Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashtwe;[url="tel:60441723")
    60441723[/url]]To all English applicants, a few queries:
    1) Can the written work be type written, marked, then scanned and sent? Or
    should it be handwritten?
    2) Can we use bold/italic font to highlight a point?
    My teacher's never really done this before, so:
    3) What does my teacher fill in in the cover sheet if no assistance was given?
    None? Or does that reflect badly or something?
    4) What does my teacher write for 'context of submitted work'? (It was done over
    a weekend) Homework assignment?
    5) I'm studying at a uni already, but the teacher marking my essay is from my high school. In this case, what would 'current or more recent school' be? My uni or my previous high school?
    Help ASAP!
    1) yes it can, most colleges prefer PDF files anyway
    2)I don't know for certain but I don't think you should, you should structure your sentences do what needs emphasising is emphasised without the need for italics
    3) just put none
    4) both, so mine was homework assignment, and one week
    5) i think fill in your school, (but double check this!!) and your most recent because it is most likely to be your best

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaddy_Dee;[url="tel:60400749")
    60400749[/url]]The ELAT was FANTASTIC. (Not.)

I'll admit it was way easier than I expected, but I didn't bother planning my essay. Which turned out okay because if I had spent 30 mins planning, like the paper advised, then I wouldn't have finished on time.

Feel like I did good, but not good enough. If I get an interview I won't be surprised. IfI don't then I won't be surprised either.
    How long did you spend planning then? I took up the whole 30 and felt I needed to spend longer 😭. It's just way too short! But I thought this Elat was better than some of the previous ones hbu?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm only in year 10 but I was wondering about GCSEs options. I'm doing PE which is often considered as a less academic subject. Will this put me at a disadvantage if I want to go to Oxbridge? My other options are triple science RS history French and additional maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashtwe)
    It's a long story, my professor at uni set me a topic to write on and then suddenly backed out of correcting it. He said that he would be unable to do it and that I should go to 'someone else'. This was yesterday, four days before the deadline! I emailed Oxford, asked if I could send in my essay a little later because I had to find another professor, or if I could get it marked by my high school teacher. They replied saying I could do the latter, as they can't extend the deadline. So now, I'm running around for that!
    The course I'm currently doing has no English Lit in it, so I haven't done English lit since I finished school in March! Which is why I'm wondering about the assistance question on the cover sheet.
    Good luck to you too! It sounds like you've got your plate full!
    You did the right thing by informing Oxford about changing the teacher.
    English literature? That's awesome! What college were you allocated to? I applied for Chinese language and got allocated to Pembroke.
    Thanks, I wish you the same!
    Oh yeeees, I have, but I won't complain because I'd would anything related to Oxford!

(Original post by Saga1997)
    Does anyone still need to send in their written work? I'm sorting mine out on Monday
    Hopefully, I should finish emailing mine on Monday. Let's see.
    I sent mine this morning. Thank God, it's over. Now we can only wait...
    Don't send them the last minute, though. Send written work till Tuesday, but not on Tuesday...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone for Worcester college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazzaion)
    Did anyone sit the CLAT for classics? How did you find it?
    There's a thread discussing it here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3698781
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foreverton)
    Hi I'm only in year 10 but I was wondering about GCSEs options. I'm doing PE which is often considered as a less academic subject. Will this put me at a disadvantage if I want to go to Oxbridge? My other options are triple science RS history French and additional maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, your subject choice at GCSE does not matter as long as it allows you to take the A Levels you need to take. Your grades are more important than the subjects you take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegalUnd)
    Anyone for Worcester college?
    Me! Music applicant What are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nancy97)
    You did the right thing by informing Oxford about changing the teacher.
    English literature? That's awesome! What college were you allocated to? I applied for Chinese language and got allocated to Pembroke.
    Thanks, I wish you the same!
    Oh yeeees, I have, but I won't complain because I'd would anything related to Oxford.
    I got St.Catherine's. Didn't really know which college to pick, so I made an open application.

ReputationRep:
    Regarding written work. Has anyone had an email confirming receipt of submitted written work. I've sent mine for History and Politics at Trinity (one piece of history written work sent as a PDF) and have not had an email confirming receipt, just an automatic reply saying they've got my email. When will I get an email saying that they've got my written work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Austenmiltonsa)
    1) yes it can, most colleges prefer PDF files anyway
    2)I don't know for certain but I don't think you should, you should structure your sentences do what needs emphasising is emphasised without the need for italics
    3) just put none
    4) both, so mine was homework assignment, and one week
    5) i think fill in your school, (but double check this!!) and your most recent because it is most likely to be your best

Hope that helps!
    It does, a lot. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    No, your subject choice at GCSE does not matter as long as it allows you to take the A Levels you need to take. Your grades are more important than the subjects you take.
    Okay thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    Regarding written work. Has anyone had an email confirming receipt of submitted written work. I've sent mine for History and Politics at Trinity (one piece of history written work sent as a PDF) and have not had an email confirming receipt, just an automatic reply saying they've got my email. When will I get an email saying that they've got my written work?
    Did your college say that they would send you a receipt?Mine said that they'd be unable to acknowledge received work, but would contact us if they didn't receive it.

ReputationRep:
    Did your college say that they would send you a receipt?Mine said that they'd be unable to acknowledge received work, but would contact us if they didn't receive it.

No information on whether they'd be able or unable to acknowledge. The automatic reply did say to allow for 5 days for a response so I guess I'll wait a bit longer. Thanks for your reply btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    No information on whether they'd be able or unable to acknowledge. The automatic reply did say to allow for 5 days for a response so I guess I'll wait a bit longer. Thanks for your reply btw
    No problem. And good luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omni Vanitas)
    Me! Music applicant What are you applying for?
    Ahh that's cool! What do you play?
    I'm applying for Law

ReputationRep:
    sent my written work off to Brasenose on Friday but haven't even received an automatic reply yet! hoping that their office is just perhaps closed for the weekend and that i'll get one on Monday but now i'm worried. did anyone else sending in written work to Brasenose get an automatic reply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegalUnd)
    Ahh that's cool! What do you play?
    I'm applying for Law
    Oboe and piano (2nd instrument)!

Awesome! Good luck to you! How did you find the LNAT?

ReputationRep:
    Just 2 quick questions:
    I am applying for PPE at Univ, and I was wondering when they would give me an answer for the interviews?
    Also, how did the TSA go for most people? I fell like I had around 30/50...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGrice)
    Oh my word I have the exact same problem! Can anyone help us out? (I'm applying to Somerville too— for English and French though. I haven't seen a lot of other Somerville applicants so it's nice to meet you!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah I haven't met anyone else applying to Somerville yet, so it's nice to meet you too! Hopefully we'll both get interviews

I just submitted another essay in the end because didn't want to risk it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.