UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

jjkkll
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by * Dain Bramaged *)
edit: sorry jjkkll poste dhis results before i asked

well done...ya happy an glad it out the way? wats ur average?

edit again: sorry worked out the average from your individual scores...
im glad it over!!! my average was 532.5 and 2130/3600

(Original post by scaryhair)
Well done jjkkll
How did you find it? How much of it did you answer and was there much that you had to guess?
(Original post by jenifaar)
well done jjkkll...now you can relax and not have to think about it anymore! how did you feel timings and things went? glad it's all out of the way?
good luck to anyone else who has theirs soon

(Original post by iheartvet)
jjkkll, are you so relieved or what? i know i am!

(Original post by !MEna)
Good job jjkkll, bet you're glad it's out of the way!

...and damn, five days left till I sit it.
I thought it was the hardest thing iv ever had to do!!
i found it much harder than the practice test!!!

i only did 35/44 of the VR questions as i rand out of time
20/40 of the QR questions as i ran out of time

all the abstract ones, but in most questions sets A and B looked almost identical!!

and the DA i thought i got them all correct!!

but after the test i knew what to expect!!

BUT i am so relived and Cant wait to do the BMAT which actually requires you to have some knowledge of something!!

My score is the lowest of anyone on TSR, but its a fairly new thing only started for 2007 applicants. so not much weight can be placed on it, its just a usefull way of eliminating similar candidates!

but i dont plan to be similar to anyone!!
iheartvet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think that people are more inclined to post their scores if they are incredible and amazing. I am sure most people do not get 800s.
Let's just be grateful that it is over and we did average...haha.
* Dain Bramaged *
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol well said. You know when you say you did 20/40 on and 35/44 on vr etc....does that mean you got there and the time ran out so ya left 'em blank? or did you guess like the last 20?
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol well said. You know when you say you did 20/40 on and 35/44 on vr etc....does that mean you got there and the time ran out so ya left 'em blank? or did you guess like the last 20?

no i had to leve them blank as a message came up saying "time expired"
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by iheartvet)
I think that people are more inclined to post their scores if they are incredible and amazing. I am sure most people do not get 800s.
Let's just be grateful that it is over and we did average...haha.
Nobody on TSR ever does below average, on anything. Try asking the fitness forum how much they (want to) benchpress? Or asking the UCL forum how many are oxbridge rejects? :p:
crazylemon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I go on holiday for 2 weeks and when I return...the UKCAT is waiting.
richardharrold
Report 10 years ago
Well done jjkkll!!! I bet you're relieved - I know I am . . I'm just glad to have got it over and done with. Got 660, 660, 550 and 680, so close to jjkkll, and ye really glad to be in the average band - was expecting much worse!!

Cheers to all you guys for the advice, etc beforehand!
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by richardharrold)
Well done jjkkll!!! I bet you're relieved - I know I am . . I'm just glad to have got it over and done with. Got 660, 660, 550 and 680, so close to jjkkll, and ye really glad to be in the average band - was expecting much worse!!

Cheers to all you guys for the advice, etc beforehand!
well done mate!!!!

and your scores are mcuh better than mine!!!

Its just another milestone towards acceptance!!!

not sure how uni's use this scores and not applying anywhere which have had/used cut off scores!!!
mmmspam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just to say good luck to everyone, but also - - - don't work too hard please!!

Seriously, all those courses (and equally, I assume, those books) are really a waste of money. I did the practice test once on the ukcat site, and still managed to average 755 - a friend of mine (who I reckon is just as clever as me) went on a one day course (which cost a bomb) and still got quite a bit less than that!

So, the moral here is... just leave a day before the test to get in the right frame of mind (or, as i like to think of it, 'in the zoooone'...), and you'll be fine.

Oh yeah, also, I found the practice tests online to be harder than the real thing, particularly in the numerical reasoning bit. So don't panic!!

Good luck!
richardharrold
Report 10 years ago
Tbh one of the books really helped me, helped me realise that having a framework to work through, and set methods to use really helps and makes you more efficient.

With respect to how different Uni's use the score, I get the impression that it varies, because there's no set rules or guidelines about how to use it, essentially each Uni has been left to its own devices as to how to interpret the information. E.g. Sheffield use it as 1/3rd of their admission criteria but Leeds aren't overly bothered . . . . . . so it totally depends, and as said above, isn't the be all and end all.

Good luck to everyone still to take it!! Just try to relax and take it easy (easier said than done I know).

And jjkkll, how did you find the timings for QR, I only did half of the questions and time ran out.. . . ?
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by richardharrold)
Tbh one of the books really helped me, helped me realise that having a framework to work through, and set methods to use really helps and makes you more efficient.

With respect to how different Uni's use the score, I get the impression that it varies, because there's no set rules or guidelines about how to use it, essentially each Uni has been left to its own devices as to how to interpret the information. E.g. Sheffield use it as 1/3rd of their admission criteria but Leeds aren't overly bothered . . . . . . so it totally depends, and as said above, isn't the be all and end all.

Good luck to everyone still to take it!! Just try to relax and take it easy (easier said than done I know).

And jjkkll, how did you find the timings for QR, I only did half of the questions and time ran out.. . . ?
Half the questions and ran out of time, but some were really hard!!

and the VR was long and sooooooo boaring!!!! once you read it i forgot what it was about!! only did just over half for that section!!
Nicolish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Does everyone here do AS maths because I dont and would I be at a disadvantages in QR?
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Nicolish)
Does everyone here do AS maths because I dont and would I be at a disadvantages in QR?

i dont do A Level maths, and i strgled with timing only not the content i only manages to do 20/40 questions and got 530 score!!
x.beth.x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No you won't. The maths in quantitive reasoning is barely even GCSE intermediate level i.e. percentages, ratios, volumes. It's not the level of the maths that is hard, it's completing the questions accurately under a very strict time limit. So don't worry about a disadvantage Loads of people I know don't do AS maths and it didn't make a difference.
jenifaar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i don't and i got 740, which i was pleased with....but, saying that, i went over some pretty basic GCSE stuff (percentages, ratios and things) because i felt a bit rusty on it, even just with a year not doing it.
but yeah, im sure i saw somewhere that the questions should only be GCSE grade C level or something? so it shouldn't be a disadvantage. and you're probably less rusty on most GCSE stuff than i was anyway! i was pretty terrible, its just all evaporated from my head.
Nicolish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:P cool gcses stuff eh
reccommend any sites?
xx
Raquel//
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Look on the sticky. Loads of sites for you there.
* Dain Bramaged *
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jjkkll)
Half the questions and ran out of time, but some were really hard!!

and the VR was long and sooooooo boaring!!!! once you read it i forgot what it was about!! only did just over half for that section!!
so would you recommend doing as you did and thouroghly doing the question and doing about half? or going through them and skipping hard ones so as to finish the section?

anyone?

also is the timer easy to see on the test>? so ya know how long is left?
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
so would you recommend doing as you did and thouroghly doing the question and doing about half? or going through them and skipping hard ones so as to finish the section?

anyone?

also is the timer easy to see on the test>? so ya know how long is left?

i think it would be best to do as many as you can as fast as you can as accuratly as you can and if your still gonna run out of time in the last 40 secconds guess the rest!!!

yes its very esay to see just like in the practise test.

in fact difficulty wise i dfound it a little harder then the pracrtise test!
iheartvet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think the quantitative was a lot easier than the practice test. The verbal I thought was easier and the decision analysis I did not do as well on as the practice, so I would say I thought did not go as well as I had hoped.
The timer is on the upper right hand side and is easy to see.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (356)
37.63%
No - but I will (74)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (450)
47.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise