Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Had my first major wobble (I.e. Tears!) today. Had a uni tutor observation and thought it had gone really well. They then spent 45 minutes telling me everything that I should have done differently (not ONE positive mentioned!) and then gave me good overall with two 1's?! Feeling like if it was good why **** it off so much?! I really thought I had done enough for outstanding (have got this 3 times on internal obs and felt like this lesson ticked all the boxes on each standard according to the chart they gave us at the start) and this has made me feel like the uni just won't give me a 1? Anyone else feeling like this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobble1987)
    Had my first major wobble (I.e. Tears!) today. Had a uni tutor observation and thought it had gone really well. They then spent 45 minutes telling me everything that I should have done differently (not ONE positive mentioned!) and then gave me good overall with two 1's?! Feeling like if it was good why **** it off so much?! I really thought I had done enough for outstanding (have got this 3 times on internal obs and felt like this lesson ticked all the boxes on each standard according to the chart they gave us at the start) and this has made me feel like the uni just won't give me a 1? Anyone else feeling like this?
    Maybe the uni are reluctant to give you a 1, because you still have 2nd placement to go, so they want to make sure you keep on improving. Personally I'd swap with you, I'd be ecstatic to get 2, well done you . I got serious cause for concern because of my professionalism, my book marking wasn't regular enough and that my lesson plans and powerpoint wasn't submitted at least 48hrs before each and every lesson. I have 2 weeks to correct these otherwise I will fail my 1st placement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peony flowers)
    Has anyone bought Twinkl premium membership? I can't decide... on the one hand, valid for a year and awesome resources. On the other, £50
    I got it! It's pretty cool to not have to worry about what you can get... I kept seeing stuff I thought was cool and then finding it was premium. It's certainly something you can do without if the money is a stretch, but little bits can be very handy.

xxx
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by myrtille)
    That's a weird thing for your university to say - I don't know anyone who plans a week ahead. I'm NQT+1 and I still plan some of my lessons the night before. On Sundays I plan Monday/Tuesday/most of Wednesday/the odd bit of Thursday/Friday if I have a brainwave. Then on Monday nights I continue with Wednesday's planning, on Tuesdays I finish Wednesday/start Thursday, etc.

I don't think you can plan that far ahead until you know exactly how the intervening lessons went. For example, I teach Y11 on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I normally plan their Monday and Tuesday lessons at the weekend, but wait 'til Tuesday night to plan Wednesday's lesson, based on how much we got through previously.

Obviously its not great to be running out of time to plan and staying up late to finish tomorrow's lessons. But my colleagues and I all do at least some of our planning the night before and that's including very experienced teachers.

One thing that really helps is outlining all your lessons for a term (just with a lesson topic) so that when you sit down to plan, you know at least roughly what you'll be doing.
    Science teachers tend to have to plan further in advance than other teachers, as they need to request experiments from the technicians in good time for everything to be ready (in my department this is the Wednesday before, but others can be sooner than that).

ReputationRep:
    Arghh, I had really terrible lesson(poor differentiation, did not challenge the pupils enough).I got told it would of been unsatisfactory if It were a formal observation.

Feel so stressed out, I have to mark mock exams as well as preparing for lessons tomorrow. I feel like going home to my warm bed and cry( or shout) to my pillow if I'm being honest.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    Just been told that I have a formal observation tomorrow with ITT coordinator and mentor because next week's observation isn't possible now.

Feel so sick with worry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Just been told that I have a formal observation tomorrow with ITT coordinator and mentor because next week's observation isn't possible now.

Feel so sick with worry

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Youll be fine, just stay calm and so your best.

ReputationRep:
    Lessons for thursday which I need to send 24 hours in advance, but, I've lost all motivation... I emailed my tutors the other day saying that I just feel tired and stressed.

It's not that I don't want to teach, it's just I don't know if I think I can teach.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Youll be fine, just stay calm and so your best.
    I'm still not ready. I'm struggling with teaching 22 pupils at different stages of their projects in a way that's going to come off as a good observed lesson. I want to look as though I'm in control and collected but they're going to ask me a thousand questions a second just because they can.

I'm thinking
    • Starter: assess your current grade according to my checklist of requirements
    • Main: complete a few skills required to finish but also record a couple of screen tutorials now for those wanting to extend their work further. walk around room and give each pupil a suggestion on what they can improve
    • Plenary: something literacyish since it's a major trainee focus over the past couple of weeks. quiz? whiteboards? wordsearches?

I was going to use a piratepad with them for the plenary but now that I'm being observed and formally recorded I don't want to risk them writing naughty things/me losing control/the system exploding.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still not ready. I'm struggling with teaching 22 pupils at different stages of their projects in a way that's going to come off as a good observed lesson. I want to look as though I'm in control and collected but they're going to ask me a thousand questions a second just because they can.

I'm thinking
    • Starter: assess your current grade according to my checklist of requirements
    • Main: complete a few skills required to finish but also record a couple of screen tutorials now for those wanting to extend their work further. walk around room and give each pupil a suggestion on what they can improve
    • Plenary: something literacyish since it's a major trainee focus over the past couple of weeks. quiz? whiteboards? wordsearches?

I was going to use a piratepad with them for the plenary but now that I'm being observed and formally recorded I don't want to risk them writing naughty things/me losing control/the system exploding.
    Ok, so when ive been doing spreadsheets with my guys ive been differentiating by producing 3 seperate worksheets Bronze - fewer questions, more guidance on the task EXT move on to silver questions. Silver - more questions, less guidance but key words still highlighted, questions require slightly more thinking, short extension and if they complete that try the extension on the gold sheet. Gold - same amount of questions but harder, no guidance, more indepth extension task....
    Plenary, ive been doing abcd quiz's with my y7's and 8's and they really respond to that, plus means you can check and consolidate learning on key words/definitions/actions etc
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Ok, so when ive been doing spreadsheets with my guys ive been differentiating by producing 3 seperate worksheets Bronze - fewer questions, more guidance on the task EXT move on to silver questions. Silver - more questions, less guidance but key words still highlighted, questions require slightly more thinking, short extension and if they complete that try the extension on the gold sheet. Gold - same amount of questions but harder, no guidance, more indepth extension task....
    Plenary, ive been doing abcd quiz's with my y7's and 8's and they really respond to that, plus means you can check and consolidate learning on key words/definitions/actions etc

Oooooh! Thanks for that. Will see what I can add in

ReputationRep:
    Oooooh! Thanks for that. Will see what I can add in
    No probs, also my mentor gave me a handy hint for observations. Give them all the gold sheet at the beginning and try the first question, they assess their own understanding and can step down a level if they want, but pinpoint the ones you know could do gold and encourage them to stick by it, but by issuing all with gold and getting them to decide to go down a level you're showing that your expectations for their learning is higher and you're getting them to analyse their own ability (does that make sense?)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    Went to bed last night, woke up early this morning and worked during my commute too. I then get on the bus that my pupils are usually on and they told me their IT lesson has been cancelled today.

I want to just cry.

ReputationRep:
    Went to bed last night, woke up early this morning and worked during my commute too. I then get on the bus that my pupils are usually on and they told me their IT lesson has been cancelled today.

I want to just cry.
    Oh what?! I want to cry for you!! I hate it when things like that happen. Are they sure? Why wouldn't you have been told?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Oh what?! I want to cry for you!! I hate it when things like that happen. Are they sure? Why wouldn't you have been told?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I asked my ITT co-ordinator as soon as I got in and she confirmed it's been cancelled. At least they'll have a brilliant lesson on Friday even if it isn't assessed. Now I've found out that I only have:

4 lessons with my year 7s instead of the 5 I thought I had. And three of those are assessed.
    2 lessons with year 9 but the majority are away on Friday and I'll have an observation next week with them.
    2 lessons with the year 8s that I'm starting with tomorrow and I'm being observed with them next lesson.
    2 with year 10 but they're doing controlled assessment.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone please tell me just one important thing that I can't seem to be able to find out about anywhere - Can I fail my first PGCE placement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROLOTOMASI)
    Can anyone please tell me just one important thing that I can't seem to be able to find out about anywhere - Can I fail my first PGCE placement?
    I think you can, yes, however your school/university usually mark you as a cause for concern first and then put into place an intervention support plan to give you a chance to improve.

ReputationRep:
    So tomorrow is choca with stress. I have an observation of my y8 lesson by my mentor (she told me this morning and ended the sentence with "surprise!") then i have to drive to a school ive applied for a job for september at who invited me in for a tour and "informal chat" :/ ive thought up a few questions but no idea whether ill hit their mark!

ReputationRep:
    Ugh I'm so stressed out now. I have been off school all week ill. Feeling a bit better now though, but it meant I had to cancel my uni tutor visit. I am in the process of trying to reorganise it, which was hard enough to start with, let alone without my mentor telling me she is gonna be off a couple of weeks now! This means that the tripartite review I'm supposed to have with my mentor and uni tutor can't really happen. My mentor has suggested another teacher but this teacher has only seen me teach one class so I don't feel he can comment on my progress.

It's generally just a really bad situation. I dunno what's gonna happen :/

ReputationRep:
    I have been teaching for more than thirty years and was a subject mentor for two different universities for eight years and this thread makes me realise I would never pass a PGCE nowadays. I pity all of you, I sincerely do. Good luck to all of you.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.