The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I'm conflicted on whether I should apply to sixth form as soon as the application process starts (November) with my current predicted grades (7A*3A) or wait until I do mocks in case my predictions go up. I'm worried about waiting in case I do badly on one and a prediction actually goes down, and on the contrary I'm worried they'll go up and I won't end up getting them which would potentially mean losing a conditional offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepewds_)
    Anyone else like me and really doesn't want to go back to school?
    i'm actually quite looking forward to going back - I've had a really long and dull summer and I really need to get back to a regular routine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    I'm conflicted on whether I should apply to sixth form as soon as the application process starts (November) with my current predicted grades (7A*3A) or wait until I do mocks in case my predictions go up. I'm worried about waiting in case I do badly on one and a prediction actually goes down, and on the contrary I'm worried they'll go up and I won't end up getting them which would potentially mean losing a conditional offer.
    As long as you're predicted Bs (rarely an A) or higher in the subject you want to do, except in [Further] Maths where an A/A* prediction would likely be sought, you'll be fine. I would recommend checking the sixth form's website for specific requirements.

ReputationRep:
    "Looking forward to it", isn't what I'd say. I don't feel as worried as other years, so I could say I feel prepared?

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm Chloe and I posted on the Year 10 thread a couple of times but it was a while back so I doubt if anyone one remembers me!

The subjects I'm taking:

Eng Lang - Predicted 8
    Eng Lit - 9
    Maths - 8
    Science - A*
    Geography - A*
    RS - A*
    French - no idea, aiming for an A* though

I've already took 2 GCSES

German - A*
    History - A*

I'm chuffed with my 2 GCSEs but scared for this year's GCSEs especially with the reformed English and Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloedelrey)
    Hello! I'm Chloe and I posted on the Year 10 thread a couple of times but it was a while back so I doubt if anyone one remembers me!

The subjects I'm taking:

Eng Lang - Predicted 8
    Eng Lit - 9
    Maths - 8
    Science - A*
    Geography - A*
    RS - A*
    French - no idea, aiming for an A* though

I've already took 2 GCSES

German - A*
    History - A*

I'm chuffed with my 2 GCSEs but scared for this year's GCSEs especially with the reformed English and Maths
    What scares you about it? With 2 A*s already, I'm sure you'll do great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    "Looking forward to it", isn't what I'd say. I don't feel as worried as other years, so I could say I feel prepared?
    Wish I could say the same

ReputationRep:
    My routine is absolutely ruined
    (Original post by _b_e_n_)
    i'm actually quite looking forward to going back - I've had a really long and dull summer and I really need to get back to a regular routine

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm Alexa, I'm a long-time reader but first-time poster so this is a new thing for me I suppose!
    I'm taking:
    English Lit (AQA - Jekyll + Hyde, Inspector Calls, Romeo + Juliet & Conflict and Power Poetry)
    English Lang (AQA)
    Maths (AQA)
    Bio (OCR Gateway)
    Chem (OCR Gateway)
    Physics (OCR Gateway)
    History (OCR World History A)
    Drama (AQA)
    French (OCR)
    PE - possibly dropping (AQA)
    And I have already taken:
    Statistics - A* (edexcel)
    Core Science - A (one UMS off an A* so I'm putting in for a review, let's hope for the best!)
    I haven't received my predicted grades yet but am hoping for A/A*'s in most of my subjects and I look fairly on track for that so again, hoping for the best! This year should be quite hectic for me as I do a lot of sport outside of school but I've also been made head girl which is super exciting!

All the revision threads and chat on here should be super helpful Super scared by the new maths! The lack of past papers is such a horror as that's all that got me through my statistics, oh well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lexren)
    Hi! I'm Alexa, I'm a long-time reader but first-time poster so this is a new thing for me I suppose!
    I'm taking:
    English Lit (AQA - Jekyll + Hyde, Inspector Calls, Romeo + Juliet & Conflict and Power Poetry)
    English Lang (AQA)
    Maths (AQA)
    Bio (OCR Gateway)
    Chem (OCR Gateway)
    Physics (OCR Gateway)
    Drama (AQA)
    French (OCR)
    Core Science - A (one UMS off an A* so I'm putting in for a review, let's hope for the best!)
    I haven't received my predicted grades yet but am hoping for A/A*'s in most of my subjects and I look fairly on track for that so again, hoping for the best! This year should be quite hectic for me as I do a lot of sport outside of school but I've also been made head girl which is super exciting!

All the revision threads and chat on here should be super helpful Super scared by the new maths! The lack of past papers is such a horror as that's all that got me through my statistics, oh well
    Have you had a look at the specimen papers? Although they're not as good, because of lack of grade boundaries and examiner reports, they're something

ReputationRep:
    Wish I could say the same
    Is there anything, to do with work, that's bothering you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Is there anything, to do with work, that's bothering you?
    Oh no it's nothing! just being pessimistic as per usual

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying AQA English and for literature the power and conflict poetry cluster. In the exam there's only 1 question on it and I was just wondering if it always asks about the themes ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonomon)
    I'm studying AQA English and for literature the power and conflict poetry cluster. In the exam there's only 1 question on it and I was just wondering if it always asks about the themes ???
    There is two questions on poetry as a whole. One is on comparing two poems, which you have learnt. The second is a question on unseen poems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Authorbian)
    There is two questions on poetry as a whole. One is on comparing two poems, which you have learnt. The second is a question on unseen poems.
    Correct. Also the member would find it helpful to read the spec on the relevant exam board, links in the OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lexren)
    I'm taking:
    English Lang (AQA)
    Maths (AQA)
    Bio (OCR Gateway)
    Chem (OCR Gateway)
    Physics (OCR Gateway)
    Drama (AQA)
    French (OCR)

You'll be fine with Maths despite the changes made to the content for 9-1, just use the links in the OP and it should explain topics you find difficult. Also practice is always key in Maths. #WeCanDoIt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Authorbian)
    Yh but is the comparing poems question always asking you to compare the themes ???

ReputationRep:
    I'm the exact same. I thought I'd be the only one here who didn't want to go back, as everyone else on TSR seem to be work-a-holics; not like that's a bad thing, of course! I just don't enjoy school that much compared to other people, but I'm prepared to knuckle down and work hard I suppose.

Good luck for Year 11!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just Some Person)
    I'm the exact same. I thought I'd be the only one here who didn't want to go back, as everyone else on TSR seem to be work-a-holics; not like that's a bad thing, of course! I just don't enjoy school that much compared to other people, but I'm prepared to knuckle down and work hard I suppose.

Good luck for Year 11!
    I'm the same! Thanks Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I'm new to this thread, I'm taking these subjects:
    Biology, chemistry and physics triple award (OCR)
    Music (OCR)
    English language and literature (AQA)
    Maths (edexcel?)
    Geography
    French
    German
    Latin
    Not sure about the exam boards for the last few... My teachers don't tend to tell us these things.
    As for predicted grades, I don't really know. I'd like mostly A*s, definitely in Chemistry, French, Biology and Music. My school did religious studies a year early, and I got an A*. Not looking forward to the English exam though!

I'm thinking of doing Biology, French, Chemistry and possibly Psychology at A level, but I'm not really sure yet.
    Then I'd ideally like to go to Oxford! I might as well aim high I suppose :-) There's a degree called Psychology, Philosophy and Linguistics which sounds interesting.

Also, is there anyone here taking Latin? And if so do you know what sort of things are in the exam paper? I've heard that part of it is context about Roman history, but we haven't done any past papers in class so I don't know.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.