Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I have been teaching for more than thirty years and was a subject mentor for two different universities for eight years and this thread makes me realise I would never pass a PGCE nowadays. I pity all of you, I sincerely do. Good luck to all of you.
    I pity us all too :awesome: . I'm 99% sure I don't want to go into teaching, I'm just trying to get the qualification rather than drop out. Every single extra day I complete on placement puts me off even more. And yet, for all the negativity surrounding people's experiences, I seem to be the only one on my course with all these doubts. Everyone else is finding it hard, but rewarding, and have no doubts about entering the profession.

Also, out of curiosity - do the school get some sort of incentive to take on trainees? It just looks like a lot of extra work for no reward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I pity us all too :awesome: . I'm 99% sure I don't want to go into teaching, I'm just trying to get the qualification rather than drop out. Every single extra day I complete on placement puts me off even more. And yet, for all the negativity surrounding people's experiences, I seem to be the only one on my course with all these doubts. Everyone else is finding it hard, but rewarding, and have no doubts about entering the profession.

Also, out of curiosity - do the school get some sort of incentive to take on trainees? It just looks like a lot of extra work for no reward.
    I don't know what the system offers these days as I stopped doing it nearly 20 years ago and I just haven't asked the question lately, but there used to be a payment per student to the school for the school to spend as it liked. I was stunned to find at mentors' meetings that other schools paid the money to the mentor, since I was paid nothing for doing it. Still, that helped me give it up with a clear conscience when I got fed up with it. It became clear to me that I was essentially doing the university's work for them for no pay and when I finally got a student who both I and the central mentor felt should actually fail (there was only one, and she was a danger to children) and the university took no notice of our concerns, I felt that the job I was doing was of no value to them if I actually applied judgement to it. So I quit.

I'm glad that people still want to do the job. I've no idea why they do, when I've had a bad day, but thank god they do.

ReputationRep:
    Had to take today off because of illness and I think I'm going to need to take tomorrow off too..
    Feel really anxious about taking tomorrow off though, but I can't speak and can barely go 5 minutes without a coughing fit...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what the system offers these days as I stopped doing it nearly 20 years ago and I just haven't asked the question lately, but there used to be a payment per student to the school for the school to spend as it liked. I was stunned to find at mentors' meetings that other schools paid the money to the mentor, since I was paid nothing for doing it. Still, that helped me give it up with a clear conscience when I got fed up with it. It became clear to me that I was essentially doing the university's work for them for no pay and when I finally got a student who both I and the central mentor felt should actually fail (there was only one, and she was a danger to children) and the university took no notice of our concerns, I felt that the job I was doing was of no value to them if I actually applied judgement to it. So I quit.

I'm glad that people still want to do the job. I've no idea why they do, when I've had a bad day, but thank god they do.
    Oh that's interesting. Yeah, my mentor was telling me that they usually get their trainees from the other uni near me, but last year my mentor didn't feel that the trainee should pass, and the university blamed the mentor and now won't deal with that school just because she was honest about it. So I can totally believe what you're saying. I mean...feels reassuring for us knowing how hard it seems to be to fail, but I can imagine it leaves a lot of doubt from the point of view of the school.

Are you planning on teaching for much longer?

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's interesting. Yeah, my mentor was telling me that they usually get their trainees from the other uni near me, but last year my mentor didn't feel that the trainee should pass, and the university blamed the mentor and now won't deal with that school just because she was honest about it. So I can totally believe what you're saying. I mean...feels reassuring for us knowing how hard it seems to be to fail, but I can imagine it leaves a lot of doubt from the point of view of the school.

Are you planning on teaching for much longer?
    Going at the end of this year. You know when it's time to go.

The uni didn't pull out of the partnership with us, although as it was such a long time ago, it's possible that they would do so now. I just felt that I was being expected to be professional in what I was doing with the trainees yet they didn't respect my professional judgement when it suited them, nor that of the central mentor either.

ReputationRep:

Could you be more elaborate? Did she had mental health problems or some sort of psychopathic behaviour?

ReputationRep:
    Exhausted. I had the class by myself all day yesterday. It was fine but because it was unexpected I had lots of practical lessons which is less than ideal with no TA! Still, proud that I managed it!
    2 more days til placement finishes...I am really sad to be leaving, but feel the same ed for a break more than ever!

ReputationRep:
    Quick question for PGCE Primary students who started from Sept 2014 (2014/15 academic year). Did you get an ITT bursary? I've been checking here http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into...aduate-funding and with my first class degree, I should get £9,000. But this table is for 2015/16 academic year. Is it not in effect this year? I ask because I've secured a place to start Sept 2015 but there's an opportunity to start in February 2015. Feb would be classed as 2014/15 academic year. I'd love to start in Feb but if starting early means losing £9,000 this might affect my decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veggiechic6)
    Quick question for PGCE Primary students who started from Sept 2014 (2014/15 academic year). Did you get an ITT bursary? I've been checking here http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into...aduate-funding and with my first class degree, I should get £9,000. But this table is for 2015/16 academic year. Is it not in effect this year? I ask because I've secured a place to start Sept 2015 but there's an opportunity to start in February 2015. Feb would be classed as 2014/15 academic year. I'd love to start in Feb but if starting early means losing £9,000 this might affect my decision.
    Primary do get a 4k bursary but I'm not sure for the current year whether or not that goes up to 9,000 for a first. I presume it does as it does with my subject and other non priority subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veggiechic6)

(Original post by Samus2)
    Primary do get a 4k bursary but I'm not sure for the current year whether or not that goes up to 9,000 for a first. I presume it does as it does with my subject and other non priority subjects.
    I'm pretty sure it is still £9000 for a first for this academic year. No need to worry! You lucky thing :P

ReputationRep:
    I've still not started my placement yet. Did some team teaching with someone in my class and was going to take a GCSE class this week but couldn't do it as been signed off by my GP; however these hours were just to cover for a teacher whose off. I'm worried I'm not going to get enough hours to pass the course and wondering if I'm just wasting my time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    I've still not started my placement yet. Did some team teaching with someone in my class and was going to take a GCSE class this week but couldn't do it as been signed off by my GP; however these hours were just to cover for a teacher whose off. I'm worried I'm not going to get enough hours to pass the course and wondering if I'm just wasting my time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I feel quite similar to you. I have had quite a lot of absence, and I'm due to have even more for an operation. Most people on my course have been teaching loads, but I think maybe in total I've taught about ten hours so far....when I should have been doing seven a week for the past month or so. The next couple of weeks won't add much to this either, for various reasons.

I feel extremely ill equipped for the next placement. I'm dreading it.

ReputationRep:
    I feel quite similar to you. I have had quite a lot of absence, and I'm due to have even more for an operation. Most people on my course have been teaching loads, but I think maybe in total I've taught about ten hours so far....when I should have been doing seven a week for the past month or so. The next couple of weeks won't add much to this either, for various reasons.

I feel extremely ill equipped for the next placement. I'm dreading it.
    Sorry to hear that, when do you start your next placement?

I was meant to start it early October however my mentor went on bereavement leave. She's been back since and I've emailed her quite a few times which she didn't reply to and managed to get hold of her once on the phone (she said she'd ring me back but she didn't). A few people on my course are in the same boat as me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Taught my year 8s today and I loved it and my feedback was good. It's my first mentor observation first thing tomorrow and I'm just hoping my differentation is enough to cover me because that's the one thing I get pulled on. I'm doing it, I just need to do more is all.

One of the pupils I was helping out in an after school session said I was a brilliant teacher and it's really made my week :')

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm an NQT who just qualified from a BE.d in Primary Ed this year. During my training I noticed there wasn't many good websites for trainee primary school teachers (apart from TES/resource sites).

I'm putting together a professional site to help trainee's and would love to know what kind of things you'd like to see on there. E.g. advice on observations, getting into Uni, personal statements, lesson plan ideas, display photos, downloads.

Any feedback would be appreciated and I'll make sure to come back and provide a link to the website when its ready

Steph

Please quote me so I can see your reply!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm an NQT who just qualified from a BE.d in Primary Ed this year. During my training I noticed there wasn't many good websites for trainee primary school teachers (apart from TES/resource sites).

I'm putting together a professional site to help trainee's and would love to know what kind of things you'd like to see on there. E.g. advice on observations, getting into Uni, personal statements, lesson plan ideas, display photos, downloads.

Any feedback would be appreciated and I'll make sure to come back and provide a link to the website when its ready

Steph

Please quote me so I can see your reply!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    Sorry to hear that, when do you start your next placement?

I was meant to start it early October however my mentor went on bereavement leave. She's been back since and I've emailed her quite a few times which she didn't reply to and managed to get hold of her once on the phone (she said she'd ring me back but she didn't). A few people on my course are in the same boat as me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Early October? So do you have three placements? I have two placements...first one is the one I'm on now and that's until Christmas, and I start the next on Feb.

Sorry to hear about your mentor. It is an awkward one. At least you're not alone with this. I think schools and unis must have seen these types of things happen before!

I'm having a logistical nightmare trying to organise my observation. Which has been made even worse by me sending my really important-must-read-now-and-reply-fast e-mail to the wrong bloody e-mail address, so I was waiting all day for a reply and getting angry he wasn't replying and I hadn't even sent it to him. I feel like a flipping idiot! I blame outlook's "check names" feature. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Early October? So do you have three placements? I have two placements...first one is the one I'm on now and that's until Christmas, and I start the next on Feb.

Sorry to hear about your mentor. It is an awkward one. At least you're not alone with this. I think schools and unis must have seen these types of things happen before!

I'm having a logistical nightmare trying to organise my observation. Which has been made even worse by me sending my really important-must-read-now-and-reply-fast e-mail to the wrong bloody e-mail address, so I was waiting all day for a reply and getting angry he wasn't replying and I hadn't even sent it to him. I feel like a flipping idiot! I blame outlook's "check names" feature. :lol:
    We don't have a set number of placements just need to do 100 teaching hours; mines FE so guess Primary and Secondary are done differentially. Its annoying but easy done Ive made mistakes like that myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've been told I will fail my first placement , if I pass my second placement would I get the QTS? or would I need to repeat my first placement?

Anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itstough)
    Hi, I've been told I will fail my first placement , if I pass my second placement would I get the QTS? or would I need to repeat my first placement?

Anyone know?
    Sorry to hear that! Have you had any feedback as to why?

I'm pretty sure that at my uni you redo 1st placement when you would have done 2nd.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.