Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    Everything here is correct as far as I know, such as continuing on the same fee scheme, and so-on.
    Aye. At any rate it is all information that can easily be confirmed with a few phone calls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Aye. At any rate it is all information that can easily be confirmed with a few phone calls.
    My personal tutor isn't in at the moment, apparently all but 1 of our lecturers is on leave and she don't know everything :/

Doing another year at uni really won't do me much good ATM anyway :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    First of all - don't freak out! It can happen to everyone and you've done so well to get this far. Talk to your tutors at university, contact your disability services at university and start the extenuating circumstances process. You can have the 40% cap removed if you can provide evidence of illness.

I failed a year at uni due to illness. I felt dreadful at the time and wanted to curl into a ball (and I'm pretty sure I had another messy breakdown). I received a certificate of higher education and then transferred to a closer, less stressful university and now I'm back on track for a first. Bad things happen but they are not the end of the world and if you need time to recover, and then come back to focus on your dissertation then do that. You are much more important than your degree so do whatever you think will be best for you right now.

If you haven't used any additional years of finance then you'll be entitled to that automatically and you'll be charged at your current rate. If you have used your year, then there's an appeals process for additional years. You're going to be completely fine, k?

*huge hugs*
    I so wanted to cry this morning, but I think being with my boyfriend helped massively, and the fact when he said to his mum "poncho has some news" and she nearly had a heart attack thinking I was pregnant :facepalm:
    I'll most likely take a year out possibly and transfer for the next academic year if I can do that and go to uni closer to home and have support in place
    Only had 3 years of finance.
    I really need to speak to my personal tutor I think :/

My mate wants me to do resist, but deadline is in a month, and I'll have well half a years worth of work to do in a month, which will never happen especially with how I'm feeling. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by PonchoKid)
    My personal tutor isn't in at the moment, apparently all but 1 of our lecturers is on leave and she don't know everything :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is your choice to make and up to you how you deal with it I just wanted to be clear about a few things. Best of luck with whatever you do decide to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    True for now, however the degree is only one aspect of your life, and you have many many more things which prove how utterly un-failsome you are (totally a real word I just used there :yes:). You're a good person who does her best to help others, and that makes you awesome.

I'd have a word with Student Finance/your uni about fees and stuff for retaking - when I've took extra time or redone years it's been at the same fee rate plus inflation, so way way cheaper than most current students pay. It's also possible to take a year or two off and then go back, which I also did (in fact, if you need someone to talk to about the many millions of ways you can inconvenience your uni but make your own life much simpler, then that person is me!). And you might get to resit things as a first attempt if you ask, since you've been ill all this
    I defo fail at life, ordered my boyfriend the wrong thing from the Chinese

Gonna try get hold of my personal tutor at some point, and I'm gonna maybe phone my mum tomorrow, I just don't know what to do, everyone's telling me to do different things
    Think I might take time out then finish it off...
    I just don't know.

What I do know is I want to cry...

BUT I did get 62% in another essay, doesn't help with the failed degree malarkey, but it does sound better saying "I failed my degree BUT I got 62 in an essay that I chose the module for because of the lecturer, and took no notes all year and didn't understand anything because I sat in lectures blanking out and leaving early" haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Sooooo. My viva date has been set for 'sometime after the first week of August'. Starting to worry I'll miss some sort of set time limit but I'm too scared to ask anyone more senior than my supervisor in case I get him or myself into some sort of trouble.

Student finance are refusing to fund me even though I should be entitled to 6 years of funding and have only used 5 so far. I need one more semester of funding to complete my degree but they can't comprehend the concept of a split academic year. I studied level 5 in one semester, and moved to level 6 in January for a semester. The university is going out of its mind trying to sort student finance out and I'm at my wits end. It's not like 1.7k magics itself out of thin air to pay my fees.

Worried that I've taken too much stuff on as I'm mentoring at a local NCS scheme throughout August and I can feeling myself getting tired and depressed again. I still have work to complete for August too so I'm just scared of burning out and cracking when mentoring a bunch of teenagers. And I'm in the process of applying for teach first and it's so scary competitive that I'm nervous about being super useless about it all.
    :hugs: Hope student finance sort themselves out soon, without stressing you out too much. And remember that you're awesome and can do all kinds of things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Would you consider arranging to take time off, say a year, and then coming back to retake the year? It's the longer route, but if it means you come out of it with a degree then it's probably worth the extra time. I took two years out and am only just completing my degree part-time over the past two years, and I'm really glad I waited until I felt it was the right time to return. Right now I think the main thing is keeping your options open, so you still have the chance to go back, and then once you're in a better state of mind you can make the decision.

Trust me, you can get through this and go on to do well. :hugs:

Also, I vote that anything from the Chinese is bound to be tasty. :drool:

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: Hope student finance sort themselves out soon, without stressing you out too much. And remember that you're awesome and can do all kinds of things.

Would you consider arranging to take time off, say a year, and then coming back to retake the year? It's the longer route, but if it means you come out of it with a degree then it's probably worth the extra time. I took two years out and am only just completing my degree part-time over the past two years, and I'm really glad I waited until I felt it was the right time to return. Right now I think the main thing is keeping your options open, so you still have the chance to go back, and then once you're in a better state of mind you can make the decision.

Trust me, you can get through this and go on to do well. :hugs:

Also, I vote that anything from the Chinese is bound to be tasty. :drool:
    Im gonna hide and pretend today never happened. That works doesn't it?? If i dont acknowledge the problem then it doesnt exist right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by james1211)
    Yeah, I'm keeping notes of my daily moods and things I'd like to raise with him. Like you say sometimes its hard to articulate every feeling you want to get across.

It's nice that you have an active group here, a lot of the online sites are a bit sparse of members. Appreciate it guys.

Hey, just remember there's more to life than what anyone else can say you've failed at on a piece of paper. This is just one small part of your life, remember how many other things you are successful at that others are not :yep:
    Good to hear! Best of luck for when you go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    :jumphug: Really sorry to hear that, hun. You know where my inbox is, if that would help :console:
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Im gonna hide and pretend today never happened. That works doesn't it?? If i dont acknowledge the problem then it doesnt exist right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Take a few days to yourself if you like, but ultimately you have to get this sorted. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Take a few days to yourself if you like, but ultimately you have to get this sorted. :hugs:
    Spoke tommy mum, and she basically said there's no way will I manage to do all the resit work in a month.

So my option is taking a year out and redoing 3rd year with there or transferring Unis.
    OR
    Going for a career change and going to college or something and kinda giving up on the degree...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    Spoke tommy mum, and she basically said there's no way will I manage to do all the resit work in a month.

So my option is taking a year out and redoing 3rd year with there or transferring Unis.
    OR
    Going for a career change and going to college or something and kinda giving up on the degree...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Think it through. You don't need to rush anything. Process what's happened and then make pros and cons of what's happened. A transfer could be an option but some unis will drop you back to being a second year. Also, since you technically sat this year you may have to appeal for a resit year even if you do transfer.

I'm around if you need to pm somebody. I've been in your situation (and Rory has been to so make use of him! Also give him a good glomping from me )

You may want to start to contact perspective unis for advice as to what you should do. Explain your situation, explain that you're feeling healthier now and that you're looking for a second chance to complete your degree.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

OR

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All that sounds reasonable. There's not long until the resit period, and it sounds like you're fairly stressed already, :console: so I wouldn't have thought resitting now would be a good option.

If you decide to leave uni altogether, make sure and speak to them properly about it - I think there's some kind of certificate you can get to show that you've done x number of years of higher education (I think it was rmhumphries who told me about this), so you wouldn't be leaving with nothing.

To me the best solution in terms of keeping your options open would be to talk things over with uni, ask about taking time off, and then if they agree you'll have a given period of time to sort yourself out, but you can also potentially use that time to find something you enjoy doing more or find less stressful. It's not set in stone that you have to finish uni right now so try not to worry quite so much about it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    All that sounds reasonable. There's not long until the resit period, and it sounds like you're fairly stressed already, :console: so I wouldn't have thought resitting now would be a good option.

If you decide to leave uni altogether, make sure and speak to them properly about it - I think there's some kind of certificate you can get to show that you've done x number of years of higher education (I think it was rmhumphries who told me about this), so you wouldn't be leaving with nothing.

To me the best solution in terms of keeping your options open would be to talk things over with uni, ask about taking time off, and then if they agree you'll have a given period of time to sort yourself out, but you can also potentially use that time to find something you enjoy doing more or find less stressful. It's not set in stone that you have to finish uni right now so try not to worry quite so much about it.
    Yup, you can leave with a certificate or diploma of higher education depending on credits passed. There's also the option of an ordinary degree but that's dependent on 300 credits being passed and whether the uni allows it as an honours degree safety net. Some do and some don't so it'd depend on poncho's uni policy.

I left Nottingham with a certificate of higher education and then transferred my credits too to finish my degree elsewhere. Best decision ever and it gave me time to calm down and start studying in a healthier way.

So poncho, listen to wolfie and their lovely advice. You do what you need to do to be healthy! There's no shame in time off if that's what you need but make sure you make everyone aware of what you're doing. Contact your uni to appeal for a resit if that's what you want and make sure you contact student finance so they can give you an additional year of funding if you need it later.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

OR

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There would be nothing from with doing something completely different, but you have to be sure about it.

ReputationRep:
    Is it bad that I just got out of bed? :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by avhhs)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not at all. Getting out of bed is overrated, imho :yep:

:ninja:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by avhhs)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you feel better for it? If the answer is yes then it's not a bad thing at all!

Went shopping today for clothes in an attempt to not feel dreadful when I start at the summer camp because I feel like I'm dressing like a child. Just hoping I can look like a grown up while not looking like a fat lump trying too hard. I just hope they'll take me seriously. 16/17 year olds can be awfully mean if they want to be.

Just also accidentally bumped into my soon-to-be supervisor while at my girlfriend's uni so that was interesting. This time next week it'll be my first day and it's apparently happening here so that makes my life easier. I feel so positive about things and then suddenly it all becomes too much again and I just want to hide.

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Not at all. Getting out of bed is overrated, imho :yep:

:ninja:
    PRSOM. Getting out of bed is definitely overrated. :yep: Except at the moment it's too hot and humid and yuck to always stay in bed comfortably. :mad: (I like to be under my nice heavy thick duvet... Thankfully it's not that hot at nights!)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    About to see my care co-ordinator, praying I don't get admitted.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.