The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shawn_o1
League One is your ideal level, if you want your club to "take over the world" i.e. go up to the Premier League and stay there, it needs to have a long-term plan. The lack of a proper foundation (and possibly mismanagement) was the reason why it grew too quickly and shrank too quickly...

True, but our ambition is Championship and then from there we will see but the Premier League is very far far away. The Richmond ere (premiership) for us was the biggest roller coaster we could have stayed if ITV Digital didnt go bust.

However this season in particular what do you think Bradford can do as a team ? It was said promotion at the start but I dont see that happening not with this management and the board. :frown:

Btw who do you support ?
Original post by redleader1
True, but our ambition is Championship and then from there we will see but the Premier League is very far far away. The Richmond ere (premiership) for us was the biggest roller coaster we could have stayed if ITV Digital didnt go bust.

However this season in particular what do you think Bradford can do as a team ? It was said promotion at the start but I dont see that happening not with this management and the board. :frown:

Btw who do you support ?

Damn I was going to post a reply but my computer decided to cut off my internet connection. Since I can't be bothered to re-write it, you can see from my post history who I support :smile:

I've also been to a few Crystal Palace games with my mum's colleague who's an avid fan of theirs, so I like to see how they do too.
Original post by Jangrafess
I'll be at my first Hamlet game in a fortnight - in London for a week so I'm going to see your home game against the cops. Couldn't have picked a better one!

We smashed them 3-1 midweek, our first win in almost 7 years against them. Honestly couldn't pick a better time to see us either.
Damn I was going to post a reply but my computer decided to cut off my internet connection. Since I can't be bothered to re-write it, you can see from my post history who I support :smile:

I've also been to a few Crystal Palace games with my mum's colleague who's an avid fan of theirs, so I like to see how they do too.

But what do you think of Bradford's manager, he's done well in terms of cup runs but in the league its nothing specials. At the end of the day its just cup runs the league is what matters, long ball is not the answer.

Crewe Alexandra ?
But what do you think of Bradford's manager, he's done well in terms of cup runs but in the league its nothing specials. At the end of the day its just cup runs the league is what matters, long ball is not the answer.

Crewe Alexandra ?

I would bet on your club sacking their manager only if they are perilously close to relegation.
Crewe are a well-run club, they stuck with Dario G through promotions and relegations and now they have a famous football academy :smile: The post-Dario era has been interesting to say the least
I would bet on your club sacking their manager only if they are perilously close to relegation.
Crewe are a well-run club, they stuck with Dario G through promotions and relegations and now they have a famous football academy :smile: The post-Dario era has been interesting to say the least

True. I really like the lower league clubs and I have a lot of respect for your fans especially the 70 or less I think that came to Bradford on a tuesday night when you were in the relegation Zone. Coming all that way to support your team in relegation and we were in the play offs at the time. Real fans :smile:
Poor Terry Butcher.
Solid home win today keeping us in the top 6 with a game in hand on everyone else. Certainly seems that we have a team that won't get many draws this season.
What a game at Loftus Road, but Ben Amos may be one of the worst goalkeepers in the second tier.

Great results for Wolves and Reading, though. That goal at Sheffield Wednesday was just lovely, too.
Original post by Tony_LeaS
We smashed them 3-1 midweek, our first win in almost 7 years against them. Honestly couldn't pick a better time to see us either.

Which is a good pub to head to for a prematch pint?
Which is a good pub to head to for a prematch pint?

Not sure about pubs, we have a bar though in the clubhouse which is cheap. Also, we don't need to comply with non-league/league grounds, so you can bring cans of cider/beer/insert beverage here to the ground.

Shouldn't be busy tonight though, Tuesday night and Met Police normally means around about 450-500 at the ground.
Not sure about pubs, we have a bar though in the clubhouse which is cheap. Also, we don't need to comply with non-league/league grounds, so you can bring cans of cider/beer/insert beverage here to the ground.

Shouldn't be busy tonight though, Tuesday night and Met Police normally means around about 450-500 at the ground.

Cheers :yy:

I'll bring in a tin or two then but also have one in the clubhouse. Does Met Police mean fewer than usual? Would have thought some lefties would be dead up for a chance to abuse the cops. Definitely why a mate of mine is coming.
Cheers :yy:

I'll bring in a tin or two then but also have one in the clubhouse. Does Met Police mean fewer than usual? Would have thought some lefties would be dead up for a chance to abuse the cops. Definitely why a mate of mine is coming.

I'm not too sure, a lot of the more committed fans try to avoid this fixture because lefties feel its a chance to grow some abuse at the side, which is ironic as the board, the players, and coaching staff have no association to the police anymore and haven't had a player actively in the Met since 2011. A lot of us throw a jokey remark or chant at them which they take off the chest, but I wouldn't recommend it too much. I'm trying to get there for kick off from university but at this rate its unlikely. Have a good time regardless and hopefully ill see you there!
Had a really good night watching England Under-21s at the Ricoh Arena last night. Akpom really impressed me, though it was a shame to see Gomez hobble off with an injury after a seemingly innocuous challenge.
First goalscorer for each team were Sweeney and Crook at a Met Police game. That was very funny. Shame the Met won, they didn't deserve the result I didn't think - their second goal was out of nowhere and Hamlet seemed to have all the pressure in the second half.
First goalscorer for each team were Sweeney and Crook at a Met Police game. That was very funny. Shame the Met won, they didn't deserve the result I didn't think - their second goal was out of nowhere and Hamlet seemed to have all the pressure in the second half.

Summed up easier, their keeper had a ****ing blinder in the second half and even if we deserved all 3 they held out well. Missed out chance of going top, but onward to Saturday. Hope you enjoyed the game though!
Summed up easier, their keeper had a ****ing blinder in the second half and even if we deserved all 3 they held out well. Missed out chance of going top, but onward to Saturday. Hope you enjoyed the game though!

His double save deep into stoppages was fantastic.

Yeah I had a good time, I'll be coming back given the chance. Ended up with a whole bunch of regulars I know through the grapevine who I hadn't seen for years which was nice.
Generally how much should the average league one striker score in order for a promotion, if they team generally plays two strickers up front how much should each score ?
Generally how much should the average league one striker score in order for a promotion, if they team generally plays two strickers up front how much should each score ?

If the two strikers split the goalscoring fairly evenly, somewhere between 12 & 15, I'd say.

Very often though, especially in the lower leagues, one prolific goalscorer (circa 20 goals) gives you a huge advantage.
Probably the most unbelievable news I've heard in football:

Joe Cole, former West Ham, Liverpool, Chelsea and England man, signs for Coventry.

Quick Reply

Latest