Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you adjust for age then this for Nadal is Fed's 2010 season and for Djokovic, Fed's 2009 season. So at the end of 2010 he had 16 slams to Nadal's 14 and to the end of 2009 he had 15 slams to Djokovic's 10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    If you adjust for age then this for Nadal is Fed's 2010 season and for Djokovic, Fed's 2009 season. So at the end of 2010 he had 16 slams to Nadal's 14 and to the end of 2009 he had 15 slams to Djokovic's 10.
    You're forgetting that Djokovic has had to deal with a peak Nadal, a peak Murray, Wawrinka in the last couple of years, as well as Federer who is still playing great tennis for his age (though admittedly not as good as 7-9 years ago). From 04 to 07, Federer had no competition. His toughest competition on non-clay courts was Roddick lol. Djokovic's 10 slams are worth more like 20 with the difficulty of opponents he has had to face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welcometoib)
    lets focus on the actual important tournaments, whats federers record vs novak and nadal in grand slams? both combined have been whooping his backside since 09, even further back tbh. You are just completely nonsensical, Federer fans are delusional of the highest order, he isnt winning another slam, get over it. Federer last won at 31, do we win participation medals now? A final isnt a grand slam win last time I checked.
    He is 34 you ****. He isn't supposed to win a slam at that age. The fact that he is making finals at this stage of his career is impressive. Most Federer fans don't expect him to win a slam anyway. We are just happy to see him play. Federer's record is 6-8 against Djokovic in slams with three defeats coming in the last two years where Federer was the massive underdog. Learn to respect all tennis players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    You're forgetting that Djokovic has had to deal with a peak Nadal, a peak Murray, Wawrinka in the last couple of years, as well as Federer who is still playing great tennis for his age (though admittedly not as good as 7-9 years ago). From 04 to 07, Federer had no competition. His toughest competition on non-clay courts was Roddick lol. Djokovic's 10 slams are worth more like 20 with the difficulty of opponents he has had to face.
    Roddick has a winning record over Djokovic. And if Federer dominated in a weak era then he is a weak champion which means that he isn't a tough competition for Djokovic so don't use him to big up Djokovic's competition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    I really hope Novak gets the recognition he deserves sooner rather than later, it must be hard to have the crowd always cheer against you and I think he did a great job of handling that during the final, a lot better than most would anyway. It's a shame some people can't appreciate other people's achievements whether it's the no. of slams won or consistency in challenging for slams and still being at the top of the game. Everyone is welcome to have a favourite player but a little respect here and there definitely wouldn't go amiss.
    When he came on the scene, Federer and Nadal already were very popular so it was always going to tough for him to have the crowd on his side especially when he is playing against them. Also, these days Federer is an underdog against Novak and most people like to see underdogs cause an upset so Fed is an even bigger crowd favourite than before. Don't worry when Novak is at the end of his career, he would be a massive crowd favourite too. He is already very popular in his own right and as he starts to decline, more and more people will start to like him.

ReputationRep:
    I really hope Novak gets the recognition he deserves sooner rather than later, it must be hard to have the crowd always cheer against you and I think he did a great job of handling that during the final, a lot better than most would anyway. It's a shame some people can't appreciate other people's achievements whether it's the no. of slams won or consistency in challenging for slams and still being at the top of the game. Everyone is welcome to have a favourite player but a little respect here and there definitely wouldn't go amiss.
    Sadly I don't think it will change any time soon. I don't think even after Federer retires Djokovic will reap up the fandom. There are some frankly dumb people out there who swear to never watching tennis again after FedEx retires. I mean, doesn't that sound absolutely irrational?

Novak is unlucky because of three reasons - he came after the era of Fedal; he beats Federer all the time in the slams; and he's Serbian. It was always going to be tough for someone like Djokovic to follow that act, but people hate him even more for beating Federer when it matters the most. Let's not forget, before Djokovic had the target on his back it was Nadal who had to deal year in year out (especially at the French), and even then Rafa still had his supporters. Even in the 08 Wimbledon final I reckon the crowd was as even as 60-40 Fed/Rafa compared to the 90/10 ratio Djoker has to put up with. I think it took Nole longer to cope with not being the crowd favourite as he's very charismatic, but he's clearly getting there. Nadal was always preternaturally capable of shutting out his surroundings, but thank God neither of them were mental weaklings otherwise Federer would have 30 slams and we'd be watching an incredibly boring, un-competitive sport. The aversion to plurality in the game is what I find ... irrational.

Then there's the fact he's Serbian, a suggestion which some people might disagree with, but I genuinely think plays a role. Federer is for a lot of people the epitome of the sophisticated, refined European gentleman; Djokovic to people is the cold, machinistic Eastern European who came out of nowhere to humiliate Federer's class of landed gentry. Nadal has that fire and Latinate passion that a lot of people identify with (especially among the Latin American community in New York), but Djokovic, for all his personality, wit and humour people refuse to warm to. Their loss I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    F*cking thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirocco11)
    Sadly I don't think it will change any time soon. I don't think even after Federer retires Djokovic will reap up the fandom. There are some frankly dumb people out there who swear to never watching tennis again after FedEx retires. I mean, doesn't that sound absolutely irrational?

Novak is unlucky because of three reasons - he came after the era of Fedal; he beats Federer all the time in the slams; and he's Serbian. It was always going to be tough for someone like Djokovic to follow that act, but people hate him even more for beating Federer when it matters the most. Let's not forget, before Djokovic had the target on his back it was Nadal who had to deal year in year out (especially at the French), and even then Rafa still had his supporters. Even in the 08 Wimbledon final I reckon the crowd was as even as 60-40 Fed/Rafa compared to the 90/10 ratio Djoker has to put up with. I think it took Nole longer to cope with not being the crowd favourite as he's very charismatic, but he's clearly getting there. Nadal was always preternaturally capable of shutting out his surroundings, but thank God neither of them were mental weaklings otherwise Federer would have 30 slams and we'd be watching an incredibly boring, un-competitive sport. The aversion to plurality in the game is what I find ... irrational.

Then there's the fact he's Serbian, a suggestion which some people might disagree with, but I genuinely think plays a role. Federer is for a lot of people the epitome of the sophisticated, refined European gentleman; Djokovic to people is the cold, machinistic Eastern European who came out of nowhere to humiliate Federer's class of landed gentry. Nadal has that fire and Latinate passion that a lot of people identify with (especially among the Latin American community in New York), but Djokovic, for all his personality, wit and humour people refuse to warm to. Their loss I guess.
    Thank you as well. Fantastically said.

ReputationRep:
    Just want to add everyone who thinks Djoker is a bad guy needs to look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snEPFEu54BY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirocco11)

This and the unfair demonisation he receives in the media. The best thing he can do is just keep his head down and keep winning at the end of the day that's what his ultimate goal is and what his career will get judged on, not how many people he has cheering for him.

ReputationRep:
    This and the unfair demonisation he receives in the media. The best thing he can do is just keep his head down and keep winning at the end of the day that's what his ultimate goal is and what his career will get judged on, not how many people he has cheering for him.
    So sick when media trash him simply because he shouted. I can't imagine the pressure of playing at his level. I get extremely nervous just watching his games (die hard Djokovic fan, admittedly). And then they s*it on him because he lets some of the negative energy out so it doesn't mess up his game. So pathetic. And of course they ignore his humbling speeches and respect of opponents no matter if he wins or loses. He even gave away f*cking points away when he didn't have to just because he's a true sportsman. But no, it's important how terrible it is that he shouts sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrno1324)
    People don't like a random Eastern European destroying the champions they're used to. I mean Fed ruled till 2009 and people loved him for it and I guess those feelings still remain. I wish they'd grow up, realise it's time for him to retire and start supporting other players.
    why should they realise its time for him to retire?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatMadClown)
    why should they realise its time for him to retire?
    Because he's 34, past his prime and we would all benefit to stop d*ck riding him?

ReputationRep:
    Because he's 34, past his prime and we would all benefit to stop d*ck riding him?
    I understand where you're coming from but it is his decision as to when he retires. His true fans (the non-fanatical ones) enjoy watching him compete and do not try to put others down. He might well stay around for another 3-4 years. Same with Nadal, who has also attracted a huge cult following over the years.

ReputationRep:
    I think he has the right to call it quits on his own career don't you think? even if he's past his prime who cares? he still enjoys playing the game and many of his fans still enjoy watching him play, whether he wins or not, people have the right to support who they want to support.

ReputationRep:
    Federer is a beast yes but how on earth can people not love the passion of nadal and the magic of novak fro the baseline? The wars that both of those, nadal pre injury, needed to break them down? Serve and volley or ridiculous rallies of sheer power? How can someone not appreciate the later more?

ReputationRep:
    Federer is a beast yes but how on earth can people not love the passion of nadal and the magic of novak fro the baseline? The wars that both of those, nadal pre injury, needed to break them down? Serve and volley or ridiculous rallies of sheer power? How can someone not appreciate the later more?
    Who says people don't? I do enjoy their play for the most part - Nadal also attracts a huge number of faithful followers and fanatics by the way, it's just Djokovic who seems to get overlooked. But as I've pointed out already he will get his appreciation eventually. Some (not all) Fed/Nadal fans are particularly annoying, nothing much can be done about it.
    In terms of game style, I still kind of miss the all-court games that we used to see but this era of baseliners is here to stay for sure. Maybe someone will eventually come and show us all that it is possible to dominate the game back at the net.

ReputationRep:
    theres more to tennis than just baseline bashing

ReputationRep:
    Why the **** is that bigoted prick Dan Evans getting to play in place of James Ward in this Davis Cup tie?! Ward is a better player, got us past the Americans and would definitely get us through to the final. Evans is **** compared to Kokkinakis and Tomic, so he very well may lose it for us.

Edit: Fair play, it was a decent match against Tomic.

ReputationRep:
    Leon Smith gave a fair rationale as to why he played Evans. but I still would have gone with Ward, who has proven his quality on the big stage. Tomic is a solid top 30 players these days so it was still more likely he would win the tie. The doubles rubber tomorrow suddenly just became incredibly crucial.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.