Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beyrouthi)
    Assalamualaikum!
    Was so surprised to see this thread here
    I am a possible international student from Lebanon and was wondering if anyone would be able to advise me on unis? I'm not sure if I should come to the UK or go somewhere else
    Also any Lebanese people here?
    Wa'alaykumasalaam, welcome to the ISOC?

Ask away
    I think theres 1 Lebanese person who pops up from time to time.

Assalamualaikum!

Was so surprised to see this thread here
    I am a possible international student from Lebanon and was wondering if anyone would be able to advise me on unis? I'm not sure if I should come to the UK or go somewhere else
    Also any Lebanese people here?
    Wa'alaykum Assalaam
    There will be some here to help you with questions insha'Allah.

(Original post by IdeasForLife)
    May Allah reward the bro for all his work. From his fb acc:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I know you feel sad sometimes. I know you feel heartbroken with the situation in Syria. Remember this well..you might not be able to change the world at once BUT you can change one life at a time. To the world, everyone said it was OK for children to die. To us, we believed they didn't! The children and I remain together after 3 years but now in our own village for orphans inside Syria Alhamdulilah. #GoodnessPrevails
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ameen. Alhamdulillah.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by ThatMuslimGuy)

What about school

ReputationRep:
    Wa'alaykumasalaam, welcome to the ISOC?

Ask away
    I think theres 1 Lebanese person who pops up from time to time.
    Thank you very much

I applied to Birmingham and Manchester for UK unis, however I'm also considering studying in France or staying in Lebanon for university. I'm not sure if I want to be that far from my family

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much

I applied to Birmingham and Manchester for UK unis, however I'm also considering studying in France or staying in Lebanon for university. I'm not sure if I want to be that far from my family
    France is becoming increasingly Islamaphobic (more so than other countries perhaps), so I would advise the UK strongly.

ReputationRep:
    relevant : https://youtu.be/tlFiMwH7SSI?t=31m46s

Jzk for this. Some hair? Like so not fully without hijab right?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much

Have you lived far away from family in the past? How much value does the degree in Lebanon have in comparison with the UK and France?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much

Salam alaikum. As a french muslim who has spent a large portion of her life there I highly discourage you from studying in that country. It's insanely islamophobic and makes life extremely hard on muslims. The UK is much more chill in comparison, and brits are generally more tolerant. However, if your family is in Lebanon I would stay there so I can be around them. It might be difficult to be so distant even if its for educational purposes.

ReputationRep:
    Abdullah ibn Utbah reported: I heard Umar ibn Al-Khattab, may Allah be pleased with him, say, “Verily, in the time of the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, the people would be judged by revelation, but the revelation has ended. Now we judge you according to your outward deeds. Whoever shows us good, we will trust him and favor him and it is not for us to judge his inner secrets, for Allah will hold him accountable for those. Whoever shows us evil, then we will not trust him or believe in him even if he claims his intention is good.”

Source: Sahih Bukhari 2498Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to Al-Bukhar

iعَبْدَ اللَّهِ بْنَ عُتْبَةَ قَالَ سَمِعْتُ عُمَرَ بْنَ الْخَطَّابِ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ يَقُولُ إِنَّ أُنَاسًا كَانُوا يُؤْخَذُونَ بِالْوَحْيِ فِي عَهْدِ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ وَإِنَّ الْوَحْيَ قَدْ انْقَطَعَ وَإِنَّمَا نَأْخُذُكُمْ الْآنَ بِمَا ظَهَرَ لَنَا مِنْ أَعْمَالِكُمْ فَمَنْ أَظْهَرَ لَنَا خَيْرًا أَمِنَّاهُ وَقَرَّبْنَاهُ وَلَيْسَ إِلَيْنَا مِنْ سَرِيرَتِهِ شَيْءٌ اللَّهُ يُحَاسِبُهُ فِي سَرِيرَتِهِ وَمَنْ أَظْهَرَ لَنَا سُوءًا لَمْ نَأْمَنْهُ وَلَمْ نُصَدِّقْهُ وَإِنْ قَالَ إِنَّ سَرِيرَتَهُ حَسَنَةٌ2498 صحيح البخاري كِتَاب الشَّهَادَاتِ بَاب الشُّهَدَاءِ الْعُدُولِ

ReputationRep:
    Could i kindly request you not to continue the shia-bashing on the I-Soc? I've kept silent, but this has been occurring over a very extended period of time. I know a number of users who no longer want to use this thread[and have even PM'd me directly to tell me this], because of the hostility by some users. There is a thread that is in place for debates, and as you have posted on it, it would be better if you posted on there rather than continuing to make this thread feel extremely hostile.

(Original post by Boondock Saint)
    They have their own collections of hadith which are solely based on narrations attributed to their Imams and the Ahlul Bayt
    I am only here to address what i regard as statements made that are factually incorrect, or borderline disingenuous.

In Al Kafi alone, there are 2400 ahadith attributed to Rasulullah s.a.w alone in terms of what he said, did, an event that occurred in his life , things about him. I've posted dozens of 'Rasulullah s.a.w said:' on this very thread.

Even when other ahadith do not say 'Rasulullah s.a.w forbade y', but make a statement that 'X is haram', it is merely a statement of what the sunnah is, the source being Rasulullah s.a.w

Remember, Ali ibn Abi Talib a.s is not just a 'shia imam', he is the companion of Rasululllah s.a.w who was with him from birth to very end of the life of the prophet. Therefore, if we get the majority of our ahadith about Rasulullah s.a.w , including what he said or did , from Ali ibn Abi Talib a.s, we are actually getting it from a companion who was with him for the longest period of time.

because they believe most of the companions were either heretics or apostatised after the death of the Prophet.
    Again, another total misrepresentation of the actual reality.

Interestingly if you look at the top ten narrators of ahadith in sunni works, four of them [who are in the top ten] are highly revered, or at least well respected by shia's. Jabir ibn Abdillah (radiyallahu anhu), Abdullah ibn Abbas (radiyallahu anhu), Abdullah ibn Masu'd (radiyallahu anhu), and Abu Sai'd Al Khudri (radiyallahu anhu).

The vast majority of ahadiths in sunni works actually come from a very small number of companions, did you know that [or are attributed to them]? In fact, the ahadith attributed from individuals like Hazrat Abu Bakr are barely a fraction to what is attributed to Abu Huraira.

Abu Hurayra narrated 5374 hadiths
    'Aisha Umm al-Mu'minin, 2210 hadiths
    Umar Ibn al-Khattab, 537 hadiths
    Ali Ibn Abi Talib, 536 hadiths
    Abu Bakr al-Siddiq, 142 hadiths

Therefore, even if one were to believe 'most of the companions were 'heretics' and we assumed that, it would not really change anything, given that the vast majority of ahadith are narrated by very few individuals.

Again, for us, it would not be Abu Hurairah narrating 6000 ahadith from Rasulullah s.a.w, to us, that man is Ali ibn Abi Talib a.s instead. Forgetting shi'i theology of him being an imam , and a preserver of the sunnah, if you count the actual years lived with Rasulullah s.a.w, the number Ali ibn Abi Talib a.s has ammounts to several times more than the first two top narrators combined.

If you consider how active he was, in battles, before the advent of Islam, during Makkah, during Medina, his experience of the Sunnah and of the day to day life of the Prophet s.a.w is unmatchable, and far greater than that of Abu Hurairah and Umm Aisha.

In fact, if you were to study the issue here, it isn't even restricted solely to some of the members of the companions. The issue is also due to those who came after, and i am talking about members from the umayyads and abbasids being in the chain, and falsely attributing ahadith to companions. Our belief is, geographical, political, and personal factors, among many others, influenced the fabrication of ahadith, particularly in later generations at a very volatile few centuries after the death of Rasulullah s.a.w

Additionally, there are many ahadith in the sihah al sitta we do accept. But many we do not accept, such as the ahadith about the fingers, hands, shin, foot of Allah azwj.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tawheed)
    Could i kindly request you not to continue the shia-bashing on the I-Soc? I've kept silent, but this has been occurring over a very extended period of time. I know a number of users who no longer want to use this thread[and have even PM'd me directly to tell me this], because of the hostility by some users. There is a thread that is in place for debates, and as you have posted on it, it would be better if you posted on there rather than continuing to make this thread feel extremely hostile.

Having legitimate theological disagreement with some groups isn't "bashing" though. You haven't kept silent, me and you have both spammed this thread with numerous debates and at one point you even mass quoted in the CT team in order to force things into the thread OP. I'm sure I've seen you post anti-salafi (or wahaabi/najdi as you like to call them) material in the ISOC at some point in the past too because I recall Ash debating you.Only the other day (or the other other day) you were implying a sunni user to be an Al Qaeda supporter because they preferred a khalifa (ruled by Qur'an and sunnah) over democracy. I feel that you apply rules and expectations unto others which you have no problem in not applying yourself. Anyway, moving on.

ReputationRep:
    Having legitimate theological disagreement with some groups isn't "bashing" though. You haven't kept silent,
    The user in question has persistently over the course of the last few weeks continually attacked shia Islam. I was done in a vicious and callous manner.

He has a right to have a theological debate, but the I-Soc is not the place you incite this. Because he was spreading misinformation, it is my duty to correct it, and to ask him to cease what he is doing and use the appropriate thread.

and at one point you even mass quoted in the CT team in order to force things into the thread OP.
    I asked for the OP to allow me to include a small section on shia resources, to enable this thread to better reflect that it is the Islamic society, and not purely the sunni society.

I re-call you wrote a post about how glad you were this did not occur, because how much of a 'deviant' i was ? Whereas i on the other hand, fought for not just my freedom, but also yours, to have the OP fairly represent both the shia and sunni madhabs.

I'm sure I've seen you post anti-salafi (or wahaabi/najdi as you like to call them) material in the ISOC at some point in the past because I recall Ash debating you. .
    I have never referred to anyone as a 'wahhabi' on here. I re-call you using your temporary accounts over a number of threads referring to me directly as a 'rafidha' however.

And when i asked you for peace, to open the doors of unity, brotherhood and respect, i re-call you telling me you want no unity with a deviant.

Only the other day (or the other other day) you were implying a sunni user to be an Al Qaeda supporter because they preferred a khalifa (ruled by Qur'an and sunnah) over democracy. I feel that you apply rules unto others which have you problem in not applying yourself. Anyway, moving on.
    Here we go again, using the terms 'sunni' to begin to imply something secterian.

All i have to say is, if you support a shariah shurah caliphate in syria, then the groups that will form such a caliphate will be:

1. Jabhat Al Nusra - the official alqaeda affiliate, irrespective of their rebranding, and arguably one of the most powerful groups.
    2. Ahrar Asham, founded by an alqaeda member, and works closely with al nusra
    3. Jaysh al Islam etc.

All i have to say is, whether or not you support Alqaeda or otherwise, if you support a shariah shurah caliphate of 'rebel' groups, you undoubtedly must recognise the role alqaeda affiliates will have in them.

Because of the unique situation we are in, i believe the only way to avoid this is to allow all the syrians, the sunnis, the christians, the alawi's, the jews, the druzes , the kurds, the shia's, to have a vote in a democratic manner to reflect the will of the syrian people, and not any external country.

Lastly, whether you choose to use words phrased in certain ways to misinterpret me or act disingenuous, i refer this matter to Allah azwj, who is the best of all judges. I ask you to cease attacking me, and if you want to continue this, debate on another thread, but this will be my last post.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much

Salamunalaikum,

As everyone else has mentioned, France probably isn't the best place for a muslim to either live or even study, given the nature of islamophobia there.

Birmingham has a large muslim population, it's pretty diverse in ethnicities too. London has a sizeable arab population, i know of many Lebanese here [if you'd consider living here, but i understand the costs].

Either way, may Allah azwj give you what is best for you (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beautifulxxx)

Also, any possibilities of praying in a nearby masjid? Or an area in general where there isn't too many people?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's no mosque nearby as my work is in the outskirts of the area in the countryside near the motorway lol.

I suppose there's not many now, as they have put like a board so not many can see. There is a spare class room but thats mainly in use.

Its just awkward as people may not understand what your doing when your going up and down in sujood lol. When asians are there I dont mind as they know what your doing.

Sometimes its funny like you could see us standing, but the board was covering like our legs and you just saw our heads bobbing up and down lol.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much

Hey!I'm Lebanese too I was in a similar position to you last year. I applied to a few UK universities, American University of Beirut and Université Saint Joseph in Lebanon, a Canadian one, and Pantheon Assas in Paris. Generally I'd say UK universities are better, but it depends on you and your preferences. I was torn between Assas and the UK ones, but in the end chose Assas because it was still a good Law school without the excessive costs. Like you I was really nervous about going abroad, but I was more excited than anything else. I missed home a lot at first, but I adapted pretty quickly and really enjoy studying in Paris.
    Feel free to ask any more questions

Salams everyone. Hope you're all okay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak143244)
    Salams everyone. Hope you're all okay
    y r u not in skl smh..

(Original post by mariam687)
    y r u not in skl smh..
    Lol I'm not well, I had to take a day off...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2016
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.