Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    OMG THE OPENING SCENE!!! I'm In HYSTERICS!!! That was ****ing funny.

ReputationRep:
    Well that was the best Christmas episode ever. Anyone who disagrees is wrong.

But I thought Clara was supposed to be going. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    I watched the episode yesterday and I have to say I liked it. The whole "metaphorical Santa is actually your subconscious but actually not because he's real" thing was a little bit odd, but Nick Frost was a great Santa and overall the episode was a good one. I'm glad that Clara is staying for a while more, I never liked the way they parted in the ending of season 8 because it seemed like a bit of a forced exit. Also, as soon as she got attacked by the dream-insect-thing (can't remember the name for the life of me) I called that she was gonna end up killing herself so she could live with Danny so I'm glad that they anticipated that guess and made sure it didn't happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingStannis)
    OMG THE OPENING SCENE!!! I'm In HYSTERICS!!! That was ****ing funny.
    I'm not sure we watched the same episode...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    I'm not sure we watched the same episode...
    It was hilarious. I loved the irony.

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed Last Christmas, sure it was very Inception/Alien but I liked Capaldi and Frost in this one and the ensemble cast were good as well. It was nice just to have a standalone episode for Christmas as opposed to last year's and the End of Time. Hopefully Series 9 is a marked improvement, Last Christmas was certainly a decent episode and perhaps Moffat's best one as well.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cupcakes87)
    i liked it! was quite good! but watch and see what you think!
    It was lot better than I expected, enjoyed it:ahee:
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by getfunky!)
    It was lot better than I expected, enjoyed it:ahee:

woooooooo! :woo:

:five:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    It's actually better than most Christmas episodes. Felt more like a normal mid-series episode than a Christmas special, apart from the appearance of Santa from time to time...
    :yep: it did feel like a mid-series episode, much better than previous Christmas specials, and I did enjoy Nick Frost as Santa Claus:daydreaming: no loose ends in the episode ..well none that I can think of
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aula)
    Watch it before you pass judgement :hmmm:

I spoke to someone in a shop yesterday who admired my t-shirt (which was a Doctor Who/Anna from frozen crossover :love:) and had a nice little conversation about the special. Turns out they cried through the episode :mmm: (though they did admit that they'd had quite a lot to drink...)
    Okay it was a great episode, much better than I expected it to be, especially with Nick Frost.

aha cried through that episode, the small twist of 62 years was sorta ..emotional, maybe, I dunnodunno:lol:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'll be doing whatever snow does in summeeeeeer!:ahee:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by getfunky!)
    Okay it was a great episode, much better than I expected it to be, especially with Nick Frost.

aha cried through that episode, the small twist of 62 years was sorta ..emotional, maybe, I dunnodunno:lol:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'll be doing whatever snow does in summeeeeeer!:ahee:
    You ruin all my plans to be productive with your awesome avatar...I just watch it far too long!

:console:

ReputationRep:
    I have a sneaky suspicion that they're still dreaming.

ReputationRep:
    The only bad things about the episode were the annoying elves and Clara staying on:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Really hope Clara gets killed off (no offence Jenna - I think you're a great actress!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The issue now with Clara is that she is embedded into the Dr's timeline. Surely that must mean that some form of her stays with the Doctor until he dies?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    You ruin all my plans to be productive with your awesome avatar...I just watch it far too long!

:console:
    :mmm: it has that effect, it's just missing a Christmas hat!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomtjl)
    The issue now with Clara is that she is embedded into the Dr's timeline. Surely that must mean that some form of her stays with the Doctor until he dies?
    Yeah meaning in theory we could be stuck with her awful character for a very long time..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJAKEE)
    Yeah meaning in theory we could be stuck with her awful character for a very long time..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I actually like Clara, it just means that we would have to see her even after Clara leaves for the story to make any form of sense.

I don't really understand the Clara hate, I think she's a great character.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomtjl)
    I actually like Clara, it just means that we would have to see her even after Clara leaves for the story to make any form of sense.

I don't really understand the Clara hate, I think she's a great character.
    She's just annoying.. I blame Moffat for this but her story I don't find very interesting whatsoever. You can tell in an average story doctor will give a solution to something, Clara will give some sort of snarky comment to add to it and then story goes on there with some overplayed dramatic music. I don't find how she adds anything to the show compared to the likes of Donna, Rose, or even Amy, I like many think the Danny/Clara thing didn't really connect to anyone.

On a side note I think they need to get rid of Moffat. I think he seriously messed up the latest series with Capaldi especially the finale where he missed the opportunity to seriously use Missy as a true manipulator (the trailer was extremely misleading too, I thought Clara was going to go against the doc!). He's made the show too lovey dovey and I know he's tried to get away from that with Capaldi but it just hasn't worked on me. I miss the David Tennant days...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What really annoyed me about the Christmas special was the fact that they left the dream crabs without a fight! Yes they woke up from the dream but the dream crabs are still alive and on Earth! Arghhhhh

I just feel the story lines are getting worse unfortunately.. I have come to like Peter Capaldi and Danny Pink! But not sure about Clara, her relationship with the doctor confuses me, she was in love with the old doctor being the 'impossible girl' but now they changed it into a weird and disorientated relationship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.