Turn on thread page Beta

French mayor bans burkinis watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    Again with the assumption that being non-White = your parents immigrated to this country "to give you better", which further proves my point.

as I keep saying it's not an assumption I have made it is based on previous discussions I have had with you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    as I keep saying it's not an assumption I have made it is based on previous discussions I have had with you
    Yet you can't quote these discussions. All I ever mentioned was that I have lived abroad, as your mother in law does, yet it is a different case for her than it is for me. How come?

ReputationRep:
    Yet you can't quote these discussions. All I ever mentioned was that I have lived abroad, as your mother in law does, yet it is a different case for her than it is for me. How come?
    Nope you've said more

Do I really have to trawl through your previous posts or will you just be honest?

ReputationRep:
    Nope you've said more

Do I really have to trawl through your previous posts or will you just be honest?
    Be my guest.

ReputationRep:
    Be my guest.
    So that's a no you will not just be honest but rather string this out a little more

ReputationRep:
    I get france is angry, but wearing a 'burkini' is just like wearing a long sleeve top and and pants. The face isn't even covered so I don't know why it is called the 'burkini' ... Plus there are people whom are not comfortable showing off their bodies in public shouldn't be forced to. In fact I think western society would benefit from at least trying to be a bit more modest. So, if I were to wear a long sleeved rash guard and swimming leggings, there would be a problem? This ban has just uncovered the meaning of 'freedom' and 'let them just be themselves' and other crap like 'do what you want to do'.

ReputationRep:
    So that's a no you will not just be honest but rather string this out a little more
    I would rather not grovel to prove myself to a random Internet persona with obvious racial prejudices and whose opinion is of no value to me. If you think that you have information which "exposes" me as some sort of lesser being then by all means quote it.

ReputationRep:
    I would rather not grovel to prove myself to a random Internet persona with obvious racial prejudices and whose opinion is of no value to me. If you think that you have information which "exposes" me as some sort of lesser being then by all means quote it.
    I'm not asking you to grovel I'm simply trying to understand where your argument comes from. But as immigrant I can see why you argue in favor of immigrants rights over the rights citizens of some countries (as it benefits you over the people who don't want to live In multiple countries but are happy with the country and culture their parents created for them rather than seeking better deals else where (for example Ireland))

and again lesser being is your term not mine

ReputationRep:
    I'm not asking you to grovel I'm simply trying to understand where your argument comes from. But as immigrant I can see why you argue in favor of immigrants rights over the rights citizens of some countries (as it benefits you over the people who don't want to live In multiple countries but are happy with the country and culture their parents created for them rather than seeking better deals else where (for example Ireland))

and again lesser being is your term not mine
    You are using the term "immigrant" to silence me because you clearly believe that as a Black person I would see it as an insult (given that you cannot quote or link me to where I claimed to be an immigrant). So if you do not view immigrants as lesser being, you have a funny way of showing it.

Many others on this thread have criticised the ban, you did not play the "you must be an immigrant" card on them. Wonder why...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edmund Monfort)
    This is a great decision by those parts of France, I hope it becomes more widespread.
    What about the sheitel and the habit?

ReputationRep:
    You are using the term "immigrant" to silence me because you clearly believe that as a Black person I would see it as an insult (given that you cannot quote or link me to where I claimed to be an immigrant). So if you do not view immigrants as lesser being, you have a funny way of showing it.

Many others on this thread have criticised the ban, you did not play the "you must be an immigrant" card on them. Wonder why...
    No I'm not (another lie from you) I'm simply saying as an immigrant your opinion has less relevance than someone born in the country we are talking about and that the opinions of immigrants are irrelevant when talking about national issues such as this(just like I would be an immigrant to France if I went there I would not try and change them to confirm to the standards I have left behind)

once again you try and bring race into this when it's not about race at all I understand it is a card you need to play but here it has little relevance

Honesty while not a trait of the lawyer class is still a requirement in honest discussions (something you sorely lack)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retropattern)
    I get france is angry, but wearing a 'burkini' is just like wearing a long sleeve top and and pants. The face isn't even covered so I don't know why it is called the 'burkini' ... Plus there are people whom are not comfortable showing off their bodies in public shouldn't be forced to. In fact I think western society would benefit from at least trying to be a bit more modest.
    Laughable.

ReputationRep:
    you implied you were German (I see now to allow you to build your straw man argument)

But again with the attack
    You don't know what a strawman fallacy is either, it seems. Perhaps you should be denied the right to decide on domestic affairs until you acquire a basic understanding of the English language, logic, and politics. That seems like a more fair system of discrimination than whatever you're proposing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dima-Blackburn)
    You don't know what a strawman fallacy is either, it seems. Perhaps you should be denied the right to decide on domestic affairs until you acquire a basic understanding of the English language, logic, and politics. That seems like a more fair system of discrimination than whatever you're proposing
    this has really rattled you hasn't it

funny really

ReputationRep:

I'm an immigrant and I criticized the ban.

Honestly, "You must be an immigrant" is an ad hominem. You don't need to even dignify it with an answer. Maybe he said it because you were black. Maybe he said it because you were very vocal. Doesn't matter because it's not a real argument, any more than "You support the ban because you're white" would be a real argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    I'm an immigrant and I criticized the ban.

Honestly, "You must be an immigrant" is an ad hominem. You don't need to even dignify it with an answer. Maybe he said it because you were black. Maybe he said it because you were very vocal. Doesn't matter because it's not a real argument, any more than "You support the ban because you're white" would be a real argument.
    Not my argument though

It's just I know she is and as a result her opinion on french culture and law has little relevance to reality (like mine in that respect given I'm not french and given I don't support the ban either)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dima-Blackburn)
    Obvious displays of stupidity, bigotry and disingenuity tends to have that effect;
    Is that from the French or from me

ReputationRep:
    No I'm not (another lie from you) I'm simply saying as an immigrant your opinion has less relevance than someone born in the country we are talking about and that the opinions of immigrants are irrelevant when talking about national issues such as this(just like I would be an immigrant to France if I went there I would not try and change them to confirm to the standards I have left behind)

once again you try and bring race into this when it's not about race at all I understand it is a card you need to play but here it has little relevance

Honesty while not a trait of the lawyer class is still a requirement in honest discussions (something you sorely lack)
    If it's not about race, then why were you calling me an immigrant as an attempt to insult me, despite knowing nothing of my background? You claimed that it was due to previous discussion we've had, while failing to quote any post in which I said I was an immigrant. So if it wasn't about race then what was it? Go on, I'm still waiting.

ReputationRep:
    If it's not about race, then why were you calling me an immigrant as an attempt to insult me
    immigrants come in all colours and I have stated this numerous times.

It seems you want either want the term immigrant associated with just one colour (something I have seen on British First websites as well, so you have that in common with them at least)

and I did not call you an immigrant to insult you (again another lie from you) I said your opinion as an immigrant carries less wait than someone whose country you emigrate to (is this really that hard to understand?)

ReputationRep:
    immigrants come in all colours and I have stated this numerous times.

It seems you want either want the term immigrant associated with just one colour (something I have seen on British First websites as well, so you have that in common with them at least)

and I did not call you an immigrant to insult you (again another lie from you) I said your opinion as an immigrant carries less wait than someone whose country you emigrate to (is this really that hard to understand?)
    Don't play naive: non-White British people get called immigrants all the time and are told to "go home" by racists as an attempt at an insult, something that does not happen to White Brits, and something that you are trying to do to me in order to silence me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.