Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick tip for anyone who's looking for routes between London and Newcastle for King's/Newcastle interview what with the replacement bus service over the weekend of the 8th - there's a Grand Central trains service between London King's Cross and Sunderland station, Sunderland is about a 30 minute ride on the Metro train from Newcastle Central Station. It does take longer than the London-Newcastle service, but it avoids Darlington so probably faster given the replacement bus service and Grand Central is also often cheaper. Might not be useful to anyone but I thought I'd post it for anyone who doesn't know the area and is still to book transport.

ReputationRep:
    Where have people been going to read up on the junior doctor contract changed and debate for interview prep?

Can anyone recommend any good articles or good websites to go on? I'm reading the news daily and have kept on top of the main talking points but would love some help to further direct my reading? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! Wanted to wish you all the best of luck with the application process this year. I was in your situation this time last year and I'm now at Nottingham! It is possible!!! If anyone wants to ask me any questions feel free to message on here or private message me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Men)
    Hi everyone! Wanted to wish you all the best of luck with the application process this year. I was in your situation this time last year and I'm now at Nottingham! It is possible!!! If anyone wants to ask me any questions feel free to message on here or private message me
    Nice of you to offer

How's the course going?

I would also be interested to know how Nottingham make their admissions decisions if possible please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieGEM)
    Nice of you to offer

How's the course going?

I would also be interested to know how Nottingham make their admissions decisions if possible please?
    Yeah it's great but the workload is pretty intense (as to be expected)... Well with Notts if you make the GAMSAT cut off then you get an email to complete a work experience questionnaire (which I think was sent by this time last year). If you meet their criteria for work experience (not sure what this is) then you get invited to interview. Interviews last year were in March time and were in an MMI format. Once you have finished the interview they score you on things like work experience, passion to be a doctor etc etc and based on the score they send out roughly 110 offers for the 87 places and 16 people get put on a waiting list. You get feedback from them too which is nice saying how you scored in the different sections.

I didn't find the MMI's too bad at Nottingham, they were all really friendly.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's great but the workload is pretty intense (as to be expected)... Well with Notts if you make the GAMSAT cut off then you get an email to complete a work experience questionnaire (which I think was sent by this time last year). If you meet their criteria for work experience (not sure what this is) then you get invited to interview. Interviews last year were in March time and were in an MMI format. Once you have finished the interview they score you on things like work experience, passion to be a doctor etc etc and based on the score they send out roughly 110 offers for the 87 places and 16 people get put on a waiting list. You get feedback from them too which is nice saying how you scored in the different sections.

I didn't find the MMI's too bad at Nottingham, they were all really friendly.
    Thanks for that

I have passed the GAMSAT cut off and got the work experience questionnaire so hopefully my work experience is good enough.

Do you know if the GAMSAT just a hurdle or is that scored too please?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that

I have passed the GAMSAT cut off and got the work experience questionnaire so hopefully my work experience is good enough.

Do you know if the GAMSAT just a hurdle or is that scored too please?
    GAMSAT is just a hurdle to get to interview. It will only be used again if you are tied with someone on interview points.

ReputationRep:
    GAMSAT is just a hurdle to get to interview. It will only be used again if you are tied with someone on interview points.
    Thanks for the info

ReputationRep:
    So, regarding the junior doctor contract, besides being paid overall less money for the work they do (depending on hours worked), what else is wrong with it? I mean, they can't legally work/be paid for over 48 hours a week, even though most of them do, but I've seen some of the doctors complaining that it isn't fair and that an overworked workforce will result in them causing more mistakes, therefore jeopardising patient welfare... Of course I am against the new contract and believe that it is outrageous the way they've tried to reclassify what 'unsocial working hours' are, as well as the fact that they are no longer being paid according to the time they've been in the job and now instead based on where they are in their training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoeADeer)
    So, regarding the junior doctor contract, besides being paid overall less money for the work they do (depending on hours worked), what else is wrong with it? I mean, they can't legally work/be paid for over 48 hours a week, even though most of them do, but I've seen some of the doctors complaining that it isn't fair and that an overworked workforce will result in them causing more mistakes, therefore jeopardising patient welfare... Of course I am against the new contract and believe that it is outrageous the way they've tried to reclassify what 'unsocial working hours' are, as well as the fact that they are no longer being paid according to the time they've been in the job and now instead based on where they are in their training.
    They are removing the current controls on hours were the trusts are fined for breaching total working hours caps with a much weaker monitoring system that is open to abuse.

ReputationRep:
    They are removing the current controls on hours were the trusts are fined for breaching total working hours caps with a much weaker monitoring system that is open to abuse.
    Oooh I wasn't aware of that. I thought it was an EU law. Where can I read up more about this? Cheers for the reply btw! Nice to be able to talk and think through something which is likely to come up in our interviews.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh I wasn't aware of that. I thought it was an EU law. Where can I read up more about this? Cheers for the reply btw! Nice to be able to talk and think through something which is likely to come up in our interviews.
    Probably the most friendly one is http://m.bma.org.uk/working-for-chan...is-for-juniors
    I've read a fair few different bits of literature on it and sort of picked out bits from a number of them. Basically it appears they are replacing regular monitoring rounds with a work review system at the beginning and end of a rotation (not representative of normal working patterns) and triggered by a grievance procedure. Of course doctors would be reluctant to file a grievance.

ReputationRep:
    Then it's not clear what happens if a trust is found to be overworking its doctors
    http://m.bma.org.uk/working-for-chan...tal-safeguards

ReputationRep:
    Then for a decent summary
    http://m.bma.org.uk/-/media/files/pd...2015.pdf?la=en

Unfortunately stuck on a night shift on New Year's Day

ReputationRep:
    Then for a decent summary
    http://m.bma.org.uk/-/media/files/pd...2015.pdf?la=en

Unfortunately stuck on a night shift on New Year's Day
    Aw thank you very much!! Ah that sucks Think of it as training yourself up for the many night shifts you'll encounter as a doctor

ReputationRep:
    Aw thank you very much!! Ah that sucks Think of it as training yourself up for the many night shifts you'll encounter as a doctor
    Thanks would quite look forward to not having to work every single Christmas, Boxing Day, New Year's Eve etc if I manage to get into medical school and qualify as a doctor

I don't really like the sound of the new contract but it wouldn't affect my decision to train as a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    So I have an interview at Warwick on 7th and have just been sorting the DBS documents. My bank statement (for proof of address) is dated 15th October and so is only within the 3 months for 8 days after my interview. I've turned off paper statements a while ago because I forgot I'd need them for things like this. Anyone know if I can request a proper statement copy in a branch? Or if the one I have will be okay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Creatingchaos)
    So I have an interview at Warwick on 7th and have just been sorting the DBS documents. My bank statement (for proof of address) is dated 15th October and so is only within the 3 months for 8 days after my interview. I've turned off paper statements a while ago because I forgot I'd need them for things like this. Anyone know if I can request a proper statement copy in a branch? Or if the one I have will be okay?
    You can just go into your bank and ask for them to print you one off

ReputationRep:
    You can just go into your bank and ask for them to print you one off
    I have just tweeted the bank and they said that I'll be able to get one in the branch but it won't be like a full copy statement, ah! Stressing now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Creatingchaos)
    I have just tweeted the bank and they said that I'll be able to get one in the branch but it won't be like a full copy statement, ah! Stressing now
    Ring inland revenue and ask them to send you print out of your tax code. Problem solved. (was told about this trick last time i applied for a dbs)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.