Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    You have to work hard and revise. It is NOTHING like GCSEs. You have to genuinely revise you butt off because it is one of the most hardest things you will ever do. You have to understand the content really well. Take this from someone who was confident but then recieved really bad results because they didn't start revising as soon as they got the content.

ReputationRep:
    Revise months before an exam and hve a clear set of notes besides class notes. Also, past papers should be done including specimen papers to help you apply your knowledge

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it D:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    Right.. I'm willing to put the work in I guess. Trying to get into Oxford... won't be too crushed if I don't make it to be honest. But what kind of support can I expect from my college? It's a state comprehensive school and they don't exactly offer the Additional Further Maths so that'll be self-taught... And the CompSci department is practically non-existent. And Physics takes up a LOT of my time
    If there are any particularly fascist teachers when it comes to deadlines, ask the relevant pastoral person* to send out an E-mail to all your teachers (copying you in) explaining that Someboady has a lot on their plate this year, they're trying to get into Oxford and sitting x exams this year. Therefore, please be considerate of this workload when setting deadlines and try to be supportive of their ambition.

People have respect for someone with ambition, but who is honest about their needs. If the relevant pastoral person* is not very cooperative or you don't get along, go higher up the food chain until you find someone willing to help.

*ie head of college or something (I don't know) - someone with authority would be good

ReputationRep:
    Don't get complacent, it may seem ok when you start (well compared to what everyone is telling you) but it will get harder so make sure you keep on top of it from the start and do all homework you're given (especially in maths as practice really helps!), which sounds really boring but it's worth it in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    Try your best not to get behind! Catching up on A level work is a pain and difficult if you are ill ask friends or the teacher for a copy of the work or the topic so you can look at it and be ready for the next lesson. Ask teachers for the power points if that's what they use this can be emailed to you and you can read through it in your bed surrounded by tissues. If you do get behind its not the end of the world just try and catch up as much as possible the worst is getting to the end of the years going through the past papers realising you have no idea what this section means because you missed the lesson and didn't catch up.

ReputationRep:
    To avoid really high pressure, present your prep as lower grade level, unless it is contributing to your grades. But secretly practice better during your study hours, then during the exams - go forth with your amazing knowledge that you had secretly studied and memorised with tears and blood!

That way, you would surprised your teacher by instead having predicted grades of D or less - you got passing grade of A*-C.

ReputationRep:
    Best advice I'd give is dont be over confident with your AS exams because that could lead to some serious damage to your career!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    If there are any particularly fascist teachers when it comes to deadlines, ask the relevant pastoral person* to send out an E-mail to all your teachers (copying you in) explaining that Someboady has a lot on their plate this year, they're trying to get into Oxford and sitting x exams this year. Therefore, please be considerate of this workload when setting deadlines and try to be supportive of their ambition.

People have respect for someone with ambition, but who is honest about their needs. If the relevant pastoral person* is not very cooperative or you don't get along, go higher up the food chain until you find someone willing to help.

*ie head of college or something (I don't know) - someone with authority would be good
    Right okay, I love this thank you so much! I will definitely contact my head of sixth form about this. Do you have any general tips about taking A-levels and trying to get straight A*s?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Right okay, I love this thank you so much! I will definitely contact my head of sixth form about this. Do you have any general tips about taking A-levels and trying to get straight A*s?
    Past Papers=success. Especially for your subjects.
    Otherwise see:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1375172

ReputationRep:
    Just do BTEC and don't forget to retweet those tweets that say "retweet for good luck"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Past Papers=success. Especially for your subjects.
    Otherwise see:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1375172
    I've just enrolled... i am taking
    Maths (A-level), Further Maths(A-level), Physics (A-level), Computer Science (A-level), Additional Further Maths (AS-level), EPQ (AS-level) and I am a Year 13 Mathematics Mentor (super-curricular).
    This means of my 30 lessons a week, I have about 7 blocks free.
    It's a lot to take on... Im hoping im not digging myself a grave.
    I asked my predicted grades and its only my maths one that I really had to debate with about being predicted an A* for further maths... but im predicted respectively to each of the AS/A-levels.
    A*, A*, A*, A*, A, A*

I hope the predicted grades give you an idea of what kind of a student I am.. I realise my mistake last year was to work hard and not smart... This year will be a lot more tough... I think the plan is to finish the EPQ AS SOON AS POSSIBLE at an A* standard and complete my further maths modules as fast as possible and depending on my free time start on my additional further maths modules. whilst simulataneously working on Physics and Computing.
    I plan to do a 9-7 day at college as I have special permissions to stay in college to work.

What do you think? Am I overdoing myself? I found I finished all my 6 maths modules quite quickly last year (by end February) and Physics I kind of kept up with as we continued, always staying ahead of the game though as I was worried we wouldn't finish on time.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I've just enrolled... i am taking
    Maths (A-level), Further Maths(A-level), Physics (A-level), Computer Science (A-level), Additional Further Maths (AS-level), EPQ (AS-level) and I am a Year 13 Mathematics Mentor (super-curricular).
    This means of my 30 lessons a week, I have about 7 blocks free.
    It's a lot to take on... Im hoping im not digging myself a grave.
    I asked my predicted grades and its only my maths one that I really had to debate with about being predicted an A* for further maths... but im predicted respectively to each of the AS/A-levels.
    A*, A*, A*, A*, A, A*

I hope the predicted grades give you an idea of what kind of a student I am.. I realise my mistake last year was to work hard and not smart... This year will be a lot more tough... I think the plan is to finish the EPQ AS SOON AS POSSIBLE at an A* standard and complete my further maths modules as fast as possible and depending on my free time start on my additional further maths modules. whilst simultaneously working on Physics and Computing.
    I plan to do a 9-7 day at college as I have special permissions to stay in college to work.

What do you think? Am I overdoing myself? I found I finished all my 6 maths modules quite quickly last year (by end February) and Physics I kind of kept up with as we continued, always staying ahead of the game though as I was worried we wouldn't finish on time.
    Your commitment is impressive, this reminds me of a user on that revision tips forum that I linked before. He was doing a tricky combination of subjects, and had spent a ridiculous amount of time revising, going to language schools etc. had decent but not fantastic grades at GCSE (by TSR standards) and put an awful lot of pressure to get straight As @ AS. He missed out by one or two marks and was having a break down that his revision wasn't working. Super committed but not revising sustainably. It's good that you've recognised that yourself (I had to convince him that he was doing too much). The one thing I would say is enjoy yourself: not long to go! And if you do feel swamped: tell someone. And if in a months time, you don't think you can do all the subjects drop one (better that than break down in March from stress).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Case)
    DO NOT do an EPQ
    i thought an EPQ was good because it was worth more points or something?

ReputationRep:
    ok, mainly go for the subjects you enjoy because in my opinion that makes revision or any coursework you have to do, just that bit easier because you actually like and want to research into that particular thing.
    Don't take all four new subjects that you didn't do at school i.e. psychology and sociology, because you're in for a gamble with those, it'd be nightmare if you didn't enjoy any of them.
    EPQs are good in my opinion, definitely gives you somewhat of a boost for uni, but wait until the summer to actually research.
    set a goal and work towards it definitely be open to criticism, nobody is perfect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxfsxh)
    Oops lol that was the plan
    Same here

Though isn't EPQ in the first year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaedra)
    Same here

Though isn't EPQ in the first year?
    I think my EPQ is

ReputationRep:
    Don't expect to get straight As if you are currently getting A*/As at GCSE! The jump from GCSE to A Level is big, and getting Bs and Cs is good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxfsxh)
    Oops lol that was the plan
    Lol, don't be discouraged, many people do it fine but I hated it and really struggled. If you really think you can do it just please pick a topic you really enjoy for the EPQ and don't just do it for the qualification or you may end up regretting it as much as I do. Good luck for your A levels and uni if thats what you're looking to do

ReputationRep:
    Work hard in year 12 because your performance in year 12 will determine your predicted grades, which then determine what universities you can apply to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.