way you can get through med school financially, don't make yourself feel guilty for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munkie)
    I used to do 10 hours of nights at the weekend at the other end of the country, basically left uni Friday afternoon, drove to work, and got back just in time for placement. Knocked that on the head not far into clinical years!

Needs must though, if that's the only way you can get through med school financially, don't make yourself feel guilty for it.
    Ouch! That sounds killer! Was that even worth the petrol driving there?

But you're right. Needs must. At least thats what I tell myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elwyn)
    Don't forget the SJT makes up half the total FPAS score. Doing well (through luck or any other means) can more than make up for the points you've not gained through intercalating or whatever.*
    Yeah, I keep trying to keep that in mind. Did the SJT practice paper today though. God what a load of old *******s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghotay)
    Yeah, I keep trying to keep that in mind. Did the SJT practice paper today though. God what a load of old *******s
    So's the real thing!

ReputationRep:
    May I join please? Just had my first day of GEM at Newcastle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilithSternin)
    May I join please? Just had my first day of GEM at Newcastle
    Welcome! Hope it went well! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Welcome! Hope it went well! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! Thoroughly enjoyed the first day *

ReputationRep:
    What books do people recommend for clinical years? I've not bought a single book for preclinical, but figure it might be time to splash out to accompany wards... Main consensus seems to be Oxford handbook of clinical medicine and Kumar and clarke? What do people say

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.