Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Balotelli went for 22 million and I don't think Higuain is better than him despite his antics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Balotelli went for 22 million and I don't think Higuain is better than him despite his antics
    Balotelli is better in fact. When motivated(which he wasn't at city but now at milan) balo will get goals and bring people into the game better than higuain. Also has more pace and probably better at holding up the ball.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Balotelli is better in fact. When motivated(which he wasn't at city but now at milan) balo will get goals and bring people into the game better than higuain. Also has more pace and probably better at holding up the ball.
    Balotelli when hes happy which I think he is now at Milan is so good to watch so powerful and ruthless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Balotelli when hes happy which I think he is now at Milan is so good to watch so powerful and ruthless.

worth 22m easily to Milan because he's motivated there, but in the EPL, I wouldnt offer more than 15m for him tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    worth 22m easily to Milan because he's motivated there, but in the EPL, I wouldnt offer more than 15m for him tbh.
    I would agree with this when hes not happy and sulking he becomes a detriment to the team you wonder if he will screw up or lose the plot but if hes somewhere motivated and happy :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Balotelli obviously had special circumstances, he'd fallen out with the manager at City, and with his antics both on and off the field was a massive risk for a club, not to mention he was on £180k a week at City and only took a pay cut because he was moving to Milan, City had to take a reduced fee to shift him.

ReputationRep:

Its not about in which league he plays, its his role in the team. At City they had great attacking talent that crowed Balo out. As soon as he got to Milan El Shaarawy took a dip in form, he was Milan's best player during first half of the season but now all the play funnels through to Balo something which we never saw in City.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Ignorant of what exactly? £22m is not big money in the world of football, and doesn't in normal circumstances buy big players, especially not striker where you always pay a premium. £22m is a lot of money for Arsenal, but who else at the top is even hesitant to drop that kind of money? Aston Villa were willing to pay that for Darren Bent. If Higuain is a top striker ready to lead a team to a title for £22m and £130k p/w, first of all why are Madrid letting him go, and why is no one else making a move for him? My opinion of Cazorla was already in there, no one else was in for him and he had special circumstances so you go him cheap. "taking the risk on players under performing than taking a risk on over paying" is doesn't mean all players are rubbish, obviously you do get a diamond in the rough. It almost always does mean a drop off in quality, you are relying on quickly getting unknown players or player being underestimated.
    Juventus would buy him, but they cant afford him. Which clubs in Europe with the cash to spend are even looking for a striker? Chelsea/City/Arsenal are about it. City/Chelsea always seem to want to spend in the 35m+ bracket anyway and I'll admit that Higuain is probably not a step up for City on Aguero etc anyway. But that doesnt mean he's not one of the top strikers in Europe. He's been good enough for Real for 5 years and his stats havent dropped. As has been said, Cazorla wasnt needed at any of the top clubs in Europe so we got him for peanuts but he's easily good enough to play for any team in Europe.

In football generally there is a huge premium these days for the perceived top top players. Cavani/Falcao/Bale/Suarez/Neymar all quoted at 40m+ when players like Higuain/Cazorla/Navas/Mandzukic/Reus can be bought for less than half the price whilst performing at a very similar level. Even a player like Podolski going for 10m is a no brainer when Hulk is going for 40m. Clubs like PSG/Monaco/City have no priority on value, so realistically, Arsenal are doing as well as they can with players like Higuain/Cazorla.

ReputationRep:
    Some really sour people on here. Few months ago I would have taken Jovetic over Higuain and still would but that looks unlikely. Now that we are close to signing Higuain, everyone else (not including the Arsenal fans obviously ) seems to think that the deal is somehow over-priced or that Higuain is not a quality player. He was at Real Madrid ffs, he's got exactly what we need. Just because he is now not in Real's plan anymore does not make him any less of a player. When Henry arrived at Arsenal, he was largely excluded from Juventus' first team and was the same with Bergkamp at Inter.

Cant really questions Wenger's signings even if people say he's losing his touch. Just look at the signings he made last summer- Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud who I still feel has a bright future with us. And how good does Mertesacker and Arteta look now and Jenkison looks like he's going to have a long career with us too and I remember how everyone cursed Wenger for bringing in another unproven teenager at that point.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely.

I think that he could have done well for us because he would be the first choice and playing almost every game

I'd definitely pay 25 million for him if we had to because man city wouldn't so readily agree to him coming to us

I would agree with this when hes not happy and sulking he becomes a detriment to the team you wonder if he will screw up or lose the plot but if hes somewhere motivated and happy :coma:
    I think he would be motivated and happy here. He would be first choice and playing every game. I doubt that he would become unhappy like he did at man city.

Balotelli obviously had special circumstances, he'd fallen out with the manager at City, and with his antics both on and off the field was a massive risk for a club, not to mention he was on £180k a week at City and only took a pay cut because he was moving to Milan, City had to take a reduced fee to shift him.
    I would have taken that chance

(Original post by sevchenko)
    Its not about in which league he plays, its his role in the team. At City they had great attacking talent that crowed Balo out. As soon as he got to Milan El Shaarawy took a dip in form, he was Milan's best player during first half of the season but now all the play funnels through to Balo something which we never saw in City.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    We've been linked with Rui Patrício, the Portugal keeper. But I know almost nothing about him. Any good?

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/t...nal-and-he-d-b

ReputationRep:
    Juventus would buy him, but they cant afford him. Which clubs in Europe with the cash to spend are even looking for a striker? Chelsea/City/Arsenal are about it. City/Chelsea always seem to want to spend in the 35m+ bracket anyway and I'll admit that Higuain is probably not a step up for City on Aguero etc anyway. But that doesnt mean he's not one of the top strikers in Europe. As has been said, Cazorla wasnt needed at any of the top clubs in Europe so we got him for peanuts but he's easily good enough to play for any team in Europe.
    I included Juv in the the clubs on the look out for a bargain. I would say for the most part, clubs are always in for strikers, we'd have taken Lew this window if we could despite us being overloaded. If Aguero or Cavani were being touted for £22m I think you'd see plenty of clubs come out of the woodwork for them. I'd say he's a good striker but top, you'd be expanding your definition of top to 15-20 odd players across the 5 leagues. Cazorla had circumstances where no one was in for him and club selling him were in dire financial need, even if no one else is in for Higuain why are Madrid so keep to sell him? He's not expensive, they only have 2 established strikers, and he's 25.

so realistically, Arsenal are doing as well as they can with players like Higuain/Cazorla.
    No doubt I agree, what I'm saying is he not signalling a shift in policy, the main reason for the interest in Higuain is the price not the quality. Value in the market is one thing, but with the CL and progression worth the money it is, looking for value in the market is not the reason Wenger's transfer record is 15m, the same as when SAF was talking about no value in the market its a case of trying to save money and not take risks, there is value at both ends of the market as Ronaldo and Martinez have proved.

I don't think Higuain is a bad player or a bad buy, he's a great buy from Wenger. I'm just pointing to the idea he's a big signing and departure from usual policy which isn't true. If he carries the form over to Arsenal he'll be a top player. He's a 1 in 2 striker in a team which averages 3+ goals a game.

ReputationRep:
    Is higuain most likely coming to us. Too many newspapers saying different things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    Some really sour people on here. Few months ago I would have taken Jovetic over Higuain and still would but that looks unlikely. Now that we are close to signing Higuain, everyone else (not including the Arsenal fans obviously ) seems to think that the deal is somehow over-priced or that Higuain is not a quality player. He was at Real Madrid ffs, he's got exactly what we need. Just because he is now not in Real's plan anymore does not make him any less of a player. When Henry arrived at Arsenal, he was largely excluded from Juventus' first team and was the same with Bergkamp at Inter.

Cant really questions Wenger's signings even if people say he's losing his touch. Just look at the signings he made last summer- Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud who I still feel has a bright future with us. And how good does Mertesacker and Arteta look now and Jenkison looks like he's going to have a long career with us too and I remember how everyone cursed Wenger for bringing in another unproven teenager at that point.
    I wish I was on Twitter and TSR when we first signed Koscielny just to see all the people complaining about signing another unknown french player from Ligue 2.

I don't think Higuain is a bad player or a bad buy, he's a great buy from Wenger. I'm just pointing to the idea he's a big signing and departure from usual policy which isn't true. If he carries the form over to Arsenal he'll be a top player. He's a 1 in 2 striker in a team which averages 3+ goals a game.
    Well, he is a big buy for Arsenal. Arsenal fans like myself see this as a big buy simply because, unlike other teams, we're not used to top players signing for us for big fees. Our biggest fee we've EVER paid for a player in our history is £15m! What with the stadium debt too, Arsenal fans are always a bit cautious on saying we could get such-and-such player because, although the £70m figure gets thrown around a lot, no fans know exactly the constraints on Wenger financially so we have no idea who we can afford. Considering most people on this forum will be late teens/early 20's, most don't know of an Arsenal without Arsene Wenger, and for as long as we've had Wenger, 99% of our buys have not been top players - Thierry Henry as we all know was not even a proper striker before he came to Arsenal and RVP was signed for a ridiculous fee like £3m I think. So Arsenal fans have every right to get excited, in my opinion.

it's excellent to do business so early as well, it's a good statement of intent to other players who are on our radar and will give a boost to the team of what we can achieve. I can understand why your average football fan who is used to £20/30 even 40m signings (this is not meant as a bash, just opinion really) don't see Higuain as a big deal, but Arsenal fans have never experienced a £20m+ transfer in history which is why we're excited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    Considering most people on this forum will be late teens/early 20's, most don't know of an Arsenal without Arsene Wenger, and for as long as we've had Wenger, 99% of our buys have not been top players - Thierry Henry as we all know was not even a proper striker before he came to Arsenal and RVP was signed for a ridiculous fee like £3m I think. So Arsenal fans have every right to get excited, in my opinion.
    Wenger came to arsenal before I was born!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    So Arsenal fans have every right to get excited, in my opinion.
    I never teams couldn't get excited, I was simply pointing to people being a bit ahead of themselves on what this actually means for the club.

it's excellent to do business so early as well, it's a good statement of intent to other players who are on our radar and will give a boost to the team of what we can achieve. I can understand why your average football fan who is used to £20/30 even 40m signings (this is not meant as a bash, just opinion really) don't see Higuain as a big deal, but Arsenal fans have never experienced a £20m+ transfer in history which is why we're excited.
    I don't think excitement has anything to do with price, Berbatov certainly wasn't my most exciting United signing. All my favourite signings of recent years have been beneath £20m, Hernandez, Kagawa, De Gea.

ReputationRep:
    With City seeming to not be moving for Cavani, will they for Higuain?! We need to stop dithering and buy him quick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    With City seeming to not be moving for Cavani, will they for Higuain?! We need to stop dithering and buy him quick.
    Like Gazidis said, it's difficult to negotiate with a club that has no manager. Arsenal have agreed personal terms with Higuain and Madrid are just waiting to see if their new manager wants Higuain to stay or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basiji)
    Like Gazidis said, it's difficult to negotiate with a club that has no manager. Arsenal have agreed personal terms with Higuain and Madrid are just waiting to see if their new manager wants Higuain to stay or not.
    Higuain already stated he wanted to leave when he knew a new manager will be appointed. He wants to leave Real regardless of who gets appointed. Real Madrid just want to keep face for a number of possible reasons.

1) Selling Higuain now would make it appear like they are undermining new coach (likely Ancelotti) who wouldn’t get a chance to say if he wants to keep Higuain (even if we know he wants to leave).

2) So far the big off season story for Real Madrid has been Mourinho’s departure, makes sense that Real Madrid wants the next big story line to be the naming of his successor rather than the sale of a big name

3) Announcing the Higuain sale around the same time as a big purchase (Bale, Cavani or Suarez) would make his departure less of a big story, and still having him on the roster would make Real Madrid appear less desperate when negotiating the purchase of his replacement.

Source :http://www.juvefc.com/blog/?p=2523 Interesting Juve blog btw

Its all political at Madrid. Every president has an agenda, It all about how they get perceived.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely.

I think that he could have done well for us because he would be the first choice and playing almost every game

I'd definitely pay 25 million for him if we had to because man city wouldn't so readily agree to him coming to us

I think he would be motivated and happy here. He would be first choice and playing every game. I doubt that he would become unhappy like he did at man city.

You do realise alot of Balotelli's unhappiness wasn't to do with City. He loved it there and especially Mancini-who's probably as close to a father figure he will get in the footballing world. It was more to do with this country as a whole- the media and pundit always on his case. Look at his press conference when he signed with Milan and refusal to answer the question from the sun journalist.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.