Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Clickers and Aliens.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If we're going to keep saying every christmas is last christmas, can we at least play Wham?

ReputationRep:
    SUCH a good episode. Makes up for everything!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Possibly the best Christmas special!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not usually a fan of DW but this episode was really good...a bit cringy and predictable in areas but generally 8/10 would watch again

ReputationRep:
    Little bit too much waking up and still being in a dream, but I rather enjoyed it :yep:

(Original post by GCSEsitter)
    What was that tangerine meant to symbolise...?
    Doctor: who have I got to thank?

*cuts out to tangerine*

Implication being that it's Santa :wink2:

ReputationRep:
    A good episode. Probably due to the fact that Moffat put no original ideas in.

ReputationRep:
    What, has it playeed?? it's only bloody 7 o clock since when does dr who start at 6 wtf the pissed off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingStannis)
    What, has it playeed?? it's only bloody 7 o clock since when does dr who start at 6 wtf the pissed off
    It's usually earlier on Christmas Eve
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Ii enjoyed it!

ReputationRep:
    So that was a dream too?
    No, I assume it's supposed to imply that it was the real Santa :yep:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    What was that tangerine meant to symbolise...?
    As Aula said - it was supposed to show that Santa brought them back together.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no. Let's not have another spinning top argument!

ReputationRep:
    So tired that I feel asleep after 15 minutes and woke up with 10 minutes to go. Missed the middle section. Going to have to watch it again at some point.

ReputationRep:
    Felt a bit like Moffat's view on Inception with all these dreams.

Better than i expected though considering Santa made a visit (Nick Frost is an awesome cameo).

ReputationRep:
    Clara News (hardly a spoiler): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30602537

I'm happy with that, however i hope the bloated Danny story fades in the next series since i do not need all the unwanted waffle that it brings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Morsey_)
    Snip
    This should be in spoilers - feel free to say that it contains information officially announced above though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    This should be in spoilers - feel free to say that it contains information officially announced above though.
    Not really a spoiler but just in case
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'd have thought that the ending of the Christmas episode would have made it fairly obvious that she was going to be in the next series. I think the words "The Doctor and Clara will return in 'The Magician's Apprentice'" gave it away somewhat.

With regards to the episode, I really hope this whole "you're still in a dream" thing doesn't come back to bite us at the end of next series; Moffat has a track record on this sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kool_Panda)
    Not really a spoiler but just in case
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'd have thought that the ending of the Christmas episode would have made it fairly obvious that she was going to be in the next series. I think the words "The Doctor and Clara will return in 'The Magician's Apprentice'" gave it away somewhat.

With regards to the episode, I really hope this whole "you're still in a dream" thing doesn't come back to bite us at the end of next series; Moffat has a track record on this sort of thing.
    Agreed with what's in the spoiler, but there are some people here who don't want to know anything like that until it happens.

Spoiler:
    Show
    All that the end of that episode confirms is that she's back for at least the beginning of the series. For all we know (without confirmation) she could be leaving part way through the series.

ReputationRep:
    My understanding was she was out this episode - was on the edge of my seat expecting her to "die" in some way ala Rory & Amy. I'm a bit (considerably) disappointed she'll be in next season - I have grown really tired of her - her arc seems stale and doesn't seem to excite me anymore. As a character, she carries "baggage" a bit like Martha.

I liked the concept of the episode a lot(!) but... I felt a little let down - this episode wasn't very Christmassy and I've grown to have very high expectation for the Christmas specials. Christmas for me this year was a bit dull and I was hoping Doctor Who would invoke some childhood nostalgia

And even though I liked the concept if it were for a normal episode, I felt the actual episode itself wasn't great. Acting on Capaldi's part was well done but the writing just involves pseudo-intellectual plots with no action/little suspense & drama/invoked next to no emotional response..

Also this memory/dream/telepathic plotline is surely past it's sell by date now? Clara erasing the minds of daleks telepathically, the Dream Lord involving Amy & Rory, the Angel forming in Amy's eye, the confessional priests, Daleks reacquiring knowledge of the Doctor through Tasha Lem, Amy + mankind losing memory of the Dalek invasion, Amy being able to remember her parents etc during the Pandorica arc, the Orient Express mummy... the list goes on

not to mention the fairy tales: Robin Hood, Santa Clause..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.