Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    With that tariff ... i do not see why not? well done
    Thanks! But do they have a cut off point? I'm concerned about my quite low UKCAT score...

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I recently did my ukcat and got an average of 680, whilst I know this is not bad I have concerns about applying to queen Mary and kings (especially as their guidance has been upto 735 😬😬😬). I received 11A*s and 2 As for GCSE, 5As in AS and am predicted 3A* and A for A2 plus I do EPQ.How do my chances hold for the London universities?
    Any advice would be much appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mithi98)
    Thanks! But do they have a cut off point? I'm concerned about my quite low UKCAT score...
    no they do not have a cut off point, even if they did it would be lower than your score.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I've been practising for the past few weeks and just went thorugh thr whole 1000q and uni admissions book once and been doign a bit of medify. After i went through Mock A i was scared cause i ended up doing poorly and freaked out then after reading through this thread and talking to a few people who took the test as well I felt better cause any ended up doing not soo good in their Mock A and did well i nthe real exam. Also I saw many people were struggling with VR and I was in the same shoes. But after talking to a few people I decided to go ahead with the technique of not reading the text and going straight for the questions and skimming the passage for the matter. What i realized is after the first skim you kind of make a mind plot of where other stuff are so you can jsut look there for the next questions. I tried the same thing before but never did well now ive been practising medify VR and what i realized which drastically increased the percentage of my right answers was that instead of freaking out about the time and thinking that I wont be able to finish I just took a deep breath before starting, calmed myself and looked at the question just looked through the passage looking at words and as soon as i felt something looked important regarding the question Id pay more attention and it just looks more ...idk right... So the next question I kind of have the idea of where to look and considering the avg time people took to answer the question I didn't use much time and I got a majority right as well. I feel like the best advice anyone can give for VR is to not stress out and just calmly start and stick with the flow just thought I should let others know of how i was struggling and how I could change that. Good luck everyone. Got my UKCAT in exactly a week from now ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marsbar3007)
    they don't give you the score in the actual test?! What do they give you !? :-0
    You get the score for vr, qr,ar and your band for sj. Decision Analysis isn't written on your sheet at all

ReputationRep:
    This is just an observation after reading 100's of comments on here about 'whether my score is good enough'. I know it's stressful but a lot of the people on here are the top of the top, I wouldn't really say getting a score of 750 is average per say. I've spoken to a couple of unis regarding their UKCAT entry scores for dentistry and they advised that the cut off is around 600, it may be different for medicine and of course other unis but it's only one factor of an application. I don't know if this will be helpful but I thought it may be slightly reassuring for those worrying they're not getting like 700+.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marsbar3007)
    Thank you :-))) last question, sorry! Did you finish in time in QR or before time or did have to leave some questions out ?
    I finished in time, but there were a few questions that I would liked to have gone back on that I did guess.

ReputationRep:
    For those that have taken the exam already please can you answer my qs, thanks;
    Q1) For VR how many do you need to get right to get 600+, were there mostly 4 paragraphed questions? and of how many lines?
    Q2) For QR, were there any long questions with monstrous passages
    Q3) For SJT how many do you need to get correct out of 69 to get Band 2, what are the marks awarded for partially correct answers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sniperdon227)
    For those that have taken the exam already please can you answer my qs, thanks;
    Q1) For VR how many do you need to get right to get 600+, were there mostly 4 paragraphed questions? and of how many lines?
    Q2) For QR, were there any long questions with monstrous passages
    Q3) For SJT how many do you need to get correct out of 69 to get Band 2, what are the marks awarded for partially correct answers?

Q1) The passages were long and obscure (to me anyway) I scored 600, which is just above half right. Most the passaes were 3 - 4 paragraphs long.
    Q2) QR questions were easy but really long.
    Q3) I got band 3 for SJ which is about 50% right i think. To get band 2, you'd need about 65 -75%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammie123)
    I finished in time, but there were a few questions that I would liked to have gone back on that I did guess.
    Okay thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm in yr 13 and like many others was hoping for applying medicine. I have pleanty of work experience and have reflected on them to create a good ps and GCSEs are 7A* 2A 1B(French) and alevel prediction of A*A*A in bio,chem maths respectively. But did my UKCAT and only got 635 average (kind of had a bad day) so kinda unsure about where my chances lie anymore in medicine. Definitely considering doing BMAT but I would appreciate it if ppl know what unis would be best for me to apply to with my stats??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basdemraj)
    Hey guys, I'm in yr 13 and like many others was hoping for applying medicine. I have pleanty of work experience and have reflected on them to create a good ps and GCSEs are 7A* 2A 1B(French) and alevel prediction of A*A*A in bio,chem maths respectively. But did my UKCAT and only got 635 average (kind of had a bad day) so kinda unsure about where my chances lie anymore in medicine. Definitely considering doing BMAT but I would appreciate it if ppl know what unis would be best for me to apply to with my stats??
    Keele would be one that suits you I think.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain the Medify mock scoring. I took the Verbal Reasoning mini mock and scored 900 despite only answering 25 out of 44 (due to timing) although I got all correct.
    I wouldn't have thought just over half could score 900 so I assume a glitch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASupertramp)
    Can anyone explain the Medify mock scoring. I took the Verbal Reasoning mini mock and scored 900 despite only answering 25 out of 44 (due to timing) although I got all correct.
    I wouldn't have thought just over half could score 900 so I assume a glitch?
    Yeah lol most probably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niraxas)
    Yeah lol most probably
    Or, we could kid ourselves into thinking half correct = 100%!

ReputationRep:
    I have exactly one week left i kinda went through the ISC 1000q book once and the 1200q uniadmissions book once. These 7 days left I was wondering if I should just do medify practice questions completely with mocksor do both the books completely once again and then do mocks and just do medify in the time left... Hoping those who took the test and have experience with the book and medify could help me out so I can plan this out

ReputationRep:
    I have exactly one week left i kinda went through the ISC 1000q book once and the 1200q uniadmissions book once. These 7 days left I was wondering if I should just do medify practice questions completely with mocksor do both the books completely once again and then do mocks and just do medify in the time left... Hoping those who took the test and have experience with the book and medify could help me out so I can plan this out
    I would highly recommend medify, I only used it for a week and it really helped me work on timings for the real thing. I would advise not doing absolutely everything physically possible in the last week left as you will be so sick of UKCAT questions by the time the exam comes around.

It depends on how you like to practice, but I'd recommend doing the medify time trials (up to 40qus) a few times a day to get used to the amount of time you will need to concentrate for. But be warned, the medify QR is, in my opinion, harder than the real thing so don't stress out too much if it seems tricky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HMarles)
    I would highly recommend medify, I only used it for a week and it really helped me work on timings for the real thing. I would advise not doing absolutely everything physically possible in the last week left as you will be so sick of UKCAT questions by the time the exam comes around.

It depends on how you like to practice, but I'd recommend doing the medify time trials (up to 40qus) a few times a day to get used to the amount of time you will need to concentrate for. But be warned, the medify QR is, in my opinion, harder than the real thing so don't stress out too much if it seems tricky.
    Heyy thanks a lot for the quick response :') I was wondering the same that if i start doing those books ill lose whatev familiarity i have with using the num calc and the interface plus timings would seem weird later on. The QR in the books is like WAYYYY harder than Medify lol xD Thanks again I'll stick to doing all the practice questions first and then do the mocks and specific section timed parts ^_^ How did you do btw?

ReputationRep:
    Guys are there any unis that credit/value A* predictions/achieved grades at a2.

I've achieved A*A* A at a2. But I have a further C at as level :/. Haven't don't he ukcat yet, I've got it coming up next week. But I've been averaging out at around 670 band 2. My gcse: 6.5A* 5A.

I'd appreciate any help/tips. Also if anyone has a a medify account/subscription that they're not using anymore bc they've done their test, is it possible to share it with me? I'm not expecting anyone to say yes, but it was worth a try bc im running out of material and still struggling.

ReputationRep:
    Heyy thanks a lot for the quick response :' I was wondering the same that if i start doing those books ill lose whatev familiarity i have with using the num calc and the interface plus timings would seem weird later on. The QR in the books is like WAYYYY harder than Medify lol xD Thanks again I'll stick to doing all the practice questions first and then do the mocks and specific section timed parts ^_^ How did you do btw?
    Sounds like a plan. Top tip, don't stress out too much Just have a look at what needs more work and prioritise it and polish it up using medify. It's a great tool.

I did OK. I was a bit ill and got a bad VR but was fine otherwise.
    VR: 680
    QR:850
    AR:690
    SJ: Band 2 :/
    Avg: 740

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.