Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Think MUTD should have kept Di Maria though, with their current squad and Di Maria in they looked strong tbf.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone see that goal Koke scored from a corner? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I can trust Flamini and Arteta to help close out matches and start as DM against lesser teams but question marks remain over how effective they can be starting important matches.

Another major concern is that Coq needs someone who can actually mount real challenge against him for his spot. He needs competition. Wenger has never favoured Jack in the DM/DLP role, he values his attacking qualities and burst of pace in central midfield too much so I don't see Jack being a realistic solution there.

ReputationRep:
    Why would lewandowski sign for arsenal when he is at Bayern and not in a position where he is being forced out?

Chambo can play cdm too, there are options. Or play jack and aaron as 2 b2b instead as city often do

ReputationRep:
    If we're gonna not sign a CDM cos "Jack or Ox can play there", then we might as well not sign a striker, for the exact same reason.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, we don't have a truly outstamding striker, we do have an outstanding cdm. Also, on the whole our attacking players have suffered much more in terms of injury than our cdm (bar Diaby ofc) as we need more depth solid there. Goroud has been ok on the whole but think about the past 2 seasons, ox, walcott, poldi, hell even gnabry have suffered large layoffs.

Imo coq is likely to play over 30 pl games this season, I'd expect giroud, samchez, ox and walcott to almost all suffer an injury of sorts which will leave them out for a month or two if not worse.

What I'm trying to get at is it is likely that welbeck or gnabry or a cm will have to play at least 10 games on the wing, whereas flam and Arteta are unlikely to start more than 5 which isn't a problem against bottom half fodder anyway

ReputationRep:
    We need both CDM and striker, just imagine (God forbid) Coq picking up a serious injury against West Ham, them man are going to be slacking in defensive midfield (Flam,Arteta) simply because they haven't got the powerhorse workrate of Coquelin and then we are back to square one. Not to mention our CL games relying on Arteta and Flamini to start, anyway where's my man Bielik at fammm.

By the way of course I wasn't serious about Lewandowski and Reus, we aren't going to sign anyone else this transfer window by the looks of it.

ReputationRep:
    Sp what cdm is available? Just curious

ReputationRep:
    Lars Bender? Let's be honest, Arsenal fans walking around with Bender on the back of the shirt would be an upgrade on some of the nonces that were at the Community Shield

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Sp what cdm is available? Just curious
    Bender brothers, Illarramendi or Krychowiak off the top of my head.

Plently of obscure players out there tbh. To do play DM well isn't as demanding as people think it's a relatively simple position.

ReputationRep:
    Bender, Matuidi, Gary Medel etc

ReputationRep:
    Carvalho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Bender brothers, Illarramendi or Krychowiak off the top of my head.

Plently of obscure players out there tbh. To do play DM well isn't as demanding as people think it's a relatively simple position.
    The Bender brothers are perpetually injured, but Illaramendi and Krychowiak are good options, although I'm not sure Madrid would be happy letting Illara go.

ReputationRep:
    Carvalho injured, bender brothers injury prone and unlikely to leave their clubs. Illaramendi also unikely to leave madrid.

Kondogbia is a shout but not a solid ot and out cdm somilar to sneiderlin.

Thing is none of these players add £20mil in quality to our squad imo, which is what they would cost or more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    The Bender brothers are perpetually injured, but Illaramendi and Krychowiak are good options, although I'm not sure Madrid would be happy letting Illara go.
    Fair point about the Bender brothers. Madrid brought in Lucas Silva at the end of last season and Casemiro this summer, looking at it objectivly there isn't alot of playing available to him.

On a separate note i'd like to see Denis Cheryshev in the PL. If Utd was smart they'd be going for him instead of Pedro

ReputationRep:
    Kondogbia has just signed for Inter so yeah, he ain't coming anytime soon. Either Matuidi and Gary Medel would fit the bill nicely.

ReputationRep:
    Fair point about the Bender brothers. Madrid brought in Lucas Silva at the end of last season and Casemiro this summer, looking at it objectivly there isn't alot of playing available to him.

On a separate note i'd like to see Denis Cheryshev in the PL. If Utd was smart they'd be going for him instead of Pedro
    Madrid have had Casemiro since 2013, they just loaned him out to Porto last season, and I don't think he'd be any more than a cup player this year. Lucas Silva looks quality, but he is more of a CM than a defensive midfielder. Illaramendi got around 40 appearances last season but most were from the bench, and I think I remember hearing that he is lined up for a Liverpool transfer which is unfortunate.

Cheryshev looks great and apparently we're duking it out with Liverpool for him. Not sure how big he would be in our team (last Russian winger/forward we got burned out pretty quickly), but Pedro is far and away a superior player. United would be mental to turn him down for Denis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Madrid have had Casemiro since 2013, they just loaned him out to Porto last season, and I don't think he'd be any more than a cup player this year. Lucas Silva looks quality, but he is more of a CM than a defensive midfielder. Illaramendi got around 40 appearances last season but most were from the bench, and I think I remember hearing that he is lined up for a Liverpool transfer which is unfortunate.

Cheryshev looks great and apparently we're duking it out with Liverpool for him. Not sure how big he would be in our team (last Russian winger/forward we got burned out pretty quickly), but Pedro is far and away a superior player. United would be mental to turn him down for Denis.
    I can Imagine Pedro being pretty effective for one season before he starts to decline. This time next year he'll be 29 not sure how much he can offer United before they get bored and shaft him to the subs bench but with Cheryshev there scope for Improvement, in terms of ability he's probably currently a level below Depay tbh

ReputationRep:
    I can Imagine Pedro being pretty effective for one season before he starts to decline. This time next year he'll be 29 not sure how much he can offer United before they get bored and shaft him to the subs bench but with Cheryshev there scope for Improvement, in terms of ability he's probably currently a level below Depay tbh
    Pedro will be good for another year or two, he wouldn't have much competition in the way of out-and-out wingers in the United squad, and even then he's better than anything they currently have (unless Depay seriously advances over the next year). Cheryshev is 25 I believe (?) so he does have a few years on Pedro to learn and improve, but I'll be honest, nothing I have seen from him tells me he'll be top, top class, or even that he'll reach the levels Arshavin was at for a brief while. He'd be an upgrade for us on someone like Joel Campbell, or someone like Januzaj for United, but wouldn't be a guaranteed starter.

ReputationRep:
    Petr Cech will be rememberer more as an Arsenal man than as a chelsea boy.

Seaman:

Lehmann:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 8, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.