Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Just in advance: I know how terrible my Japanese is! I'm really sorry if there are any horrible mistakes in the following paragraph! But I always appreciate corrections, it all helps towards improving!!!

私は一年日本語を勉強していますが、日本語の先生がいません。日本語が苦手で す。 でも、上達するために、日本人と話したいです。 自分を翻弄されります!(私の大学に留学生がたくさんいます!)
    Past progressive indicates a past progression. Like you were studying Japanese, but not anymore.

You can't use ある (never normally written with the kanji btw) for a person or living creature. Use いる instead. ある is for inanimate objects.

Maybe you did have a teacher and now you do, or maybe you don't have a teacher. Not too sure. Bit ambiguous to me.

You can't use しかし to start a sentence, only a preceding clause. Use でも instead. It sounds a little casual or even colloquial to do that.

The ために is kinda subjective. Perhaps you haven't learnt this grammar yet...In order to improve, I want to speak with Japanese people?

You use the particle と when you you want to speak with someone.

If you are using polite form, you need a copula after the tai...たい is an いい keyoushi.

自分を翻弄されります! - no idea what this means. 翻弄 is like messing about with people or causing a huge uproar or nuance.

ReputationRep:
    I might personally use (I'm on a work computer, no Japanese imput D: ) 'Ryugakusei ga ooii no desu!', but that's a matter of taste I think. You could also use 'ippai', if you're being casual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gaijin)
    Past progressive indicates a past progression. Like you were studying Japanese, but not anymore.

You can't use ある (never normally written with the kanji btw) for a person or living creature. Use いる instead. ある is for inanimate objects.

Maybe you did have a teacher and now you do, or maybe you don't have a teacher. Not too sure. Bit ambiguous to me.

You can't use しかし to start a sentence, only a preceding clause. Use でも instead. It sounds a little casual or even colloquial to do that.

The ために is kinda subjective. Perhaps you haven't learnt this grammar yet...In order to improve, I want to speak with Japanese people?

You use the particle と when you you want to speak with someone.

If you are using polite form, you need a copula after the tai...たい is an いい keyoushi.

自分を翻弄されります! - no idea what this means. 翻弄 is like messing about with people or causing a huge uproar or nuance.

Hehe thank you so much for your input!! It really does mean a lot to know where I am slipping up!
    Shamefully, most of the simpler things I have learned at one point but completely forgot about when typing (like using いる for animate objects, and a copula when speaking in polite Japanese - bah how did I forget that?!)!!!

Thanks ever so much! especially for pointing out I can't use しかし to start a new sentence, と for speaking with people, and ために - These are all new to me! So you've really been a huge help! I appreciate it ever so much!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else surprised by how neat their handwriting is in Japanese? Maybe its my kanji teacher being a sweet pitbull, but most Japanese think my handwriting is exceptional.

This is in contrast to my English handwriting which has gotten worse, since they made computers so accessible.

A tip for anyone studying Japanese is to write the kanji down and write Japanese with your hands. In the long run I think its worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I must admit all this language learning talk seems quite intimidating. For someone who learnt to read around age 6 and then never though about English again it seems quite difficult.

Does anyone know much about getting a job in Japan? Probably with a degree in physics (heh, I'm not at university yet but I guess it's good to be prepared). Just seemed like it might be fun. I knew someone who went and did a year in Japan (not sure where) but they were a biologist.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had the opportunity to study the language. Some of my favourite poems are Japanese. I simply adore the culture and the language is exceptionally beautiful. I can speak very basic Japanese, but as far as writing Japanese goes, I only know how to write 'sou desu' haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatkidd)
    I wish I had the opportunity to study the language. Some of my favourite poems are Japanese. I simply adore the culture and the language is exceptionally beautiful. I can speak very basic Japanese, but as far as writing Japanese goes, I only know how to write 'sou desu' haha.
    I'm sure there are some places you can do a Japanese evening course in Newcastle!

ReputationRep:
    I've rung up a few places but to no avail. I'm still looking. I can't afford home lessons because they're ridiculously priced.

ReputationRep:
    You could always try teaching yourself! The basics are well... fairly basic. There's a cool game called slime forest that teaches you the kana (writing) if you google it

ReputationRep:
    I'm confident with the basics and I know the little quirks in syntax and pronunciation. I'll have a look at that site thanks ^^

ReputationRep:
    Try Heaton Manor or alternatively you can just hang around the uni and try and find some Japanese people. They have an Anglo-Japanese society thing I think. But I ain't too sure if its still running or how good it is.

I knew a Japanese girl up in Newcastle Uni last year, but she has gone back to Kyuushuu now. I guarantee there must be a ton exchange students and post-grads out there or something.

ReputationRep:
    That's what my mother was suggesting! I have native Japanese friends here in Newcastle, but I don't get the opportunity to see them as often as I'd like. I'll look into it thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gaijin)
    On self reflection that is both good and bad advice I gave. You can use しかし to start a sentence, however unless you know the situations where you can use it, I would stick with でも for the time being. しかし, come to think about it, almost seems like a direct contrast to what you are discussing. I saw this in a newspaper article recently and thought I'd mention that.

Its almost a direct comparative instance. In the context in which that was placed, I'm 90% sure that was incorrect, which is why I marked it. By all means, please use しかし to start a sentence, but know when and where to use it!

ReputationRep:
    So does every one teach themselves some Japanese before going to/applying to uni? I've been teaching myself a little since summer 07 (summer after GCSE's - I had alot of time on my hands!) just out of interest ^^

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing evening classes for a year and am gonna do the GCSE this summer :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimoso)
    I've been doing evening classes for a year and am gonna do the GCSE this summer :awesome:
    Wow cool! I thought about getting classes, but then I figured that anything I learned would soon be surpassed when I got to uni (at the Cambridge open day, the guy said that a GCSE would last a month and and A-Level would last until christmas... :eek: ) and I could teach myself for free :awesome: so how much have you learnt with studying for a GCSE? What kind of exams will you have to do? And which exam board is it on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natsuko)
    Wow cool! I thought about getting classes, but then I figured that anything I learned would soon be surpassed when I got to uni (at the Cambridge open day, the guy said that a GCSE would last a month and and A-Level would last until christmas... :eek: ) and I could teach myself for free :awesome: so how much have you learnt with studying for a GCSE? What kind of exams will you have to do? And which exam board is it on?
    Nah I'd say it was worth it tbh, it's good to familiarise yourself with the language, especially with a native speaker as a teacher :yes:

Erm, well I'll learn about 1-200 Kanji I think, and pretty much just the basics. I'm not expecting it to last long at uni, but it sure must be better than going into it with nothing. And at my open day they said GCSE would only last 2 weeks :eek2: :p:

It's on Edexel and it's the usual four exams for languages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimoso)
    Nah I'd say it was worth it tbh, it's good to familiarise yourself with the language, especially with a native speaker as a teacher :yes:

Erm, well I'll learn about 1-200 Kanji I think, and pretty much just the basics. I'm not expecting it to last long at uni, but it sure must be better than going into it with nothing. And at my open day they said GCSE would only last 2 weeks :eek2: :p:

It's on Edexel and it's the usual four exams for languages
    I wasn't sure when I said a month but two weeks sounds more like it.

I'm aiming for about 100+ kanji for by the time I go to uni. What would you say is the best way to learn them? I can already recognise quite a few of the basic ones (maybe about 30-40, it's hard to count!)

ReputationRep:
    Gosh, I don't really know how I'd say the best way to learn them is! My Japanese teacher uses these really weird flashcards with pictures that are supposed to help you remember them But it doesn't work for me, and I can't even begin to describe how weird they are. I just like write them out about fifty million times till they stick!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm doing a Japanese module as wild credits on my Uni course (German, lol) and I was wondering if anyone could check my very basic sentances? I've got an assesment on Tuesday and I'm bricking it. I can just about recognise probably 10 - 20 characters in Hiragana, no Kanji yet. We've been told to learn the characters ourselves (in three weeks!) and that our teacher isn't going to sit down and go through it with us, it's all down to us.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.